Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any suggestions for a Broadway Show? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-suggestions-for-a-broadway-show-206588/)

Debbie Nov 11th, 2001 02:30 PM

Any suggestions for a Broadway Show?

Hi, Can anybody suggest a Broadway Show that I can see next spring when I go back to New York City that I don't need to get a year in advance and doesn't break my pocketbook? Also,could you suggest where I can purchase them? I'm looking for something enjoyable and funny.Thanks.

marj Nov 11th, 2001 03:05 PM

Most full price theater tickets are in the same price range. If you want to save, check out www.playbill.com for specials. Or you can by 'day-of' tickets when you're here at the TKTS booths for 25 - 50% off. Check out the website http://newyork.citysearch.com/featur...s_generic_12_6 for more info. There are many posts here about ways to get discount. Try a search on "discount broadway tickets". Many decent plays do have tickets available at a discount.

advisor Nov 12th, 2001 10:42 AM

Debbie everybody's taste differs, you should read the reviews in the N.Y. Times, then you can tell what appeals to you. For instance, some people hate musicals. Others prefer straight romance, while I like mysteries. It's no different than knowing what movie you are going to pick.

Debbie Nov 12th, 2001 11:04 AM

Advisor,I know this is going to sound corny but I absolutely loved <BR>'The Sound of Music".It was a charming,wonderful movie with lot's of great sing-a-long music! I like lot's of music and dancing.Maybe something like 42nd Street might be<BR>appealing to me? Thanks to everyone<BR>for your suggestions.

xxx Nov 12th, 2001 11:18 AM

I loved Contact! Fun music and dancing!

Marsh Nov 12th, 2001 12:01 PM

It's been around a long time but I bet you wouldn't need way advance, expensive tickets for "Chicago." The show just says "Broadway" to me with great Bob Fosse dance numbers and it's funny too. Hope I don't get kicked by the Broadway snobs!

patty Nov 12th, 2001 07:29 PM

No, I agree with you Marsh. I just recently saw Chicago with Nana Visitor starring in it and it was really quite fabulous. I saw it because I realized I have never seen a Bob Fosse musical live, in the theater, and I just had to. Seeing it illuminated the movie "All That Jazz" a lot.

Gail Nov 13th, 2001 03:26 AM

I saw Mama Mia two weeks ago. It was great. Definitely fits your "enjoyable and funny" requirements, but you will have to purchase tickets far in advance.

sue Nov 13th, 2001 04:09 AM

Chicago is great! Les Mis and Phathom of the Opera are wonderful -american operas. Beauty and Beast and Lion King has beautiful sets and costumes - good for kids and light entertainment. Kiss me Kate looks fun, story of Taming of the Shrew. <BR>When I see a Broadway show I go for spectacle. I love beautiful costumes and sets, the quality of the performers and the "only in New York" atmosphere. Save your money and don't skimp on tickets - it will be the best money spent. For the most part any show that makes it to Broadway is a good choice.<BR>

kitty Nov 13th, 2001 05:00 AM

Hey, is Cats still playing?

carole Nov 13th, 2001 05:48 AM

Cats in no longer playing on Broadway.

Kim Nov 13th, 2001 07:40 PM

I think Sue that Les Mis and Phantom are, technically, British in origin, but no doubt they were big hits in New York.

thereuare Nov 14th, 2001 05:16 AM

Not a Broadway play, but i highly recommend Blue Man Group which is off broadway at the Astor theater... DEFINATELY fits the bill for enjoyable and funny! Tix are ~$50 and can be bought at Ticketmaster (or calling the box office in NYC to save the service charge).

cdf Nov 14th, 2001 05:21 AM

I can recommend the shows we have seen recently-The Producers -if you get the tickets right away for whenever you are coming to NY,Contact-you will want to dance afterwards,Mama Mia-you will want to sing afterwards, Chicago-always good,Noises Off- another Tony possiblity,and if you like heavier drama, August Strindburgs Dance of Death with Helen Mirren and Ian -- McClellan&gt;one of the Best things about coming to NY-seeing great theatre~~C