Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

any "not to be missed" attractions in st pete beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (28yo)will be in St pete beach for four days next week.. just wondering any special places not to miss?? (restaurants,bars,shopping,sightseeing,beachstuff) thanks for any input!!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:23 PM
dln

My husband and I just got back this afternoon from St. Pete Beach (I think our swimsuits are still wet!) and we spent so much time just swimming and walking the beach. The water temperature is 88 degrees. Being in the water is like having your own private spa, except that it's the Gulf of Mexico!

If you are there on a Sunday, a very nice thing to do is to make reservations for the brunch at Don Cesar. You will most likely be the youngest in the dining room--barring children, of course--but it's a wonderful experience. The hotel is so old and grand and full of history. They simply don't make hotels like this one any more! The dining room has large windows so no matter where you sit you can view the gulf. The buffet room has bay views. The food is delicious--plenty of seafood, as you might expect, and handcarved roasts as well. The desserts are heavenly, and the mimosas are served from 1:00 onwards. It's somewhat dressy, but that's what makes it feel like an "occasion." We dined with our friends and were there three hours, even though it flew by like three minutes. We spent the rest of the afternoon lounging on the beach, unable to do much more than float (full tummies, you know!).

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:36 PM

Definitely check out the Don Cesar! If not for the brunch then even just for drinks at the lobbey bar or outdoor bar one evening. Have a look around, it's fantastic.

Another good, fun, restaurant near the beach is the Hurricain.

For shopping check out John's Pass just after the bridge in Treasure Island.

Salt Rock Grill is a fabulous restaurant a little north of Maderia Beach, not too too far from st. pete.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:03 PM

Of all things the Salvador Dali museum is in St. Pete:

www.salvadordalimuseum.org

I went twice a year apart and was surprised that at least half of the contents had been turned over. It was like seeing another museum.

They also have 6 or 7 of his "life works" on permanent display. Really huge canvases of which he only painted 10 or so.

Well worth visiting if you're into Dali at all.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 04:31 AM
jon

When at the Dali museum, you should also go to the St. Pete Pier. It has unique architecture of being an upside down triangle. There's a little aquarium on the second floor, and a great outdoor restaurant on the 5th floor with wonderful views of the water. Eat outside to keep that vacation feel. Also, you can rent bicyles for 2 and cycle around the area. It's only $8 for 1/2 hour. There's also a dolphin boat trip that goes out of the pier. It really is a wonderful way to spend a day by the water, with the pier activities and the Dali museum. Enjoy!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:00 AM

spent memorial weekend in st pete beach. dinner at snapper's was absolutely wonderful! great food, service, and not too pricey.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:42 AM

I second that on Snappers. My two kids ages 9 and 11 are still raving about it and we went last November. We stayed at the tradewinds resort and had the time of our lives. Actually on that trip the airline overbooked, and we gave up our seats,and they gave us 2000 in free airfare, bumped us up to first class, we were sitting right behind Hulk Hogan-We are leaving for Alaska on Saturday using that free airfare.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 11:00 AM
OliveOyl

For a great "don't miss" beach, drive down to Fort DeSoto, 10-15 minutes from St Pete. $.35 admission to the state park, but then free parking. Once in the park, the road makes a T, turn right and drive out as far as you can go and park. This is a fabulously beautiful stretch of beach...nothing but you, the beach and the others that know about it. You may have to wade through a tidal pool on the way out, but is is usually only mid-calf deep at highest tide. There are changing facilities and restrooms, but no food, so get a picnic together and prepare for a romantic getaway. You can rent kayaks here too if you are interested.

Only fly in the ointment is that we currently have a bit of a red tide problem...I know as far down as St Pete so probably at Ft DeSoto as well. It's not too bad, but you might notice some minor throat irritation and scattered dead fish. Unless you have pre-existing respiratory problems, it won't cause you any harm, so come and enjoy. Hopefully it will be gone by then anyway.

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 11:22 AM
jmv

If you can tear yourself away from the beach and if you are a Salvador Dali fan, St. Petersburg itself has a fabulous Dali museum with his largest paintings including the Toreador and the Christopher Columbus discovering the new world. The docent tour takes less than an hour and it is a very worthwhile expenditure of time.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 11:49 AM
ffsmiles

some great ideas. second salt rock grill as best restaurant in a sea of not so hots. a drink at don cesar at sunset, nice. or any bar along gulf blvd. and on tues and thurs crab legs at r-bar, 107th ave. near the beach. or simply listen to the carillon, a nice addition in a commercial strip. dancing at the best, captain k's, at the bridge north end of st. pete beach. nice but hot scene. new thai and vietnamese places opened, and knowledgeable reports to date are excellent. have a fun time. nicest beaches in the us.