Any info on the Holiday Inn South Beach?

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any info on the Holiday Inn South Beach?

Message: Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn South Beach (2201 Collins Av)? I'm beginning to worry about the quality. On one website, it was a "superior, first class hotel in the heart of South Beach" and on another it was a "moderate hotel ten blocks from South Beach." Which is it? I'm not sure I understand exactly where South Beach begins and ends. Also, I picked the hotel because it was on the beach (for my 16 and 18-year-olds), but in one of the photos I saw, the beach looked a little depressing.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 12:56 PM

TTT
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Truthfully, that hotel's located on the northernmost boundary of South Beach, and quite a hike from the "heart" of the fun. You may not be getting a lot of response on this because most people who stay in South Beach, well, stay IN South Beach-- Lincoln Road and parts south (I, for one, always stay at the Cardozo at Ocean and 13th). The Holiday Inn is supposed to be perfectly adequate, but I wouldn't stay there purely due to its location. There just isn't a lot around it that interests me.

For your purposes, the Royal Palm Crowne Plaza would be a far better choice. Right in the middle of everything, new property, nice pool, on-site restaurants, pretty good beach, etc. The Doubletree Surfcomber would be a close second. Note that if it's a weekend of special events like the Winter Music Conference, these places will be huge discothèques, hopping 24 hours a day.

Would you consider staying a bit north of South Beach? Bal Harbour can be more reasonably priced, and the beaches are good there. More Mid-Beach you'll find relative bargains like the Eden Roc.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
GoTravel

It is on 22nd and Collins Avenue oceanfront. There is nothing wrong with the hotel. It is Holiday Inn and not The Tides but the upsides are great. Oceanfront with a pool (a rarity), free beach chairs, and free parking.

Your teens will see topless bathing on the beach.

While technically not *in South Beach, it is so close that it can certainly claim a South Beach address. At most, it is two blocks north.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:42 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn this summer through Priceline at $40 a night. So a that price it was fine. The good points are free parking, free beach chairs etc. The hotel is a few blocks north of the main South Beach area, but certainly within walking distance. The hotel was in reasonably good shape for an older Holiday Inn, nothing special mind you, but ok. We used the laundry room while there and found it to be pretty disgusting as far as cleanliness is concerned, but other than that the pool/hottub was adequate if a bit older and slightly run down.

I would call it a "moderate hotel 5-10 blocks from the main south Beach area"
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:03 PM

Thank you for your responses. We are staying here thanks to Priceline in March. We have 1 teenage daughter. I don't mind the walk to South Beach for the price we were able to get.

I received this hotel for $100 per night on priceline, not the bargain that 4Khansen had, but we are there for high season.

Are there any reasonably priced restaurants nearby?

Thanks again for your replies! Laurie
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:51 AM
GoTravel

There is an Outback Steakhouse in the hotel.

Davids II for great Cuban on the corner of Meridian and Lincoln Road.

Jerry's Diner on 14th and Collins.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:52 AM
GoTravel

Sorry, Jerry's Famous Deli on the corner of 14th and Collins Avenue.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:44 AM
jor

I didn't think there were any Holiday Inns left. Amazing.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:20 AM
GoTravel

jor, there are zillions of Holiday Inns.

Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Sunspree

www.BassHotels.com

They are the largest hotelier in the world. That also includes Intercontinental and Crown Plaza.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM

I stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago with my family. I thought it was a great place to stay, and I'll admit to being a snob. I walked up and down the beach, and thought the section in front of the hotel was some of the best for sure. My only complaint was the lack of good restaurants nearby --- for that we had to take that long walk further south into SOuth Beach proper.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the info about restaurants, GoTravel and Mar 76.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:08 AM
jor

GoTravel, I meant "Holiday Inn" The ones that sprang up in the 60's and 70's by the orginal developer. Not the other versions or hotels which remodeled and changed their name to Holiday Inn Express.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:09 PM

jor, funny that I found this thread tonight. I cancelled a room at a Hampton Inn and booked at one of the "old" Holiday Inns.

I started traveling on business the second year of HI's debut of the Priority Club program. They grossly underestimated the point redemption value and everyone I worked with had earned enough points the prior year (IN a year) to earn fabulous trips to Europe. Needless to say they quickly adjusted the redemption levels.

But the old hotels were tired and as Hamptons and Courtyards, etc. flourished, I stopped using HI's. I kind of chuckled when they started building the Expresses to lure business travelers back.

My PC points languished...but never disappeared.

A coworker convinced me that their point policy was one of the best so this year I started back. I love the new Expresses - but am amazed at how nice some of the "old" Holiday Inns now are!

I'll be in the boonies at the end of the week and the Holiday Inn has significantly more amenities than the Hampton Inn off the same exit.

I would have never guessed, but 20 years later I'm staying once again in the (refurbished) "old" Holiday Inns.

But, I do miss the old retro signs!