Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any suggestions on a good time of year to visit Lady&Sons to avoid the crowds? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-suggestions-on-a-good-time-of-year-to-visit-lady-and-sons-to-avoid-the-crowds-285081/)

POWERPUFF71 Jan 16th, 2008 02:18 PM

Any suggestions on a good time of year to visit Lady&Sons to avoid the crowds?

Is there possibly any good time of year to avoid the lines at the Lady & Sons? And once you are in Savannah, is there a good time where you have a better chance of getting in? I would love to have a meal there but I don't think I could convice the others in my group to wait hours. Any advice?

Lee4 Jan 16th, 2008 05:35 PM

I've been twice--once in November (Thanksgiving week) and once in Feb.. When we went in Nov., they took reservations, so that helped a lot! When we went in Feb., we waited until the middle of the afternoon (I think around 2 or 3 p.m.) and had a late lunch. I don't recall there being much of a line at that time. Maybe it helped that we weren't there during a "peak" season for Savannah.

djkbooks Jan 16th, 2008 05:40 PM

We've been there during busy times.

All we had to do was get there (see website) a few minutes before they start taking names. There was a line, but it moved quickly. You may not get a time until 8, or later, so plan on a late lunch and how you will spend your a couple of hours once you've gotten a time.

We loved the food there. Though, we ordered off the menu and did not do the buffet, because the dinner specials were so appealing. I can still remember the Filet with Roquefort Sauce and the Fried Green Tomatoes! Wish I could duplicate them at home...

djkbooks Jan 16th, 2008 05:44 PM

PS On our first visit, we went on the Old Savannah Tours "Paula Deen Tour", which was a very nice tour. We were given an "insider" phone number and vouchers enabling us to phone for a time.

tzarinna Jan 16th, 2008 05:46 PM

I went solo, stood in line and got in no problem. That was a holiday weekend, Sunday. I think it was either Labor Day or Memorial Day weekend. I can't remember. :(
The place is deceptively huge and they make use of every space. I was seated at the bar along with another solo traveller and a bunch of other people. This was buffet, in the morning.

starrs Jan 16th, 2008 05:54 PM

From the website -

Monday through Saturday our host begins to take names for lunch at 9:30 am. But don't fret, if y'all can't get in for lunch, put your name on the list for dinner and join us then! Y'all can spend the day shopping downtown, rest up and then join us for a wonderfully delicious meal. Sunday, as always, is buffet only from 11am until 5 pm. Once again, the host will begin taking names at 9:30 am.

http://www.ladyandsons.com/news.php?view=7

starrs Jan 16th, 2008 05:56 PM

I think they give you the little vibrating square things so you can stroll around City Market, etc. and then go back when your table is ready. I'm not positive so call and ask (or email and ask).

I'm there a lot for work and often call in a sandwich order, pick it up at the souvenir kiosk inside and get to enjoy the food without losing work time to wait.

I'll be there in a couple of weeks so I'll check out how they are handling thing now.

persimmondeb Jan 16th, 2008 07:52 PM

I only went there once, and that was nearly 10 years ago, but we had no problem getting in. Now we didn't show up until close to nine o'clock, because we had been trying to get reservations to the Pink House, and then decided our clothes weren't up to that. We did see Paula Deen, but she didn't stop at our table. Now, this was before she was really a celebrity.

djkbooks Jan 16th, 2008 10:35 PM

That's new - being able to get your name on the dinner list at 9:30AM.

socaltraveler Jan 17th, 2008 11:35 AM

How large is your group?, because they will take a reservation over the phone for a group. Take a look at the website, and/or listen to the phone message, because I think they spell it out quite clearly. With some planning ahead, it sound like it will work out.

We are going to be there at the beginning of April, and they have been very good about working with our group.

flygirl Jan 26th, 2008 11:11 AM

I got very lucky in early December, I just happened to be walking by it, saw no line, and walked right in.

My parents and brother were visiting last weekend, and we got there at 11 AM and they were fully booked for the day. I'd say the earlier the better - I think they start taking same-day reservations at 930 AM.

texasjo Jan 26th, 2008 08:18 PM

We were there in early Nov, arrived about 2 p.m. hoping for late lunch. The line was around the block and names being taken were for 9:30 p.m. timeslot! We passed. We had been at her old place in March 2002 before her big fame and she was in the dining room and signed the cookbook we bought. It was her first one, small, ring-bound like one ladies of a church or club would do. Food was so very good and place so charming, and Paula smiling and friendly to everyone. Happy for her success but it's definitely harder to get in now. Good luck!