Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any info on Nova Scotia (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-info-on-nova-scotia-13269/)

sfink Mar 2nd, 1997 05:14 PM

Any info on Nova Scotia

We are considering a trip to Nova Scotia in Aug. and would like any suggestions re places to stay, iterinary etc. We like to stay in nice inns/b&b Thanks

Ron Mar 12th, 1997 09:37 AM

Nova Scotia's Department of Tourism provides a free booklet (several hundred pages thick) each year. It can be ordered via an 800 number. Allow a month or so for it to get there. Alternatively, you can arrive in NS and go to a Visitor Information Center and they will make ongoing reservations for you at B&B's which are a part of their network. I'm very familiar with the southern part of NS. If you have additional questions, feel free to write to me directly.

PJ Merrill Mar 27th, 1997 06:57 PM

Ron's right, the info from the Bureau of Tourism is great. We camped while in Nova Scotia several years ago. If you have the time go the Cape Breton Island (the northern part of the province). The ride along the Cabot Trail is nothing less that spectacular, stop in Chetticamp to see the Catholic church, is it open to all, check out Baddeck the Graham Bell museum is very well done. Also on Cape Breton is Fort Louisburg (Canada's equivalent to our Williamsburg). Have fun the people there are very friendly and helpful. P.S. If you have even more time take the ferry (or the new bridge) over the Prince Edward Island, the ocean water is as warm as the Carolinas!

Janice B. Apr 1st, 1997 01:47 PM

My father's family is from Nova Scotia and I have been visiting there for 26 years. An important fact, NS can be very foggy !!! We go at the end of July-beginning of August, we have had the best weather then. To see the shore do not travel on the main highway unless you absolutely have to make up time. Check out the web site at www.at data.ns.ca/argyle/lodege/lodge.html, this is for the ye olde argyler Lodge, this is near my parent's house, I have not been in, but have gone by it while fishing, it is right on the ocean, the food is supposedly great. It is worth the 1/2 hr drive from Yarmouth. This is off the lighthouse rte., and it has the view of some of the many islands dotting the coast.
Cape Breton is beautiful, never been but know many who have and loved it. Any questions please email.

Anne Kasycz Apr 2nd, 1997 08:50 PM

Hi! You will not be disappointed in a trip to Nova Scotia! You can do much of your planning in advance by visiting their Web Site at http://destinations-ns.com/ IF you click on "for more information" you can order a copy of their tourist guide by E-Mail. As the others have mentioned do not miss Cape Breton!!! I was raised in Cape Breton but have not lived there for 25 years, the one thing that has not changed is the weather. The evenings are cool so bring a sweater and late July/early August is the best time to go. Have a good trip!

Dave Feigenbaum Apr 6th, 1997 04:10 PM

All the advice you've received on Nova Scotia is
excellent and I agree with all of it. One additional
piece of advice, don't drive the Cabot Trail yourself. There's too much to see and if you're driving you can't do it justice (or you could have an accident on some of those curves).There are a number of local tour operators who will take you for a day trip and give you explanations of what you are seeing. We did this and got a lot more from the experience than we would have otherwise. Have a great trip, it's a fun place.

Claire SMith Apr 13th, 1997 11:35 AM

I live in Nova Scotia, and have for the last 22 years. It is truly beautiful. I come from the south shore which is spectacular, but you will find great spots all over the province. All these people have given you great advice, and it is a great spot to visit. If you like to camp, there are a lot of nice campgrounds all over the province; you really can`t miss Cape Breton & the Cabot trail. The NS tourism # is 1-800-565-0000. They will send you our free book which is called the Doer`s and Dreamer`s Guide, also ask them for a road map, a vacation package booklet and specific information on camping. (if you so desire). From my own neck of the woods, I highly reccommend Haddon Hall which is in Chester (they call it a hamlet by the sea)--Haddon Hall is a beautifully restored mansion now run as an elegant inn, kind of pricey but well worth it, beautiful surroundings, 90+acres of land overlooking the ocean. To die for. LIve theatre also going on in Chester, and a 45 minute drive to Halifax (our small but fun capital city)...Chester is actually a good day trip away from a lot of places in the province. YOu should also try whale watching on the Fundy coast...more beautiful spots to discover there! Please email me if you want more information -- I would love to help you out, and be sure to call the 1800 number, they will send you anything you need and are quite quick. Have a great time!