Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anybody know anything about the Renaissance Hotel in Washington D.C.?

Jun 30th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Alisa

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jun 30th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Ruth

Tell us where it is and those of us who live/work in DC can at least brief you on the neighborhood.

Jun 30th, 2000, 07:38 AM
ilisai

I assume (correct me if I am wrong) that you are talking about the Renaissance on 9th street near the MCI Center. The area has seen quite a revitalization in the past few years with the opening of the MCI Center. At one point I would not have recommended staying there, but now it is fine. It is not as convenient as some of the other hotels which are in walking distance to most of the Mall, but if you got a good rate, then don't worry. However, the hotel is one block from the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro which is very convenient. The hotel is in walking distance of Chinatown and the National Portrait Museum. All in all, it is not bad. The area is very quiet in the evenings and on weekends since it is primarily a business district. The only problem is there is a lot of construction going on in the area which can get very noisy during the day. I suspect that wouldn't be a problem since you will be out and about most of the time. The hotel itself is a large, standard chain. I have only attended conferences there, so I can't vouch for the conditions of the rooms. While you are there, take a walk over to the Discovery Channel store at MCI Center and play for a while as a nice diversion.

Jun 30th, 2000, 07:39 AM
martha python

As I recall, a poster not too long ago said she'd gotten burned by the DC Renaissance, and on her honeymoon, too.

Jul 1st, 2000, 06:26 PM
Alisa

I was referring to the Renaissance on 9th street by the MCI center. Do you know if the hotel is close to the White House and other tourist attractions? Thanks for the postings.

Jul 1st, 2000, 09:28 PM
Cammie

Alisa, the Renaissance is about 7 blocks from the White House. Once you get to the White House, you will be close to many other tourist attractions. There are many museums within walking distance of the hotel. I was employed at this hotel when it first opened. It was called the Ramada Renaissance. The rooms were very nice but that was 9 years ago. All in all the hotel is in a pretty good location for touring. Enjoy your trip.