Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any long lasting impact of September on tourism in Hawaii? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-long-lasting-impact-of-september-on-tourism-in-hawaii-174389/)

Iza Mar 18th, 2002 02:12 PM

Any long lasting impact of September on tourism in Hawaii?

We are planning our summer vacation in Hawaii for this year and I am just curious whether Hawaii will be less crowded this summer than in past years? Any predictions?<BR>I know that tourism was down severly immediately after the attacks but is it back to normal now? Does anyone know the current figures? Is it likely to be back to normal by the summer?

kal Mar 18th, 2002 03:17 PM

Iza, We went to Kauai this past Dec/Jan and the buzz was Kauai was "about full" but Maui and Oahu were hurting.<BR><BR>We had trouble the past 2 years finding rental cars on Kauai so I guess the buzz had to have some truth to it.<BR><BR>The other news while we were over was JAL Airline expected to resume all Japan to Hawaii routes that were cut back due to 9-11 by June '02.<BR><BR>So.....Mahalo!<BR>Kal <BR>284

Iza Mar 18th, 2002 03:48 PM

Kal, you mentioned renting a car: I have already made our reservations for places to stay on Kauai in August. How much in advance do I have to reserve a car? Right now when I check on Travelocity/Expedia I can get a full size car (Honda Accord or Ford Taurus type) for about $220.00 per week. Is that a good price? Should I reserve now?

kal Mar 18th, 2002 04:19 PM

Iza, You may want to reserve now if you can cancel them later if you find a better rate in the interim. <BR>As for the price, the past 3-4 trips over, we got some sort of fly/drive special thru our TA, yes, I still use a TA on occasion, and it's worked out quite well.<BR>Once we get there we ask if they have any specials on a convertibile. They usually get us in one for anywhere from $5 to $15/day extra. Although this past year we had to wait 3 days before a rag top came available.<BR><BR>$220 for 7 days for the size car you mention sounds pretty good but i'm sure there's better.<BR>Kal

Sarah Mar 19th, 2002 06:20 AM

Hi lza,<BR>We were told by a car rental agency in Hawaii last year that the best rates were available if you joined AAA. Sorry I was not the driver I will find out which agency we used and post it later. Memebership for the year is $60 in AAA. You can also get a $50 discount on a room at the Hyatt Regency on Kauai, with this memebership. Before that Cheap tickets and our Realitor on Kauai gave us the next reasonable prices. The article listed here on fodors is very good. It tells you how to avoid the add ons of uneccsary insurance. My nervous brother in-law took us head first into that pit. The article also tips you on ordering a compact and then getting a free upgrade when compacts are sold out as they normally are.<BR><BR>We really enjoyed having a four wheel drive it took us to hiking paths that we would have spent a few miles walking to (Alakai Swamp)had we been in regular car. Nevertheless you need someone confident enough as a driver to take you on these back roads. <BR><BR>Lza there is an area called the Alakai Swamp that is wonderfully quiet and unique in plant and bird life. You and one other would do well to stroll along this boardwalk. More people will freighten the birds and that is what is unique about this area. Anyway just wanted to mention this, read about it in your Kauai Ultimate Guide.<BR><BR>As for the tourism question. I have been asking at different places and they are all telling me that they have had a busy winter season. I think the people that rarely travel are staying home as they normally would but the people that go away every year are still doing it. I meet who from Californa who make regualar hops to Kauai I think they are still going. Your search for a condo I am guessing showed you this. <BR><BR>Go to surfinglive.com and check out the webcam for Waikiki. The beach is packed but immediately after September 11 it looked like a play ground during school hours. Not so anymore, to bad for those of us going in summer, good for the folks on Hawaii that need what the business does for the economy.<BR><BR>Whatever kind of Tourism is taking place in the state of Hawaii I never have a sense of being in a crowded in environment on Kauai.