Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any Rec's for Waikiki eats w/ a view? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-recs-for-waikiki-eats-w-a-view-705345/)

tiname May 15th, 2007 12:40 PM

Any Rec's for Waikiki eats w/ a view?

We're heading back to Oahu in June/July and I want to have a bite to eat and a cocktail at a place with a lovely view and I'd love to hear your recommendations. My husband generally isn't in to super fancy, but I can talk him into it if it's really worth it. A beautiful view, w/good drinks and food is what we're looking for!!!!!

Waldo May 15th, 2007 01:22 PM

It isn't fancy, but the food is pretty good if you like buffets. I'm talking about the Shorebird Restaurant in the Outrigger Reef hotel. The view is fabulous, you're right on the sandy beach. Get there for sunset, have a cocktail at the good bar, and enjoy!

sunbum1944 May 16th, 2007 07:57 AM

I like the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant at the New Otani Hotel- have not been there in a long time so no opinion on the food- just know its a beautiful location

aloha May 16th, 2007 01:59 PM

Tiki's on the 2nd floor of the Resortquest Waikiki Beach Hotel has a nice view, across the street from the beach.

The Hula Grill in the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach is directly overlooking the beach. I haven't been there yet, but the previous restaurant that was in that location was a favorite. It is above Duke's.

My very favorite place in Waikiki is the Banyan veranda at the Moana Hotel. It is right on the beach and is just beautiful, but is fairly casual as far as dress. We like to get a table close to the water at sunset and order drinks and appetizers. You can see it here
www.moana-surfrider.com/de_court.htm#Images
And I guess I have to correct myself, the terrace area is actually called the Banyan Court. On that page there is also a link to a live cam--it says "Hawaii Live". You can see the beach and people walking and swimming.

I haven't been to Hau Tree Lanai but I do know it is highly recommended by many. I also like the Shorebird. My favorite meal there is breakfast/brunch.

beachgirl86 May 16th, 2007 02:05 PM

Hula Grill in the Outrigger Waikiki is my favorite! The food is excellent, and the hotel directly overlooks Waikiki Beach.

suze May 16th, 2007 02:16 PM

Tiki Bar & Grill for casual

Banyon Veranda at the Moana for more elegant

aloha May 16th, 2007 03:47 PM

I just went back to the page I referenced above, and looked at the "April update for Banyan Veranda"....it is being "revitalized into a world class restaurant" and will be closed thru July. I couldn't find any info about the Banyan Court being closed, and the other restaurant at the Moana will stay open, it says.

tmt May 16th, 2007 04:00 PM

Hula Grill was good, but unless you sit along the rail, there is no view (unless you stand that is).

Hau Tree Lani is a small restaurant on the beach with a great view with the huge tree in the middle. The view would be good no matter where you sit. Last year Entertainment book had a 2 for 1. The mixed seafood appetizer was huge and very good.

Make a reservation and ask for a table at the railing....and remember the sun sets really fast, so get there early; once the sun set is over, its over.

aussie_annie May 16th, 2007 09:44 PM

Tiki's Bar and Grill at the Resortquest Waikiki.

Live music each night, torchlight for ambience, killer coctails and all with a view of the sunset and parade of ships.

Aloha......and have a Mai Tai for me.

MileKing May 17th, 2007 09:58 AM

You might want to try John Dominis. Wonderful sunset views of the beach with Diamond Head in the background. Reserve a window table.

uconn1990 May 18th, 2007 05:57 AM

I 2nd (actually 3rd) the recommendation for the Hau Tree Lanai.

iceeu2 May 18th, 2007 06:42 AM

I will also chime in for a vote for Hau Tree Lanai.

MBnancy May 18th, 2007 11:02 AM

In addition to Hau Tree Lani (which we took a taxi to get there) we enjoy walking to, "House without a Key" at the Halekulani Hotel. Arrive for 5 PM cocktails and the nightly entertainment. We then walk along the beach to other hotels like a pub crawl. We stop at the Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian, or the Verandah at the Moana Hotel, all with ocean views.

Sometimes we go later to HWAK for the sunset view, and order off their dinner menu. The hot pupu combination is really nice and includes coconut shrimp, beef skewers and seafood spring roll with dipping sauce.

http://www.halekulani.com/dining/house_without_a_key/

suze May 18th, 2007 11:58 AM

On an every-day basis, we had better luck going to cocktails somewhere on the beach with a view for sunset, then heading back 'inland' to any of many great restaurants for dinner.

tiname May 18th, 2007 12:52 PM

Ooohhh lots of great suggestions! A few I've tried but most are new ones. The Hau Tree Lanai sounds like a must do. I've heard great things about the veranda at the Moana surfrider from a friend. You're all getting me pretty excited for my upcoming trip.

Mahalo (and keep 'em coming!)

Mahalo

carolyn May 19th, 2007 01:41 PM

Pretty casual but with a great view seated at the railing is Lulu's on the second floor of the building at the Diamond Head end of Kalakaua Avenue.

Breakfast is nice there, too.