Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any decent Indian Restaurants in Vegas on the strip?

May 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

I am taking my two kids (25 and 22 years old) to Vegas this coming Monday. This is their first Vegas experience and I am looking forward to taking them to some good (not extravagant) food experiences. I'm looking for a spot for us to have dinner before the 9:00 Penn and Teller show at the Rio. We are staying at the MGM Grand. My husband will be joining us the next evening, so we'll be saving Sushi and Italian for the nights he is with us.

I've never had Indian food and so I'm kind of thinking of us experimenting with that. However, the 2 Indian restaurants nearby (Gaylord's at the Rio and Tamba by the Hawaiian Market) haven't the greatest reviews. Do any of you Fodorites have an opinion on either of these places? I really don't want to take a cab to eat someplace cause we'll have to cab it to the Rio.

If neither of these Indian places are worth going to, any suggestions on any of the other restaurants (not fine dining, but nice @$15-$35 pp) in either the MGM Grand, Rio, New York New York? I was also looking at a Japanese Teppan Yaki style place (not sushi), but the Hamada doesn't have great reviews either.

Thanks for any suggestions
May 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM

When I get to the office I will ask my co-worker who is a young hip Indian guy that loves to go to Vegas! Posting now to remind myself later!!!
May 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
May 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Okay!

He said it is called Tambi, across the street from the Bellagio in a strip mall, on the second floor. I don't know if that is the Tamba you mentioned or not? I tried to google it but nothing comes up...Not sure if that is a bad or good sign! I know he is picky about his Indian food, he is also a vegetarian so I know they must have vegetarian dishes.
May 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM

That is it for sure. He said when he has been there he has seen lots of Bollywood celebrities...now I wouldn't know if they were or not but it would be fun to pretend! They have a 10% off coupon on their website right now too!
http://www.tambalounge.com/

Have fun with the family!
May 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Good suggestion Mary2Go... it looks like they have good reviews! This link has a map too so that you can tell if it's in the area you want.
http://maps.live.com/localsearch/Det...ea4d&FORM=LLSV

Farecast_Nate
May 8th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I was leaning towards it, maybe we'll give it a shot. What's a favorite dish people usually order their first time at an Indian restaurant?
May 8th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Generally people trying Indian food for the first time go for mildly spiced items like korma (a mild creamy curry made with nuts) or tikka masala (tomato based creamy curry).
I like chicken saag (also mild with spinach).

Some good vegetable dishes are aloo gobi (potato with cauliflower)
dahl (lentil curry) chana dahl (chick pea curry)

raita is a side dish of yogurt which is good to have with curry if you find it too spicy (very cooling) and naan bread is usually loved by most (flat bread cooked in the tandoor oven)
May 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Tikka masala with a side of naan is pretty universally enjoyed by many people who don't go for the more "exotic" stuff.

I had one friend who ordered it every time we went to an Indian restaurant because she wasn't "brave" enough to try anything else, despite our efforts to get her to branch out -- a lot of the curry based dishes aren't that different from each other.