Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anybody know anything about Hotel 31 in Manhattan, NY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I am still trying to get as much info about NYC before finalizing our plans for one night. I know that's not much to most on here, but that's all the time we will have.

I have found a Hotel 31 through another Web site that offers rooms at this place for $100 per night. I am not looking for a 5-star thing, or even 4-star. What I want is something safe with a private bathroom for a decent price, and $100 is more than such a price.

I realize by reading some of the responses on here and elsewhere that we are goign to have to conquer our fears of public transportation-- i.e., the subway, bus and taxi-- systems in cities like this. We just had a really awful experience in Paris a few years ago that makes us skiddish when dealing with this kind of stuff.

Anyway, anybody know anything along the lines of this hotel or one in that area with the private bathroom and the like for the right money mentioned?

Thanks
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM

I was intrigued and looked it up on tripadvisor.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Doesn't sound too bad, but is that a room with a shared bath or an ensuite bath?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

What is it with shared baths in NYC? I don't like people that much to share a bath with others I have no idea who they are or where they've been.

Maybe that's a little harsh, but in this day and age who knows?

I don't think it's too much to ask for a private bath at a reasonable price. But $74 difference in the price is just too much.

How have shared baths worked with others on here?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Shared baths are actually extremely uncommon in New York hotels, but of course it's the extreme budget hotels that have them. If you choose to look at the lowest possible prices, then it shouldn't be surprising that you'll find the lowest possible amenities. Your definition of $100 as a more than reasonable price is unreasonable, especially for your travel dates.

Also remember that even if your room has a private bath, somebody else was using it yesterday.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:00 AM

You are being quite unrealistic (to put it mildly!) about what you can get for $100 when it comes to hotels in New York City. You better either lower your expectations or increase your budget!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:09 AM

We don't know what your Parisien
metro experience was but would
strongly suggest you 'get over it'
in NYC...everyone takes public trans. here.

Your only problem is knowing what
lines to take & that can be easily remedied w/a free map available
at many tourist booths.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:13 AM

$100 is an extremely low budget for NYC - that's why you're getting listings with shared baths.

(The average hotel in NYC - not a 4* and certainly not in high season - is about $300 per night. A deluxe hotel in high season will be over $1000 per night.)

So - you're asking for something VERY difficult to find.

The Pod hotel has some rooms with bunk bed and shared bath - but is fairly new and gets good reviews. You might look at that. Of - you might try bidding Priceline - if you're willing to risk not knowing the hotel until after you pay.

Have you looked at travelzoo for your date?