Any suggestions about a good place to stay between RMNP and Denver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all those who replied to my first message, it was great to see so many kind people who were willing to help out a stranger with almost no clue how to put together a great trip to a new place. First of all my girlfriend and I will have three real days (I realize that's not much) to see what we can, flying into Denver at about noon and leaving early on the fourth day. From what I read it sounds like our best bet is to rent a car and head for RMNP, so I'm looking for an affordable place to stay close by but not to far away from the city; we'd like to maybe head back to Denver the night before we leave, catch a Rockies game (they're playing that night) and stay in the city to be ready for the flight back. I guess that would probably all we could do in such a short time unless anyone else has any other suggestions that we'd have time for. After hearing everyone talking about all the fantastic places to go and the see I wish we could find someway to stay longer, but it sounds like we'll just have to come back another time to enjoy more. I'll be posting more as I can put together a clearer itinerary (sp?), so any additional help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to be more specific. Thanks again.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

I forgot something. Obviously camping would be the most sensible way to go in this situation but its not really an option that we want to explore. We're not city folks (I grew up in a farm town) but its just not something we want to do on this trip. Maybe next time when we're feeling more adventerous.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:24 AM

rather than staying in denver, brighton (sp?) is closer to the airport out on the plains. it's not that far a drive from the city prices may be cheaper there if you have a car... and rmnp is great, even for a short stay. estes park is a cute town and there is an array of price ranges to stay there. not sure when you are going, trailridge road may not be open, but you will likely be able to get to the bear lake area. not being up on sports, not sure about opening day for baseball, the road thru can open as early as mid may. IF there is still snow in the park, rent snow shoes in town and go for a hike! i did this on a short weekend business trip and it was great. have fun.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 05:57 AM

If you are going to keep your car you might as well stay in Denver. The Comfort Inn is right downtown and is reasonable. Or there is a LaQuinta Inn not too far from the ball field.
Another possibility would be to just get a room at the airport and turn your car in after the game (if they are open that late) and then take a shuttle to the airport in the morning.
You could bid on Priceline for your hotel (either downtown or at the airport) and for your car. We rent in Denver often and always save at least half on the car. Have a good steak at the Chop House near Coors Field.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:58 AM

With your time being limited, I would rent a car at DIA and head directly for Estes Park on your first day. On day two you can explore the park and drive across Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake. Spend the night in Grand Lake and then head back to Denver on day three. Have a great dinner downtown and hit the Rockies game.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I shoulad have been more specific. I'll be traveling from July 24-28. The idea is to get to Estes Park, RMNP, and whatever else might be accessible before heading back to Denver on the third day to see the Rockies game. I think that it might be easier to rent a car from the airport and drive toward the park to stay closer to there and spend the last night in the city. Does this make sense or is there a better way? Is there a decent place to stay outside of the Park? Any other options of places to go or will the park take up most of the time we have?
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:50 AM
MaureenB

The specifics of your trip are helpful. I, too, think your best bet is to get a car at DIA and head to Estes, maybe visit Boulder on your way. Drive from Estes over Trail Ridge Road into Grand Lake. Then head home from Grand County, through Winter Park and over Berthoud Pass, down I-70. That will give you a good taste of the Rockies with lots of gorgeous panoramas. (IMHO, Trail Ridge Road and Grand Lake are 'must see' places.)
Are you just concerned with prices, and therefor wondering about staying outside RMNP? There's not much close by, except a little town called Lyons which is sort of half-way between Boulder and Estes. Many moons ago, we liked the Black Bear Inn's restaurant, in Lyons, but I'm not sure if they have lodging.
Come to think of it, for really inexpensive dorm-type lodging or moderately priced cabins, there are YMCA of the Rockies facilities in both Estes and Winter Park (WP's one's called Snow Mountain Ranch). You could spend your nights at those two places and see all the sights above. Probably the best lodging prices you'll see in the mountains. But they do fill up really quickly. Do a search and see what you think.
We have tons of first-hand experience with Snow Mountain and can vouch for it. Beautiful setting north of the Winter Park ski area. Our kids have done overnights at Estes' Y and it's fine, too. Both are rustic, nicely kept, friendly, and cheap.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:25 AM

I think the Y cabins are rented 'way in advance. Very popular.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM

The YMCA of the Rockies is great if you can get reservations.

Otherwise, I think I'd stay in Estes Park before driving back the next morning. You should have plenty of time to get back for a Rockies game.

If not, there are plenty of hotel options along the interstate. But, if I were spending the night in the Rockies, I'd rather be in Estes Park.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:20 AM

I'd prefer to stay in Estes Park too. Pine Tree Cabins (800) 484-9523 (code 6346) has some nice and reasonable cabins and is easier to get into than the Y, or check out www.vrbo.com.

Sue