Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any Street Fairs in Chicago this weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a long trip, Amsterdam to Chicago, but we're looking forward to a 4 day weekend first visit to Chicago. I just noticed on the events calendar (don't know why we didn't notice it sooner) that the Chicago Air and Water show will take place this weekend. I imagine there will be huge crowds at Navy Pier. Anyplace we should avoid if we don't want to get caught up in the masses?

Are there any special free concerts or street fairs in Chicago this weekend? We've already booked the Architectural River Cruise, bus tour and Mystic Dinner cruise with fireworks (yes, touristy, but that's what we'll be!).

Won't even mention that we're flying Northwest and face the looming possibility of a strike......we're still looking forward to it!

Thanks for any tips for the coming visit.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:39 AM
JJ5

For 4 days you sure have packed the boat excursions in there. Depending on where you are staying, just gauge your walk, cab, bus or whatever around the time of the A.& W. show crowd, and don't forget that you can walk THROUGH most of the large stores and out into side streets. I would definitely try to get in the Art Institute sometime despite the entrance fee. It's probably got the best Impressionist collection in the World among other very beautiful things.

www.metromix.com has special events that are listed- street fairs- other neighborhood happenings. But do realize the distances. Chicago is huge in area. Not like NYC or SF at all. Not like any European city either, that I can think of off hand.

If you state where you are lodging you will probably get more specific help.

A great map of the Loop downtown, River, lakefront, Water Tower areas will help you immensely. Stay away from Navy Pier altogether, and go visit Millenium / Grant Park etc. just to stroll. And don't miss the Buckingham Fountain display at night. It goes into color theatrics etc. and it's fun with the crowds. It also can be very cooling if the weather gets too hot.

I think you'll have a great time and it should be cooler than lately with tops in the high 70's or low 80's. It has been around 94 or so for most of this summer, so you will come at a time easy for clothes choices etc.

When you go on boats, regardless of it being 80 or summer, do know that the wind can get fierce. It can turn HAWK very, very quickly.

You are coming to see a great and unique city. Enjoy!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Hello Bjin,
Go to one of the tourist information centers and get the downtown transit map.(You may have to ask at the counter) It's a really good, clear map of downtown and it's easy to read. There's an info center in the Cultural Center on Michigan Av in the Loop and one across from Watertower Place on North Michigan Av.

There are free concerts in Millenium Park on Friday night at 6:30 and Saturday night at 7:30. The Saturday night one features all sorts of Chicago musicians as well as the orchestra. It's a special 50th anniversary concert for station wttw11.

I posted here about a month ago asking questions about the air and water show. If I was in Chicago on Friday I would eat lunch or have a drink at the top of the Hancock Blding to see the airshow planes practice.

Have a great time. It's a wonderful city.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions JJ and Eileen. We're staying at the Marriott Downtown so should be in the thick of things. Will try to report when we return.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:14 AM
JJ5

Do give a report as I love to see the city downtown from someone with new eyes. Especially tell us what you think of the Cloud Gate (called "the Bean" in our newspapers) which is in Millenium Park.

You will have a memorial time. The Cultural Center is an easy access for you and getting the map and starting at that info center is a great idea.

Also tell us how the skyscrapers made you feel and if you liked that feel. It's very different than Amsterdam, which I myself have visited. I liked the canals so much. If you walk by the River you will see some, not much, but some similarities in this season.

Good flights and safe traveling!