Any idease? within 1 hr of Tampa

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Bill

Any idease? within 1 hr of Tampa

We are 2 families travelling from England and are looking for ideas of where to stay - what to do within 1 hr of Tampa for 3 nights before relaxing on the beach for 10 days.Have done usual Disney and Busch in past, kids range 6 - 15, help.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:51 AM
garyt

Bill - take the gang to the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal... I went in April with my 14 and 12 year olds and was the Hero of the Household. You can walk to the parks and with front-of-line ride passes by just showing your room keys, you don't have to experience the hectic run and wait in line park experience. We were able to relax at the pool as well as do everything we wanted. They offer family rooms, and multi-day specials but call rather than book on the internet, I was able to save $150 by getting two rooms rather than one family suite... you won't regret the trip, and you will give the kids plenty to talk about while you rest in Tampa.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:08 AM
joan

Bill, go to the Florida Aquarium in downtown Tampa for a great couple of hours. Later that day, check out the amusement arcade/restaurant complex in Ybor City, named Centro Ybor. Stephen Spielberg has opened a Virtual Reality arcade. I have not been, but if Spielberg created it, it's got to be good. There's good dining and people watching in Ybor City too. A little racy, but go before 10 pm and you'll be fine.
Oh, something else our family loves in Tampa: Laser Tag. There's one on Dale Mabry north of the stadium, called Q-Zar. In case you don't know what it is, you wear glow-in-the-dark vests and they give you a laser gun, divide you into two groups (with others) and send you into a darkened room with ultraviolet lighting. You race around and try to shoot the other team. It's hilarious! Plan on playing two games, since you get better on the second try. Costs about $100 for 10 people for two games.

Have fun, and welcome!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Samantha

You could spend a few days exploring things in St. Petersburg - Sunken Gardens, The Pier, the dog track (if it's still there, been several years since I've lived there!). Cape Canaveral is an option, too. Enjoy your vacation.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:12 AM
L

The older kids will love Clearwater Beach, near the traffic rotary ... it's where the action is. Adults will find it amusing, and there are places near the beach to eat. Ciao

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:04 PM
sam

I personally really liked Busch Gardens.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:07 PM
kbs

Rent a canoe and paddle with the alligators on the Hillsborough (?) State Park. Can't do that in England.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Sal

And of course there are always the beautiful beaches of Anna Maria and Longboat Key, and hour south of Tampa.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Glenda

We liked the Lowry Zoo in Tampa. It is less expensive than the Aquarium and has a wonderful manatee exhibit as well as nice aviary.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:15 PM
OliveOyl

Don't know how recently you were here, Glenda, but FL Aquarium prices have come down considerably, though still a bit more than the zoo. Adults' zoo prices are $9.50, aquarium are $13.75 but if you get your tickets online, it's $3 off.

The Aquarium now has DolphinQuest eco-tours on a 64' cat as well. The Aquarium/DolphinQuest combination tickets are 21.50 adults, $14 for children.

There's time for both zoo and aquarium and both should appeal to kids from 6 to 60.

I heard a rumor that the rotary at CWB was going to go...it is soaking the occupants of covertibles interminably lost in it. gt; Can't they just turn the fountain down a bit or is it really because of all the wrecks...or is this pure rumor, anyone else heard? It is a traffic nightmare. My first time through I got shot out earlier than intended, and ended up driving halfway back to the ICW before I could do a Uie, then drive back to the circle to head to the north beach area! Quelle mess. Is this what you mean by "action" L? gt;

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Simone

Don't miss Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg. I also enjoy a lot Busch Garden.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Merrie

If you decide to go to Ybor City make a reservation for dinner at the Columbia Restaurant - it's one of the oldest still in existence in the USA - the authentic Spanish (from Spain) cuisine is good and they put on a Flamenco show. Also, Ybor City has a colorful and historical past. Many ethnic groups settled here and it became the cigar making town of America. There's a couple of historical buildings to visit and then on the main street there are new trendy shops, etc.