Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any and all information on Volcanoes National Park

Jul 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
cd
Original Poster

We will be staying for 5 wks in an oceanfront cottage in northeast Oahu. Having the ocean for a backyard is just about the best ever and we are looking forward to it very much. However, we want to see Volcanoes National Park so will be taking a morning flight from Honoluu to Hilo and returning that evening. We will rent a car at the airport and drive to the park. I would appreciate any and all information anyone has on this day trip. Thank you.
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM

The conditions are always changing. You should keep checking at the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park website to get up to date information.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/

If I had 5 weeks in Hawaii, I would spend more than one day on The Big Island.
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM

I second Marginal's suggestion. From what I've been reading, the lava flows can be really spectacular at night, so you might want to spend at least one night on the Big Island and then head back to Oahu.

Lee Ann
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
SAB

If your budget will allow, I would also suggest spending at least a night on the Big Island up at the volcano. It is well worth it--even if you don't see lava flow--to get up in the morning and visit the volcano before most of the day trippers arrive.
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM

I agree; we stayed at the Kilauea Lodge and really enjoyed it. When we were there, you could hike out at night to see the lava flow, and it was spectacular. If there's any way to do it, I'd spend some time on the BI.
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I will sure consider your suggestions. The reason we are staying on just one island is the rent is cheaper the longer you stay and we just wanted to plant ourselves in a warm place when it's icy here in Ohio.

If we just do the day trip or even if we stay in a hotel overnight, are there days that are better, as in not as busy?

How far a drive from the airport at Hilo to the park? Great place for lunch? On the water, of course