Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any Horse Property Owners? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-horse-property-owners-591411/)

Horsecrazy Feb 15th, 2006 11:22 AM

Any Horse Property Owners?

We are looking for horse property in the San Antonio or North & East of Dallas.

Can anyone help with suggestions on areas with good school districts, safe communities and within a 45 minute max drive to a job center?

thanks,

HC

ChristieP Feb 15th, 2006 12:10 PM

What's your price range, and how many acres do you need? Where are you moving from?

Rockwall and Sunnyvale are both East of Dallas, have good schools and are horse-friendly. Further out, Lavon is also nice (the school district there is Community ISD). Avoid Lucas, as the city makes you build your barn out of the same material as your house (brick), which makes it get too hot during the summer and your hay storage could catch on fire!

Be careful about buying a place that is in a suburb that is poised for growth in the immediate future. I've had several friends who have had their horse properties literally zoned out from under them by new neighbors who complain to the planning commissions about "the smell and the flies."

Statia Feb 16th, 2006 04:35 AM

Bandera is an option outside of San Antonio.

Horsecrazy Feb 16th, 2006 04:38 AM

ChristieP,

Thanks for responding!

We would like a minimum of 10 to a max of 30-40 acres so we can have a full size arena and some pasture.

We are moving from Southern Calif. & would like to not spend more than $350K.

I'll do some research on the cities you mentioned and thanks for the tip on the one to avoid.

That seems crazy that they could RE-zone your property out from underneath you.

Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

HC

Horsecrazy Feb 16th, 2006 04:48 AM

Statia,

We have looked on the Internet for places around Bandera, Pipe Creek, Fredicksburg, Floresville, Seguin etc. essentially a big circle around San Antonio.

Same with the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

What is hard to tell of course is the community details such as safe neighborhoods, good schools etc.

We have twin 13yr old girls who are into barrel racing and pole bending here in Calif. so we want to keep them interested in this.

thanks,

HC

Statia Feb 16th, 2006 05:39 AM

Horsecrazy, my SIL used to live in Bandera and she has daughters the same age as yours. They seemed to really like the area and were pleased living there. However, I've only visited, so I can't really give you in depth info.

ChristieP Feb 16th, 2006 05:46 AM

HC,

Definitely get a Realtor that specializes in horse property. There are many NICE places that will meet your size and price range. Also, look at Sanger just North of Denton, and the Pilot Point and Tioga areas. While it is a longer drive to town for work from these towns, there are LOTS of horse places up there! Denton County has a great 4H program, too.

Yes, it is awful, but it does happen. The municipal planning commissions are mostly concerned with tax revenue, and a neighborhod of expensive homes brings in a LOT more tax revenue than a horse farm with an agriculture exemption! FYI, to get the ag exemption, you'll need at least one pregnant broodmare on the property each year. ;-)

You DON'T want an indoor arena here. They are extremely difficult to maintain due to the summer heat. An outdoor one is a LOT easier! Oh, if you already own a good tractor, bring it with you! Good used ones here are very difficult to find, and quite expensive when you do find them.

TxTravelPro Feb 16th, 2006 05:48 AM

East of Dallas...
Somewhere off 205 between Wylie/Nevada and Rockwall would be great!
I live out here and schools in Rockwall and Wylie are very good!

littleelm Mar 24th, 2006 04:59 AM

I have horse property on 5 acres and a 3700 plus minus sq ft house for sale in Oak Point which is 8 miles outside of Denton, about 20 miles from Frisco, about 2 miles north of Lewisville lake, right by the area the tollway will be built connecting Dallas. Please look at 710 Amber Lane, Oak point on the North Texas Country Properties by Dutch and Cheryl-Realtors.