Any Fodorites on Oahu April 13-19th?

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
jetset1

Any Fodorites on Oahu April 13-19th?

My husband wants to send me on a trip as a birthday gift. I'll be going alone, so if there are any Mai Tai fans out there who would also like to hike to the top of Diamond Head, let me know!
I don't think I'll pass this up. I've been holding down the fort during his trips out of town, and keeping the kids in line, so I would love to get away and relax for a week.
My spring break was spent with the family in rainy Washington state, so I was cheated out of nice weather,lol..

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
jetset1

yeah, I figured as much. It's pretty rare for a married person to go to Hawaii alone, let alone look for Mai Tai comrades! Oh well, I tried.

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jetset, you probably won't get replies right away since you only posted a couple of hours ago. Wait till the new day starts and people log in from work. As for me, I'll be here in Honolulu but I live & work here so I wouldn't be able to get away for a hike. You might, however, check in with PakePorkChop's Chinatown walking tour and since he's semi retired, he'd join you for a loco moco afterward. try him at [email protected].
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Aloha jetset,

Don't give up yet... many fff don't lurk until business hours... hang in there. Call it a GTG!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:11 AM
jetset1

okay, I'll try to organize a gtg then. Maybe at Duke's so I wouldn't have to do a table for 1, or sit at the bar with a paperback,lol.

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:01 PM

jetset1 - I'm so jealous! What a great hubby you must have to send you to Hawaii! I went by myself the last time and loved it. Be sure to bring a few of those paperbacks - they are great fun to read, especially with no kids to interrupt you. But as far as sitting at the bar at Duke's - you won't need a paperback there - I did just that when I was there - the scenery was magnificent and everyone at the bar was really friendly - bartenders too - and I had a great time. Order a few mai tais, paninis or lava flows and you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:07 PM
jetset1

BashfulLV.. he is a sweetheart.. I told him I'd feel a "little guilty", but I'd get over it.. ha ha. I've always been independent and without the family, can go for hours without stopping. So I think it will be relaxing and as energetic as I want it to be. The way I see it, we can always go back next trip as a family.

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:17 PM

Way to go Jetset! We'll be on Oahu the week of the 16th but don't think we'll be able to get together as we'll be visiting with hubby's friend that lives there. Will you be staying in Honolulu? We'll be on the west shore at Ko 'Olina.

Have a wonderful time and be sure to pamper yourself well!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:53 PM
jetset1

hey travelinwifey~ will do! Now that the reality has sunk in, I'm making my daily plans. I can't just be a beach lizard. I will earn my Mai Tais each day. Would be nice to collapse into slumberland every evening from a combination of sun and activity. I can't wait!
The neat part is the time change, two hours earlier than Alaska, and I get up at 6 am with my h.s. kid anyway, so 4 am will be a piece of cake.

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:08 PM

Wow, you're traveling from Alaska? Your hubby sure does know how to treat you right! Sounds like you will be enjoying a lot of hiking, that will be wonderful. If I only had the will power... Instead we will use the time to sit on our a**es, lol Time to soak up the
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM
jetset1

Alaskans love Hawaii. It's direct of course, so you can go from -20 to 80 in 5 hours. 2 am departure with a 6 am arrival, perfect! Out temps aren't bad, melting snow in my yard and close to 40 this week.
And there will probably be a lazy afternoon or two or three, but I exist on twigs and berries while alone, so I'm not gonna think about my calorie count for that week.. doubt I'll be eating restaurant meals, except for Duke's since those caesar salads are hard to beat.

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Jetset1,
My friend and I will be in Honolulu from April 12 to April 18. Not exactly Mai Tai fans but certainly fans of Happy Hour as long as they serve wine. Definitely not fans of hiking Diamond Head though as we are both a couple of couch potatoes and really just going to relax. How about Duke's for Happy Hour on Friday? The other Fodorites seem to think it's a fun place for Happy Hour. I've been there for breakfast buffet but never for happy hour.

How will we know you? I am 50 (like to think I look younger), and have long (middle of back) dark hair, 5'5" and slender. My friend is older (I won't tell but she looks younger too) and has short dark hair, about 5'8", and wears glasses. My name is Diane and her's is Rose if you want to join us, we're definitely people people and like to have a good time.

Where are you staying? We'll be at Pacific Monarch on Kuhio.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM

If you guys decide to come for sunset cocktails overlooking Honolulu harbor at Aloha Tower Marketplace, let me know! I have a busy week this week but may be able to join you after work.