Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any ideas for a weekend in Northen California? Monteray?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading out to California to stay with a friend. We are looking for some good ideas for the weekend. We'll be driving from Oakland. Monteray? Tahoe? someplace to just relax and walk and see landscape and take pictures.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Mendocino or the Jenner area (if you don't want to drive so far). This is near Jenner - www.osmosis.com
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Excellent. Thanks for the website. Checking it out now. Definitely don't want to drive too far. Not sure if we're leaving on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning - so it will just be the weekend. I"m heading back home on Monday so a few hours driving is doable.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
One of my favorite experiences was kayaking in Monterrey Bay. The otters were amazing to watch (and one slipped up on the bow of my kayak to visit for a few seconds.)

I fell in love with Carmel a year ago. I had driven through several times but spent two days there and didn't want to leave. Loved walking through the little town taking pictures of the Comstock cottages and enjoyed the beach - and dog watching - a lot.

If you want to drive down the coast as far as the Hearst mansion there are several suggestions I'd for that drive. Absolutely gorgeous.

If you haven't seen the redwoods head a bit north of SF to Muir Woods. And, of course the wine country around Napa and Sonoma is gorgeous. I was in Sonoma for a barrel tasting a year ago today - and miss it! I get to go back in a couple of weeks though
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Starrs - thanks for the great advise. I'd love to check out Monterrey Bay.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Monterey is an easy (i.e. fairly short) drive, probably 1-1/2 and no more than 2 hours from Oakland. From there you can decide if you want to drive down more of the coast or not. (Tahoe, on the other hand, is at least 3-1/2 hours, with absolutely no traffic and no snow; and if this trip is soon, you might have to contend with snow...)
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Great to know sf307. Thank you. The trip would be the beginning of April. I'm thinking Monterey may be the place to go. Any good places to stay?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM

I would stay in Carmel instead of Monterey. If you do search for hotels/things in Monterey, note that it is spelled with only 1 "r".

Here is a post I did awhile back about Pt Lobos near Carmel.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...alif-coast.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Go up to Point Reyes, The whales should be putting on a show and there is a nice B&B near the park visitor center. Beautiful beaches, elk, flowers.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM

You can't go wrong with either Point Reyes or Carmel. One is north and one is south from Oakland.

Point Reyes is more "wild" and "isolated" but has interesting things, like an oyster farm, that will add to your visit. The beaches at Point Reyes is VERY long and pristine and great for quiet conversation or just quiet walking.

http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/beaches.htm

Carmel has Point Lobos which is gorgeous.

http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=Point+Lobos

South of Point Lobos is Big Sur:

http://www.pelicannetwork.net/
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM

I am also going to suggest Point Reyes. Totally unique and absolutely gorgeous.

The village of Sonoma would also be a nice getaway that is not very far from Oakland. Nice scenery, good restaurants.

When I lived in Oakland, one of my favorite weekend getaway spots was Bodega Bay and surrounding Sonoma Couty beaches just to the north.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Wow - this is great information. I'm checking all the great websites out now. Thank you all so much.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Another vote for Point Reyes. We have often rented a house there for a week and never seem to cover all the places within "the park" we want to visit. Here are a few of my favorites:
Abbott's Lagoon: a waterfowl sanctuary and an easy 1.5 mile wallk through meadowland out to the beach

Tomales Bluff: a rolling walk up hill and down(easy) which is about 10 miles in length but you can do any amount. At points you will see the Pa;cific on one side and Tomales Bay on the other. You will also see Tule Elk

Chimney Rock: an easy walk through which you may begin to see the early wildflowers

Since it is March, you simply must have oysters. My favorite place for same is the Marshall Store on Hwy 1.

This is (Point Reyes) a very easy drive of maybe 1 hour 15 minutes from Oakland.

SOme of my favorite places to stay include The Druids Hall Inn

You also might see if there is a rental house available and I would recommend checking into Sea Mist Cottage (see it on-line) and/or contacting Sandy Grey listed on that site who could help you with other possible places.

There is always Manka's which can be pricey but might have some rooms available.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Kayaking on Monterey Bay is lots of fun, we rented from Adventures by the Sea in Cannery Row. I would also not miss spending some time in Carmel. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

PamSF - thank you so much. Great information. I wish I could stay longer then the weekend. I'm from New York and I'm flying in to see my friend - but only for three days. These places sound great and I wish I was staying longer. Thank you so much.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM

www.nepenthebigsur.com
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
YES!! GypsyMaiden!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Pam, I have a question about staying in Marshall, where Sea Mist is located. I am trying to put together a little multiple night visit to Point Reyes and had more or less discounted places in Marshall as it was north of Point Reyes in favor of rentals either in Olema, Point Reyes Station or Tomales. What's it like staying around Marshall? Thanks.