Any Macy's Thanksgiving Parade 2002 tips?

Nov 26th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Tania

Any Macy's Thanksgiving Parade 2002 tips?

Looking for tips about where to watch the parade, time to get a good spot, hotels to stay - 2 Adults and 2 Kids (4 & 7). Any info. would be appreciated. Tired of holding the kids on our shoulders!!

Nov 26th, 2001, 12:36 PM
forwhatitsworth

We watch it along Central Park West near 62nd street. Bleachers are set up on the eastern side - this year some people were giving away tickets to the bleachers. If you can score a bleacher ticket, that will save the shoulders.

The Mayfair (or Mayflower) was along our block. I hear rooms are booked a year in advance. I am also not sure I would want to see it from a hotel room, either. It is fun to be in the cold and with the crowds.

Seriously, bring some type of standing device for you and your kids. People brought step ladders, full ladders, chairs, buckets, even one of the folding ladders as scaffolding.

You can grab a front-curb seat if you are there by 6:30.

Nov 27th, 2001, 11:06 AM
XXX

I went this year with 3 kids, 15, 12, 9. Stayed at the Belvedere Hotel on W48th. 1 1/2 block from Broadway. A smaller hotel, yet lovely, nice staff, small but clean room. I would stay there again. I decided after talking to people who were veterans of this to cab up to Columbus Circle. Stood right by the Trump Building. Got there at 6:40am, took camping chairs, warm clothes, hats, gloves etc. I wished I had brought a blanket. Sat right up againt the police barracades. I loved this spot as it was open, and everything seemed to stop at the entrance to Columbus Circle. From what I could tell, the Macys personnel were using this spot to time each float, band, etc on it's way down Broadway. It was as though we got a bit extra time to see everything. There was a Starbucks across the street and went in and got drinks, bathroom, warmed up until the parade started. Everyone around us was considerate of each other's space. Lot's of families. The chairs are a must. The tube camping type are best. It was our first time, I loved it!! I'd do it again.

Search this Thread