Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any cheap movie theatres for matinees in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:35 AM
movies

Hiya.

I am looking for movie theatres in Manhattan or nearby suburbs that have cheaper matinee rates etc. I've only seen cinemas on the UES for $10 with no matinees.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Gloria

Unlike the suburbs, Manhattan movie theatres do not discount matinees.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 12:09 PM
f

But they do give senior citizen discounts for matinees.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:28 PM
goNets

I know there's a theater around 50th btw 8th and 9th that show's films that have been out of theaters for a few months and tickets are around $6 all the time.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:37 PM
carole

The movie theater on 50th between 8th and 9th that had low-priced tickets has closed, unfortunately.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Peewee H

There used to be a lot of 25 cent movie theatres around Times Square, but the mayor shut them down.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 10:02 PM
patty

I was so bummed when they closed the Worldwide Cinema (the one on 50th & 8th Ave). But on the Upper West Side there are two Clearview Cinemas with lower matinee (before the main 7-ish show) prices. Both the Metro (Broadway & 99th St) and Olympia (Broadway & 107th St) have $7.50 tickets for their afternoon shows, as opposed to their usual $9.50 price.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:14 AM
rqf

The Clearview Cinema theaters on the upper west side (107th St. and 100th St. on Broadway) both offer a $6.50 price until 5pm. They always show first run movies.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Shannon

The Pavilion Brooklyn Heights has cheaper tickets (I think $6) on Tues. and Weds. nights. They show first-run films.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Elizabeth

If you live here, a way to see tons of movies for little $ is: join the Museum of Modern Art and hypothetically go to a couple of movies every day.

Join the Film Society of Lincoln Center and go to movies at the Licoln Center Walter Reade Theatre every day.

Join the Film Forum and see movies for $5.

None show first-run movies of course, though all show the best of the best from around the world.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 02:19 PM
ma

Thanks for the tips everybody. These are great!