Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions on driving from Indianapolis IN to Raleigh area NC??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:39 PM
Sadie

Looking for advice on traveling this route by car. My "streets and trips" program suggests we go through Dayton OH and Charleston WV. Has anyone traveled this route to North Carolina? Is there a lot of construction right now? (leaving October 5, 2001!) According to the software...looks like a lot of consruction!! I had a little trouble posting this so if it duplicates I apologize! We would appreciate any suggestions!
Thank you!!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:43 AM
dan woodlief

That is one possible way to do the trip. We have driven between Madison, WI and Raleigh a couple of times. We always took the route via Cincinnati, Knoxville (TN), and Asheville (NC). I think this is highway 75 for the first part and then highway 40 for the last few hundred miles. I think this is a good route. The 74 part is pretty scenic, through Kentucky and Tennessee, and on good roads. The 40 part is also fairly scenic, quick, and will take you by several cities at which you might stop for food or gas (for example, Asheville (a great overnight stop), Greensboro, Burlington). I don't know what construction is taking place on those roads right now.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:22 AM
ncgrrl

Heavy construction (and possible delays) in the Greensboro, NC area. One way to avoid is to take I-77 from W.Va. until highway 58 in southern Virginia. Stay on 58 until Danville, VA and then take highway 86 south. Take 86 until I-40 in Hillsborough, NC and then take I-40 to Raleigh.

If you take I-77 to highway 52 (around Mt. Airy) into Winston-Salem, you will experience construction in Winston-Salem.

If you take I-77 to highway 421 to I-40 you will only have construction problems around Greensboro.

It really is a toss up over which way to go. If you are not in the area during rush hour I would suggest I-77 to 421 to I-40. If you like scenery and small towns, take I-77 to 58 to 86 to I-40.