Reload this Page >

Anybody stay @Fairmont in New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 01:07 PM
evan

Thinking of going for long weekend please advise on location and must see's while their
Thank You

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 03:10 PM
Jim

I have stayed at the N.O. Fairmont and it was all good. It's a few blocks from Bourbon Street but not at all removed from the 'action'. The hotel is older and more traditional and the staff is wonderful. If you are member of their Presiden't Club, it's definitely worth the stay. If you're only there for a weekend, check out Bourbon Street and cram in all the local restaurants you can. 5 meals a day!

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 08:15 AM
marilyn

Stayed at the NO Fairmont 5-6 years ago and HATED it. The lobby was dark and gloomy, the rooms not especially nice, and the neighborhood felt very seedy, especially at night. You would be much better staying IN the French Quarter, and not a few (seedy) blocks away.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 09:21 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I would echo the above poster's advice to stay in the Quarter if possible. There are lots of great hotels in the Quarter whose charm and atmosphere can add a lot to a N.O. experience.

Having said that, the location of the Fairmont (I've not been there) is about as close as you can get without being in the Quarter. The distance is very small - just across Canal Street. Only on the hotest days will you wish you were closer. While Canal Street can be a little intimidating, it's not too bad.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 10:44 AM
Helen

Hi! Stayed at the Fairmont in '94. The rooms are average, and the lobby is typical - not dark and gloomy. During Mardi Gras, one of the parades comes in from one street through the lobby and out to another street. The best thing about staying outside of the Quarter is leaving the party behind when you want to sleep! I've also stayed at Le Papillon which is 2 blocks further from the Quarter - loved it! Both are only a 5 minute walk from the Quarter. But, being in New Orleans, you won't be in your room except to sleep and change. Enjoy!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 08:24 AM
Byrd

I agree with earlier posters. Try the charming Quarter hotels with the lush courtyards and antique furnishings. We love the Provincial, De la Poste, Richelieu, and St. Louis. Try neworleans.com for info.