Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any good eating places around the Grand central station area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 09:23 AM
Gytha

Does anyone know of any good restaurants/cafes in the Grand Central station area? We like Italian or American food but are open to any recommendations. Our price range is between $20-30 (I think, I'm not very good at converting from sterling!). We aren't looking for cheap places (there's plenty of McDonalds for that!) but not too expensive either - just good food, good atmosphere and somewhere you can take a 13 yr old. Oh! and anywhere with good breakfasts? Hopefully fairly near to our hotel because we will be hungry, but we don't mind walking a bit further than the Grand Central station area!

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Caitlin

Start with inside GC Terminal. On the lower level, there's a food hall with lots of shops and take-out opposrtunities of all kinds. This is not a mall-style food court; no fast food outlets, etc., but rather, high quality places, including offshoots of some well-known restaurants. The actual restaurants is GC, Michael Jordans and Metrazur, are outside your budget, though.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Frank

If you enjoy super fresh seafood, try the Grand Central Oyster Bar (lower level of GC)...it is slightly above your desired price level but, with careful menu selection you can keep the cost down. It is also a good choice for lunch at its counter area (seafood pan roasts, raw oysters, chowders, fried oysters/clams etc.)

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Roger

You are actually getting somme very good suggestions in an area that would have been much more dificult a few years ago. The Oyster Bar is a great call. The tables are a bit pricey but the counter is wonderful. I have eaten lunch there countless times and the food is reasonably priced. A great tuna burger is less than $10. The vaulted ceilings are great as well. It's a real NY institution. You could also try Two Boots which is a very good pizza place with an original location in the East Village. I also ate at a Mexican place (Zocalo I think) down there recently that was surprisingly good. All places are on the lower level, which has been transformed in the last year.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 06:06 AM
Mike

For breakfast, of for an inexpensive lunch or dinner, the Comfort Diner on 45th St between 2nd and 3rd Avenues is probably a good bet. I've never been there, but I've gotten a strong recommendation from people who have.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 09:40 AM
Gytha

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I can feel my waistline expanding already!! It's great to know we won't have too far to walk when we're starving hungry.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 06:10 AM
Roger

I have been to the Comfort Diner and that would be a great place for you to go to grab breakfast. More spots in Grand Central include Custard Beach for some great ice cream after your meal.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:36 AM
Gytha

Ah-ha, thanks Roger! You have just hit on one of our diet downfalls - we all love ice-cream!! Mazza,my neice, was asking me the other day about the great ice creams there were in America (I didn't get to try them when I stayed before. Well,it was the end of Nov and a bit cold for ice cream), now we can find out for ourselves!! Yippeeee!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:04 PM
elizabeth

I would second the recommendation of Zocala in Grand Central. We took our 14 year old goddaughter there and she loved it (especially the ribs). Another place she enjoyed was Virgils (off Times Square) for bar-b-q.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 01:20 PM
Roger

By my responses you may get the feeling that I have eaten in every place in Manhattan. Not yet but I am working on it. I will second the vote for Virgils and the pulled pork sandwich in particular, even ask for some Scorned Woman hot sauce but be easy with it. Given that it sounds like you are coming from across the pond, this would be a great spot. It is very good barbeque (by New York standards, not quite like the South and Texas). This represents one of the few cuisines that is both good and uniquely American and certainly worthy of sampling. Also will throw in a vote for the ever so touristy Carnegie Deli. Same uniquely NY atmosphere and Patrami as ever. Do yourself a favor and do NOT order the pastrami lean. You can diet when you get home. Top it off with some great cheesecake while you are at it.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 04:49 PM
Jeff

Zocalo is an upper east side restaurant always with a crowd. The food is wonderful. They just opened the offshoot in GCT and if it is as good as the 3d Ave/82d Street restaurant, I vote for it.