Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any recommendations on casual restaurants in Fort Lauderdale with good food? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-recommendations-on-casual-restaurants-in-fort-lauderdale-with-good-food-410160/)

Zoom Mar 12th, 2004 12:44 PM

Any recommendations on casual restaurants in Fort Lauderdale with good food?

Hi Fodorites!

I'll be vacationing in Fort Lauderdale for a week in late March and am wondering if anyone can provide some recommendations on casual restaurants (primarily for dinner, but will probably need one decent breakfast/diner type spot too!) with food that you consider to be good!

Am really looking for some non-chain recommendations.

p.s. We will have a car and also be on the water taxi circuit.

Thanks!

Patrick Mar 12th, 2004 12:57 PM

Bimini Boatyard on 17th is a large fun place, lots of outdoor seating by the boats on the water. Lively and very casual.

Shooters on the intracoastal is a similar place atmosphere wise, but less good in the food department.

Several places along the riverwalk near downtown -- although most are chains, some are very good.

Heartburn3 Mar 12th, 2004 01:06 PM

I love Kelly's Landing. It's a small place in the Southport Shopping Center at S.E. 17th Street and Cordova Road. They serve Boston-style seafood (lobster, clams, oysters, burgers, etc.) A full meal with tax will run you at least $17. Their fried full belly clams are absolutely delicious. It's a little difficult to see because it faces Cordova Road on the west side of the shopping center. Many people also like Bimini Boatyard, 15th Street Fisheries (on Water Taxi Route), Shirtail Charlies is good and also on the WT Route. There are also loads of places to eat on Las Olas Blvd. Believe me, you won't starve...LOL

While you are here in Lauderdale, check with the locals at the hotel for good breakfast places. They might be able to point you towards a good place that won't rip you off for bacon, eggs, toast & coffee.

Most restaurants are casual, unless they are very upscale. This is a tourist area so your casual dress shouldn't be a problem. If in doubt about the dress code, ask at the hotel or call the restaurant.

linman Mar 12th, 2004 03:35 PM

We liked a little Mexican place called Carlos and Pepe's which is in a strip mall on 17th St., actually diagonally across from Bimini Boat Yard. Also, liked Aruba Beach Cafe in Lauderdale by the Sea, which is right on the beach and has live music.Las Olas Blvd. has many restaurants,some casual. Mangoes was good, as was Cheesecake Factory. Cheeburger Cheeburger is there too. The Floridian on Las Olas is supposed to be good for breakfasts.

birdergirl Mar 12th, 2004 03:45 PM

Ahh, breakfast at the Floridian. It was one of my favorites after sunrise on the beach back in my single days. (I can't take crowds on my beach. I leave when I see ten people.)

There's a really fun area downtown called the Riverwalk, with restaurants and nightclubs galore. It's on the Water Taxi circuit. You can find upscale but casual, down-and-dirty, and everything in between. If you're not sure where to start, I'd recommend that. You can wander around until you see something you like. (If you have a "splurge" night, try the River House.) It's in the same neighborhood as the Performing Arts Center and the Discovery Center. This is a kid's science museum that has an Imax 3-D theater which shows late at night on weekends. I've lived here over 20 years now, and this is the area I most recommend for folks who want to get quick slice of the Fort Lauderdale pie. It's also home to the Historical Society. The River House is actually one of the oldest buildings in the city, at over 100.

One caveat: as in any downtown area, there are panhandlers. It's pretty well-lit, and you should not feel uncomfortable at all. I've never known anyone who's had a problem down there, but I can't say the same for Miami Beach. Also, wear very comfortable shoes, as you can end up covering some ground. Have a great trip!

cmcfong Mar 13th, 2004 03:53 AM

Mangoes on Las Olas Blvd.

jd Mar 13th, 2004 04:52 AM

Casual restaurants:
Bravos-17th St.-great Italian
Primivera-Oakland Park Blvd.-great Italian.
Aruba Beach Cafe-on the beach in LBTS
Shooters-sit outside by the canal
Roadhouse Cafe-can sit outside by canal.
Shirttail Charlies-on the canal-free 30 min. boat tour after dinner.
Cafe Seville-Oakland Park Blvd-Spanish.
Sage Cafe-French

Zoom Mar 14th, 2004 02:30 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded.

These all look like great options! Florida here we come....

bookhall Mar 14th, 2004 02:35 PM

Check chowhound.com for good food recommendations, as well....

Janny Mar 14th, 2004 02:57 PM

I enjoy Ft. Lauderdale, we were there last year in November.We enjoyed Cheesecake Factory and Hops. Ate at Hops a few times. Loved the food and cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory.

Have fun!!! (I'm jealous)

LoriNY Mar 15th, 2004 05:01 AM

Wow, Shirtail Charlie's is still there. It's been many years, but I loved that place!