Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Any chance of getting tickets/accomodations for the Olympics?

Any chance of getting tickets/accomodations for the Olympics?

Nov 26th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Wyn

Any chance of getting tickets/accomodations for the Olympics?

Does anyone know if it is possible at this point to get tickets to any Olympic events in Salt Lake City? Doesn't have to be the big-name events, even something ridiculous like curling. Also, is it possible to get a room or any type of accomodation (short of renting out someone's house) at this point in time?

Nov 26th, 2001, 09:30 AM
lucky

I am currently in downtown SLC watching it snow. I think the landscape regarding tickets and accomodations for the Olympics both regrding tickets and housing has changed since 9/11. I would try the Olympic website. ya can link to it directly from Delta.com. There are tickets still available. As stated in this mornings Salt Lake Tribune, some travel agencies are now dropping their package prices on tickets and housing but also say they expect things to ramp up again at the last minute. I would try a few travel agents..I would call SLOC..I would call Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce. There is and will be tickets..there are and will be rooms.

Nov 26th, 2001, 12:36 PM
wake

If you want to place yourself at the next likeliest target for terrorism, by all means, go to the Salt Lake Olympics!

Nov 26th, 2001, 02:20 PM
xxx

Actually, I was thinking the Super Bowl (very American) would be a logical target for terrorists. Olympics probably run a close second.

Nov 28th, 2001, 08:38 AM
lucky

Wyn...check out NBCOlympics.com it contains a listing of events and ticket availablilty and pricing...

Nov 28th, 2001, 04:28 PM
its

Well let's see, we know that the Olympic Games have already been a preferred target of Middle Eastern terrorists, (1972 Munich) and we know that security at the games, at least in the U.S., is so lax that some anonymous person was able to place and detonate a bomb in the middle of it all (1996 Atlanta).

An Olympic Games on U.S. soil, with shoddy security and athletes from all the industrialized nations of the world, including the hated Israel, must indeed be a very tempting target for Bin Laden and Co.

Nov 28th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Brian

Oh I wish all you pantywaist wussies would stop your whining and whimpering.
If you want to sit in your dark basements listening to ham radios by all means do so, but leave the rest of us alone who have gone on with our lives.
I was at the 1996 and 2000 Olympics and am still planning to go to SLC.

As for Wyn's question: you should be able to locate tickets through standard channels at this point, but regardless, we've always been able to get tix to any event simply by purchasing them from "street vendors" (scalpers). This year's prices will be LOW. Attendance and demand will likely be low. Rooms will begin to open up around the week of the Opening Ceremonies when cancellation deadlines hit and group reservation rooms open up. You won't get a 'nice' room, as they're always taken by official reps and such. But you should have some decent options this year.

Nov 29th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Barbara

The official web site is www.saltlake2002.com There are tickets available, including some of the best events, if you are willing to buy them in a package deal. I have heard that rooms will open up as media and sponsors release some of the rooms they have reserved but won't be needing. There may be some available now - definitely check with a travel agent.

Nov 29th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Curley

Wyn: HEY!!!! Who are you calling ridiculous??????

Search this Thread