Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any thoughts on my Itinerary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-thoughts-on-my-itinerary-558700/)

JKZ Sep 15th, 2005 11:13 AM

Any thoughts on my Itinerary?

I'm planning to make a 10 day trip to Utah/Arizona.
Will be flying to Salt Lake from NYC on Oct 1st morning.
Return is on Oct 10th morning from Salt Lake.
Here's my itinerary:

1. Reach SLC in the morning. drive to Moab.
2. Arches NP. Stay at Moab
3. Canyonlands NP. Stay at Monticello/Blanding/Bluff?
4. See Gooseneck, Monument Valley. Stay at Kayenta, AZ?
5. Drive to Page, AZ - see Lake Powell and other attractions. Stay at Page.
6. See Antelope Canyon. Stay at Kanab/Springdale. May be see Coral pink sand dunes park on the way.
7. Zion NP. Stay at Springdale
8. Drive to Bryce Canyon. Stay at Bryce.
9. Drive back to SLC - May be take the Alpine loop - see SLC Temple Square at night.
10. Early Morning flight back to NYC

What do you think? I really want to go to Capitol Reef NP from all thats said about it here but I cannot make it.
I'm still open to changes as I haven't reserved anything except the flight and rental car as yet.
I will really appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts.

Thanks!

fehgeddaboudit Sep 15th, 2005 11:32 AM

Trying to be helpful here : If yours was a magazine cover, few people would pick up the magazine. Get more people to open this message by including your city, time of year, something to get attn and good replies.

JKZ Sep 15th, 2005 11:35 AM

you're right..first time I'm ever posting something on a board. gotta get the hang of it.

christy1 Sep 15th, 2005 04:48 PM

Wow...you're going to great places but that trip is really rushed. You have only an afternoon at both Arches and Zion and less than a day at Bryce and Canyonlands! Unless you only want to see things from your car window, I'd concentrate on either SE or SW Utah, but not both.

amwosu Sep 15th, 2005 06:03 PM

My first thought was the same as feh..........it's- post with a new title that includes states' names so those who are in the know will comment. Otherwise, everyone will assume its yet another post about a first time to Hawaii and skip over it. My second thought is, "Can I come with?"

TheWeasel Sep 15th, 2005 08:37 PM

JKZ-Utahtea would have some good advice for you, if you can somehow draw her attention to this thread.
How set are you on the AZ portion of this trip? If you drop the AZ part, you could spend a little more time at everything else, and fit in Capitol Reef as well. If that is doable, it may work better to reverse your route, starting with Zion and ending with Arches. (maybe it wouldn't work better, or make any difference)

If you want to stick with your current plan, it looks like you could make it to Arches by late afternoon on the 1st. Go to the visitors center and sign up for the next day's Fiery Furnace hike. Then drive to the Delicate Arch trailhead at Wolfe Ranch and get hiking. The arch is best viewed at sunset, and would be a great way to get yourself in vacation mode after flying/driving much of the day. Check on sunset time before setting off so you're not stuck walking around in the dark.
Day 2-do the Fiery Furnace and whatever else interests you in Arches (Devil's Garden is my favorite, and much of the rest of the park can be seen while driving or on short hikes).
Day 3-Canyonlands is huge, so focus on either the Needles or Islands in the Sky district. You won't have time to go to both and do much of anything except look out your window.
After that, I have no advice because I've never been to any of the other places. I'd just suggest cutting something out to give yourself more time, although Page/L. Powell may be a nice way to break up the desert/canyon portions.

JKZ Sep 16th, 2005 07:33 AM

TheWeasel, Those were some very good advices. Just checked out the Fiery Furnace hike..looks exciting! will do it. http://climb-utah.com/Moab/furnace.htm

Think I can also make it to Delicate Arch for sunset on the first day which is around 7PM. I should be in Moab before 5PM.

My main intention of going to Page is to see Antelope Canyon. May be I can cut short Page to one night..drive from Kayenta to Page and see Antelope on the same day - day 5. Then wake up early and drive to Zion on Day 6.

Let me try and find Utahtea :)

TheWeasel Sep 16th, 2005 07:54 AM

JKZ
You could also consider skipping Canyonlands entirely, and staying in Monticello/Blanding the 2nd night, rather than Moab. That would get you closer to AZ, and you may be able to drive thru Monument Valley and reach Page by the night of day 3. I think you'll have to call and get a reservation time to tour Antelope Canyon (day 4), but after that you could head in the direction of Kanab. You'd be 2 days ahead of schedule by then, so Capitol Reef would definitely fit in.

I'd repost your itinerary with a more specific title (include the word Utah) and you'll get more responses. I'm sure Utahtea would notice and post.

TheWeasel Sep 16th, 2005 08:07 AM

JKZ-One last thing: the climb-utah website lists some good places to see petroglyphs/rock art as well as dinosaur tracks. I'd recommend visiting some of those places for a bit of variety. Sego Canyon was cool, although the bits of graffiti bothered me.

JKZ Sep 16th, 2005 08:14 AM

Thanks Theweasel.
I reposted the message at:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=0&start=0

Please reply there. Thanks!

gwburk Sep 16th, 2005 05:23 PM

We have driven this entire loop in recent years. I personally would omit Canyonlands altogether and spend more time at Arches. Maybe hike Delicate arch and hike out to Landscape arch. Canyonlands is picturesque, but not a
"hands on" park like Arches. It is more of a "take in the view park" considering your time constraints. Arches is more tourist friendly.
Day 3 drive down Highway 191 and then go west on Highway 95 at Blanding.
This will take you over to Natural Bridges Monument (3 natural bridges and an 8 mile loop road to view points). Plan on 2 hours (3 if you want to take a fairly easy hike to the
last bridge). From there go south on route 261 which will get you to the Goosenecks viewpoint. Continue south and you will descend 1,000 feet down the Moki Dugway for some excellent views. From there Highway 163 will take you to Kayenta, AZ. which is about 5 miles south of Monument Valley.
Day 4 tour Monument Valley and relax a little. Driving takes an hour longer than you plan in this part of the country. Day 5 drive to Page and stop to see Lake Powell along the way. This will be a 3 to 4 hour drive across some flat land in northern AZ.
Day 6 tour Antelope Canyon (I have never been there). Maybe someday!
Travel to Springdale, UT which is right next to Zion Park. You will want to take Highway 9 west at Mt. Carmel Jct. The drive thru that portion of the park is exceptional on your way to Springdale. You may want to go up the scenic drive this day.
Day 7 hike the river narrows ( in the river if the water level is low enough) One of the premier hikes in the world. Or hike Angels Landing or do some other less strenuous hikes.
Day 8 drive up to Bryce Canyon (2 hour drive) and take in the scenic drive and do a couple hikes. Take in sundown at sunset point.
Day 9 drive to Salt Lake. I would take highway 89 north up to Interstate 70 if you want a more scenic ride for a distance. Then I-70 over to I-15 north to Salt Lake.
Capitol reef is too far out of the way unless you cut out traveling down to Monument Valley and substitute driving to Zion via scenic Highway 12.
This would allow you to see a good scenic portion of Capitol Reef.
I hope this helps.

JKZ Sep 17th, 2005 12:49 PM

Hi gwburk, I will definitely print out your comments and take it along. All you guys have been so helpful. I have posted a follow up at the above link.