Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any suggestions for decent accommodation in Flagstaff? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-suggestions-for-decent-accommodation-in-flagstaff-133280/)

Nadine Jun 28th, 2001 08:04 AM

Any suggestions for decent accommodation in Flagstaff?

We will be there for a couple of nights in late October and would like some suggestions or suggested locations. Thanks<BR><BR>(middle of the road pricing)

Jonathan Jun 28th, 2001 10:15 AM

When I stayed in Flagstaff I stayed in the Little America Hotel. It has a good location and a nice swimming pool.

Still Wondering Jun 28th, 2001 12:44 PM

We stayed at the Hampton Inn (nice, nothing special except for the indoor swimming pool) on a Saturday night in late May and were very surprised at the high number of trains we could hear blasting their whistles and horns. We thought they would cease about 7 or 8 PM; and although they decreased in number from about every 30 minutes, they continued throughout the night. We remarked on it to the lobby staff the next morning and were told that no matter where you are in that city, you could hear the trains.<BR><BR>I would have paid $10 for a pair of ear plugs about 1 AM!

Jim Rosenberg Jun 28th, 2001 03:23 PM

A couple of good suggestions already, but here's another: Continental Suites, 2200 E. Butler Ave, 520-779-6944. This was formerly a Howard Johnson hotel, with the franchise affiliation changing in late 2000. It's really great place to stay for a family, with ammenities including an indoor pool (we found the pool area to be better than average) and a 24-hour restaurant that seems equally popular with the locals -- always a good sign. It's a great place to stage from for your look at the awesome Grand Canyon, as well as other local sites of interest. The staff was quite knowlegeable about the local area and tourist information is available on-premises. Happy Trails!

David Jun 28th, 2001 09:29 PM

I think the hotels around Northern Arizona University are the best located. Little America is not extravagently priced, but it is high end for Flagstaff. I know the econo lodge near NAU(I40&amp;I17) is nice (despite being an econo lodge; others could be the Radisson Woodland (a bit pricey) DaysInn at I40 and I17; Another possibility if you are up for it is the INN at NAU; a student run hotel on campus that is part of their hotel management school. ALso, if your time in Flagstaff is a weekend, there may be a football game going on and rooms near the NAU area may be hard to find.<BR>A good place to eat is the BEAVER STREET WHISTLE STOP CAFE.

Betsy Jun 29th, 2001 10:41 AM

If it if or just you and your husband or significant other, there is a very nice B&amp;B called The Inn at 410. The Inn is ranked one of the top ten B&amp;B's in all of Arizona. The rooms are a little on the high end $135-$190.00 but well worth it.

Emily Jul 3rd, 2001 08:46 AM

Hi Nadine, <BR>I was just in Flagstaff this past weekend and stayed at the Radisson and the Residence Inn. I usually like both of these chains - but....the Radisson gave us a room that smelled of BO. We didn't switch because it was one night & with the window open it was bearable. Also - lots and lots of kids in running around this hotel. Residence Inn - a hotel employee walked in on me - without knocking! Terrible. <BR>For my money - I would stay at the Embassy Suites in Flagstaff. Great location, nice hotel - decent prices. Even better if you get the government rate.

Mike Jul 3rd, 2001 09:06 AM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites which is a little of the highway and close to the University. The free breakfast was an easy way to get started in the morning and evening drinks was a nice way to unwind. I would stay there if I go back through Flagstaff again.

Betty Jul 5th, 2001 05:12 AM

We just got back from Flagstaff and we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Beulah Blvd right off highway 17. The pool was great and the staff were really nice.