Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any one want some insider information on inexpensive restaurants in NYC?

Aug 31st, 1998, 07:03 AM
Danielle

I live in New York and I have found these forums so helpful. If anyone would like to know how to eat well and cheap in NYC just let me know what kind of food you're looking for and I'll do my best to give you some recommendations. Since I live on the upper eastside, this is the area I know the best. It's a great area filled with tons of restaurants! and very few tourists.

Aug 31st, 1998, 02:54 PM
Cheryl Z.

Danielle, thank you for your generous and timely offer! We'll be in NY for just a few days starting Oct. 8, staying at Loews New York Hotel on E 5l and Lexington. We were going to a wedding which is now cancelled but we're still gonna go to just sightsee and visit husband's relatives. We've been to NY lots but not very recently, so any suggestions you might have would be appreciated. We like Italian the best (we love Little Italy), and like good restuarants with ambiance. Anything close to our hotel? We'll have a car too, and I'm sure the relatives will have some suggestions, but we're always interested in something new. Thanks again.

Aug 31st, 1998, 07:45 PM
Owen O'Neill

Yes, please!! Beginning this October I'll be in NYC for two weeks each month, staying Mon - Wed or Thurs nights. Although I'll have the occasional business dinner, typically I'll be dining alone and will seek reasonably priced places, ideally some with a few healthy items on the menu and a casual/laid-back atmosphere. Haven't settled on a regular hotel yet but hoping to find something clean and simple for $120 a night or less (otherwise the boss will tell me to stay in NJ! - HORRORS!). I presume I'll be staying somewhere in the east or west midtown vicinity and will have a monthly subway pass so any location from Village up to the 80's will be fine. Any suggestions appreciated.....

Sep 1st, 1998, 05:41 AM
Meg

Would love some info! I am taking my 19 year old niece to New York shortly before Christmas for her senior graduation gift. She's not into "fancy" places, but would love to eat at some really neat trendy places. I know she wants to get a "real New York hot dog" somewhere and some great bagels. Thanks for the help.

Sep 3rd, 1998, 12:45 PM
Danielle

I just read all of your requests. Let me think about them and I will post a response in the next few days.

Sep 5th, 1998, 04:18 AM
john

Try newyork.sidewalk.com

Sep 6th, 1998, 08:00 AM
jill

Hey girl any good bars with food for a late lunch on the upper west side? Lincoln center,columbus ave area?thanks for your time.jill

Sep 9th, 1998, 08:48 AM
Danielle

Where do I start! Cheryl, I don't know many restaurants right next to your hotel but you can try NY Merchants on 61/1st Ave for dinner. It's a funky space and the food is reasonable and good. For Italian, the upper eastside has loads of great places. If you like to check out a few menus you can go to second avenue between 74th and 75th street and choose from four or five italian/pasta restaurants in a row. They range from the very inexpensive (but very good) to the moderately expensive and the atmosphere in each restaurant varies. I've eaten at each one and they are all good. If you want to experience very expensive italian with top service try Il Monello. For Family Style Italian Tony DiNapoli's is always packed (84th/2nd ave). If you feel like exploring another great area for very good restaurants with tons of atmosphere,Park Avenue btwn 16th- 21st streets. A few great places that are beautiful are Park Avalon, Blue Water Grill and Patria's.
Owen, eating alone on the upper eastside is easy. If you stroll down second avenue from 72nd street to 86th street you will average 3-4 restaurants/cafes per block. There are many laid back places and because of all the competition there are many inexpensive good restaurants. Some of my favorites include Cafe Bianco (77th/second ave - they serve everything from salads and sandwiches to full dinners and have great coffees and desserts, and Bella Donna - a great little pasta place on 77th st btwn 1st and 2nd ave.
Meg - You will have a blast with a 19yr old. I recently took my seventeen yr old cousin out and this is what we did:
Dinner at a place called Penang (thai food 83rd/2nd) and then went to DTUT(85th/2nd) for dessert. She loved DTUT's because it's based on the coffee shop in the show friends. It's set up with a bunch of old couches from thrift shops and it's a very "IN" place to just hang out. The desserts are fun especially the smores dessert. You get a platter with graham crackers, hershey bars and marshmellows and melt them all together over a flame - heaven! Another great dessert place with one of NY's most famous desserts is Serendipity, located in a townhouse (60th btwn 1st and 2nd aves). The famous dessert is the Frozen Hot Chocolate - it's amazing. The For a NY hot dog try Gray's Papaya (72nd/Bway or 86th/3rd) and for bagels try H&H Bagel at 81st/2nd). I also suggest taking a walk through Soho and Greenwich village. There's great shopping and cafes.
Jill, try the Saloon right across from Lincoln Center. Everything is open for late lunch in the Lincoln center area. I'll check with some of my friends who live on the westside for more suggestions so I'll get back to you.

