COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

any opinions on Holiday Inn Express/Fisherman's Wharf

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

We are planning to visit San Francisco and have made reservations at the Holiday Inn Express at Fisherman's Wharf. Would appreciate any opinions of this hotel or any suggestions where to stay. Our group consists of 2 families, 4 adults and 4 kids.
We are arriving on July 30th - any advice as to what to see and when to see would be appreciated.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:29 PM

It's a great hotel in an excellent location.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn about five years ago and it was very nice and the location was great, within walking distance of everything at the wharf. We didn't have children with us, and I don't remember about their pool....
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:36 PM

The Radisson is a decent choice for families and is the only hotel that is actually ON Fisherman's Wharf. All the rest are "fisherman's wharf area". They sometimes have some good specials offered on expedia or boulevards.com

The Columbus Motor Inn has some family size units and also includes free parking which is a good $avings. A short walk to the wharf.
www.columbusmotorinn.com
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:01 PM

Stayed at the HIE Fisherman's Wharf a while back. Short jaunt to the Wharf, perfectly adequate HIE, nothing spectacular, what the hey. The kids will like the Wharf, especially Pier 39. I was less thrilled, but had a good seafood dinner at Scoma's (not my favorite seafood place in the world, but damn good).

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:02 PM

Clark is exactly right about the Radisson being the only hotel wharf-adjacent. Don't know about the Columbus, but Clark's suggestions are usually spot-on, so it's another possibility.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:28 PM
cd

We stayed at the Radisson a few months ago and enjoyed our stay there. We had a view of Alcatraz from our window and if we left the window open a crack we could hear the harbour seals bark on Pier 39. We loved it! If you are driving, the 2003 Chamber of Commerce booklet advertises free parking for this facility. We brought this to their attention and thus got free parking.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:49 PM

We stayed there following a trip to Napa/Sonoma in April. Great location.They had a "Continental breakfast"...donuts, cereal, yogurt. I thought the room was clean and more spacious than some. You should be fine here- it was one of the better HIExpress IMO.