Washington DC: Downtown vs.Georgetown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am visiting Washington DC for 4 nights in early June, debating whether to stay in
Georgetown or downtown. I am driving into Wash DC, stopping en route to NC. I have visited DC before, always staying downtown, but last visited in 1991. I plan to visit major sights I never saw before like the Holocaust Museum, Library of Congress, and revisit a couple of sights at the Smithsonian and National Gallery. I don't shop, or stay out late past 10, but I do enjoy walking and street life.

I s there any street life downtown? I remember that downtown was really convenient to the Mall and sights, but I don't remember any street life or night activity. I also seem to remember that Georgetown is not convenient to the Metro or the big sights.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Georgetown does not have a metro stop. foggy bottom stop is the closest, maybe a 15 minutes or so walk depending upon where u stay in GeorgEtown. U r also correctnin that its not conevenient to major sites in DC. Not sure where u mean by "downtown". I would look into staying in the Penn Quarter area-nice area, lots of restaurants and activity at night and easy access to metro stops.

U might want to look into visitng the Newseum-fabulous museum.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 05:54 PM

We like staying in Alexandria . . there is a Embassy Suites across the street from the King Street Metro stop and it's a short walk to Old Town Alexandria that is full of great pubs and restruants

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...ginia/index.do

If you are interested in Air and Space, the new Advar-Hazy Museum out by Dulles is a great place to spend a day
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 09:17 AM

I'd recommend Penn Qtr (walking distance to many of the major "attractions") or Dupont Circle. Both are easy access via foot or metro, and both have lots of hotels, restaurants, shops, people-watching. (Alexandria is great, but I prefer to stay "in town" when I travel to a city).
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DC has changed a lot since 1991 -- it's a very walkable city with a lot more vibrant activity day and night.

The disadvantage to Georgetown, as noted, is no immediate access to Metro. The Metro area transit authority does run a simplified system of bus routes called the Circulator which goes in and out of Georgetown to the major tourist areas. A more central location than G'town would probably suit you better and I agree with the neighborhood suggestions of Penn Quarter and Dupont Circle.

Do keep the Circulator in mind though when you visit. It can augment your travel and costs a buck or less depending on your Metro fare card and age. Typically the weather will still be quite pleasant in early June when you visit so the distance to walk between sites might well be less than the time to travel via bus or metro.