That's all I have time for now. Hope this helps some.

Sep 9th, 1998, 10:30 AM
Cheryl Z.

Danielle - thank you so much. My mouth is watering already

Oct 2nd, 1998, 03:36 PM
chris

Can I add a suggestion for Meg? If you and your neice are visiting NYC at Christmas time, you'll probably want to check out the holiday decorations and tree at Rockefeller Center. (Or the whole mid-town/5th avenue area) If that's the case, your neice may like the Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood both on 57th street. They're very touristy,I admit, but they have reliable food and a fun atmosphere. I live downtown, so if you'd like advice for restaurants in the Village/Soho areas, I'd be happy to help you out.

Oct 3rd, 1998, 03:49 PM
Dot

Restaurants in the SoHo = Village area? Lets here about them.

Oct 5th, 1998, 04:45 PM
Ellen

I'd almost hate to give this one away. Great for pre-theater brunch Sat. or Sunday:
Pietrasanta on 9th ave and 47th.
Awesome bread, choice of entrees, a drink. All for $8.95! Italian flair. Had a great smoked salmon and spinach frittata yesterday and my mom had a lobster omelet with lobster sauce. Been there many times and its great. Don't arrive much later than noon, or you'll wait quite a while!

Sep 17th, 1999, 10:39 AM
Mary

I'll be in NYC next month for a weekend. Anyone have other ideas?

Thanks.

Sep 17th, 1999, 01:18 PM
Neal Sanders

Danielle has offered -- and followed through on -- a great service to those visiting New York. I'm a former resident who still visits with some frequency. My own advice to those going to the city is simple: don't dine in midtown if you can help it. Restaurants there cater to tourists and those on business and, while there are great restaurants in midtown, they're principally for those on an expense account. Rather, head south. Get on the #1 train, get off at Sheridan Square in Greenwich Village, consult the map in the station, orient yourself, and make a beeline for Bleecker Street. Bleecker makes an "L" shape through the Village, and it must be lined with a hundred restaurants. Most are reasonably priced and virtually all post their menu (few take reservations). These restaurants survive (like the ones Danielle describes on the upper east side) on residents, not tourists. If the food is sub-par, there's no repeat business. To determine if the restaurant has good food, just look at how many tables are filled.

On a visit to New York last weekend, I went to an old favorite, Trattoria Pesche Pasta at 262 Bleecker. Dinner for two with wine and appetizers, including tip, was $60, and it was delicious. The wait for a table was 10 minutes. The remarkable thing is that I could have had an equally good meal at five other restaurants within a stone's throw of the one I chose.

Sep 17th, 1999, 01:31 PM
lisa

Hey Danielle -- Thanks for this service -- a friend of mine just asked me for a recommendation and I'm trying to remember the name of this place. It's a Mexican restaurant somewhere on the east side in the 50s I think and it was a woman's name -- I'm totally blanking -- it was like Mama Rositas or something (but that's not it) -- and I just remember they had great homemade guacamole and margaritas. Help?

Sep 17th, 1999, 02:47 PM
Madeline

ROSA MEXICANA is the name of the restaurant you were thinking of. The food is excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is located on First Ave and 58th St.

Sep 18th, 1999, 08:26 AM
Diane

Joe's (?) Caribbean Bar & Grill -- somewhere around East 83 and 2nd???? I took my 18 yr old daughter on her first trip to NYC. She's been back with friends a couple times since (now 22). The french fried sweet potatoes and jerk chicken were fabulous. It was a very fun spot on a Friday PM.

Sep 21st, 1999, 10:04 AM
lisa

Madeline: Yes, Rosa Mexicana was exactly the place I was thinking of -- thank you!

Sep 21st, 1999, 10:47 AM
Mary

Diane - you're talking about Moe's Carribean on Second Avenue and 75th Street. It's a fun, funky atmosphere, with decent food and tons of drink specials. In the neighborhood, it's known more as a watering hole than a fine restaurant, but it's still a fun place to eat.

Sep 21st, 1999, 03:42 PM
Helen

take a look at www.chowhound.com.