Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for the things to be done for a lonely traveller in Key West

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 08:58 PM
Nancy Gibson

I am planning for my vacation in next month. I am strongly recommended by my friends to visit Key West.

Can someone tell me what interesting activities for a lonely traveller does in that place?

Is Feb is a suitable time w/o young kids around?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:35 AM
George

Nancy: When my wife and I first went down to the Keys, we were struck by the friendliness of thepeople. It wasn't a southern-kind of friendliness (which I often find offputting,) but kind of natural nice.

Key West does have beaches, but if that's your thing, hunt out Ft Zachary Taylor while you're there. There's the bar and party scene. The Hemingway house, the sunset celebration, the waterfront... I always liked to bike around the island at least once during my stay.

February is before the spring-breakers arrive. However, it might be tough to find lodging. Check with http://fla-keys.com . There's a lot more information available there than I, or anyone else, can give.

Hope you can put it together. You WILL enjoy it!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:48 AM
grglnswsh

Working down here, I meet people all the time who travel by themselves and really enjoy what KW has to offer. There is much history here so if you are a history buff, you could spend days just visiting the museums and doing tours. There are some great places to dine and/or listen to music. There is much to do when it comes to water activities - it just depends on your adventure level. We have scuba, snorkel trips, ultra light tours, parasailing, sunset sails to name a few. The end of Feb is the start of Spring Breakers but we really do not get busy with them until the big Fla schools are out which is usually the first couple weeks in March. Pull up keywest.com for more info and ideas on lodging.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:25 AM
Viv

My husband and I found Key West people very friendly and nice in fact we did go our own separate ways on occasion so we could each do our own thing and it was great. Or another alternative is to give me a call and I will go with you!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Nicole

Back in my single days, I often made the drive to KW from Miami to decompress and relax. It is one of the best places is the world for solo travelers. Most of the people you will meet are the friendliest on the earth. Rent a bike, take the boat to the Dry Tortugas, watch the sunset celebration at Mallory and if you have a car, explore some of the lower Keys. You will have a wonderful time there.