COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any special places to eat (late) in/near San Simeon/Cambria, CA?

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 08:01 AM
rex
Original Poster

We have decided to take the evening tour at Hearst Castle, runs from 6:30 pm to 8:40. I am pretty sure we will have eaten a late lunch - - Santa Barbara or Morro Bay or somewhere in between (leaving from Los Angeles earlier that morning, after two nights there). We'll be there on Saturday night, staying at the San Simeon Lodge. There are reasonably positive comments about the (San Simeon Beach?) Surf Bar & Grill (adjacent) on tripadvisor.com user reviews - - but is there anything special (and open late-ish) in the "town" or in nearby Cambria? There is a pretty good list at http://courtesyinns.com/activities/dining.htm and also info at seecambria.com (conflicting info about closing times 9:30? 10 pm? for a couple of the places)

Any other input?

Thanks in advance...

Rex
(mostly from the Europe forum)
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM

I think most of the places stay open a little later on Saturday night so you should be able to find something. My favorite Cambria restaurant is Robin's. They have a rather ecclectic menu. A few other choices would be Wild Ginger, Sow's Ear or Bistro Soleil.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 06:41 PM
rex
Original Poster

Thanks. More?
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I'm usually checking out the Europe forum too, so your name rang a bell! I have frequented that site for many years..I even have that famed Fodors Pin!! I read with interest your posting for good eats in Carmel, since we will be doing , what seems, to be almost a reverse trip of yours! My husband and I will be at the San Simeon Lodge on a Saturday night in May..maybe the same one!! I did read about the San Simeon Bar and grill..Kareoke on Sat night..hey hey!!
I have looked at the Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill in Cambria..their menu is online and sounds good. I an going to check in at Chowhound. If I come across anything that sounds good, I'll pass it your way! After doing the PM Hearst tour, you probably don't want to drive out of SS..so the choices may be few. Happy travels!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Message: Hi Rex,
I'm usually checking out the Europe forum too, so your name rang a bell! I read with interest your posting for good eats in Carmel, since we will be doing , what seems, to be almost a reverse trip of yours! My husband and I will be at the San Simeon Lodge on a Saturday night in May..maybe the same one!! I did read about the San Simeon Bar and grill..Kareoke on Sat night..hey hey!!
I have looked at the Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill in Cambria..their menu is online and sounds good. I an going to check in at Chowhound. If I come across anything that sounds good, I'll pass it your way! Happy travels!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Rex, pardon this bizarre posting..I tried to post multiple times..appearing to lose my thread..then rewritting and voila..I come up with this!!! The Fodors Ghost lives..
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 02:55 PM
rex
Original Poster

Thanks, Allison.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Rex - I haven't been there personally (I've only eaten at Linn's and Robin's), but my old boss (who's a chef), used to eat at Black Cat Bistro when in Cambria. He also enjoyed Robin's and Sow's Ear, but always ate at BCB if they were open.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:01 AM
rex
Original Poster

Thanks, jv...
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM

The Moonstone Bar & Grill is very good. We have always sat outside to enjoy the beautiful views of the ocean from the place.

The Sow's Ear Cafe is my favorite. I don't know how late they are open. The salmon in parchment paper and the chicken fried steak are the house specialities and sooooo good. Also, they make a mean fried brie app. Desserts are always very good, too.

The Sea Chest is good if you like very fresh seafood, but not much atmosphere. They don't take reservations or credit cards.

I hope to try the Black Cat soon, but won't leave town without a dinner at the Sow's Ear Cafe. It's a very romantic atmosphere. I have heard people calling to reserve that will be proposing that night!! ***kim***
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:50 AM
ed

Rex--

There is restaurant next to the San Simeon Lodge. It is not spectacular but fine after a day of driving and touring the Castle..:-B
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:44 PM
rex
Original Poster

Thank you both. I believe the restaurant right next to the San Simeon Lodge is the one I mentioned in my original post.