Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any advise on a restaurant with an amazing view and a hotel in Manhattan? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-advise-on-a-restaurant-with-an-amazing-view-and-a-hotel-in-manhattan-770817/)

N77 Mar 4th, 2009 08:28 AM

Any advise on a restaurant with an amazing view and a hotel in Manhattan?

Wow, only three days in New York City. My DH and I, are taking our 17 year old daughter on her "sweet sixteen" birthday trip. Yes, we are a bit late getting to it! My DH has procrastinated, he hates the idea of visiting big cities. The last one we visited independently was San Francisco, I thought he was going to have a heart attack when we got lost there. Really, it was maddening and my husband never freaked out like he did on that day. It was then that I thought, I'll never get him to New York City. But alas, my daughter saved me from that unthinkable fate! He couldn't seem to say no to her "sweet 16" birthday request to see Wicked and shop a little in NYC!

So, as you can see my DH is not an independent traveler. Okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration. If it people speak English, and it is not too big of a city or a different country, we do just fine independently. However, anywhere with much risk of getting lost or worse, hurt (only in massive cities or other countries like Turkey, Egypt, all of Europe etc.) we hire drivers and private tour guides. I said all that to say that this is a thrilling departure for me. For a while he said we had to hire a private guide, but now he has agreed to go it alone! Yeah! I get to take a cab from the airport to our hotel, I couldn't get my husband to let me do that in Greece, Rome, or Amsterdam, no we had to waste a half day of our precious vacation time until the guide and driver arrived for those instances!! Now I have to confess, the only reason my DH said yes to this trip is because many of our friends have told him that you can get away with lodging somewhere on Time Square and never have to take a subway (oh no, the subway is waaay too risky) nor a cab. He's been assured that we can walk everywhere easily (during our very short stay) and it is safe on Time Square (if your not stupid).

We will arrive at the Islip Macarthur Aiirport around 9am on Thursday, May 13th, and depart on Saturday, May 15th, at 6 pm. We have so little time for this first time visit! A first for us, not our daughter, she spent a week visiting a couple of years ago with a large group and was able to see a lot of the most popular tourist sites.

Now about the hotel, we have been quoted a price of $255 (Travelocity) for a one bedroom with two queen beds at the Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown
(235 West 35th Street -near 7th *Fashion Ave. Yeah!). The Tripadvisor reviews are good. There are many reviews stating how amazingly quiet the rooms are (even when they are right next to an elevator) and the free breakfast is decent. I may go with that location. Do you all have any other recommendations? We could pay $400 a night, if there was a better location with an incredible view. The most important factors are cleanliness, and the unit being as quiet (we are light sleepers) as a room in New York City can be, close to Broadway, restaurants, and boutique shopping (being petite, it is hard to find great clothes at the regular chain stores -being able to shop where there are more boutiques is important, as long as they are not all funky and edgy, that's not our style).

Next issue, I would love advise on a restaurant. We would like to pay $50 per person or less, but would pay $100 or more per person if we had to. We don't like seafood, I sooo wish we did. We like good steaks, Italian, American, barbecue (not our top choice) or even pizza, if it is very good. Yea, we are food snobs too. It would be nice to find one that is not too loud, but we are willing to endure that. I can find highly rated restaurants but I need one to be around a $10. taxi ride distance (no subway for us, oh no, remember, that would be waaay too risky) or walking distance (we are all pretty fit and don't mind walking) and we are hunting for a great place with a view. It would be nice to have a good view in the day light and a spectacular view when the sun goes down). It could be a high rise view of the big city, or even a beautiful view of water. It could be a beautiful garden view, just any stunning view, but my greatest desire is to see the city light up! I sort of have my heart set on it. For this price range, is that an unrealistic expectation in New York City?

We have two nights, one full day. We hope to book an evening showing of Wicked for our first night (Thursday night). I do want to book it tonight. Friday at 10 am, we will join the "RealNewYorkTours" six hour Big Apple tour, then shop a little at boutiques that are a little conservative, if there is such a thing in the city, and dine somewhere memorable with a view. If we can't dine with an amazing view, we'll probably dine early on Friday night and and go to the Top of the Rock to see the city as the sun goes down. Does anyone know how early we should show up (on a Friday evening in May) to see the sun go down from the Top of the Rock?

I apologize for being so long winded, I felt the information was necessary though. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for any and all advise!

Nannette

vjpblovesitaly Mar 4th, 2009 08:54 AM

You husband sounds very silly and immature. It is Times Square by the way, and it is one of the most unppealing parts of the city, unless you are interested in bright lights and noise.

On Tripadvisor, the River Café is often recommended for its views.

http://www.rivercafe.com/

Why does he think a cab is safer than a taxi?

nytraveler Mar 4th, 2009 09:02 AM

Well - first of all - Islip is a really bad idea. It is HOURS from the city - really mostly for people who live on LI. You canot take a cab from Islip to Manhattan, but will have to arrange a car service - try Dial 7 or Carmel web sites and contact them for a quote. You can also go to the airport web site and see what limo companies they list. (Otherwise you have to take a shuttle to the LIRR staion in Ronkonoma and then the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station, then a cab to your hotel. The train runs once an hour except for rush hour.)

Second, there is not much to see in Times Square - most sights are elsewhere. Also, Times Square is NOT very pleasant. You will have to take either a subway or cab to most sights unless you feel like walking about 20 miles per day. (There are a few sights nearby: Rock Cener, Top of the Rock, MoMA. For most others you are beyond walking distance.)

The only restaurant with a view near you is the one on top of the Marriott Marquis. I think the price is more than you want to pay (check it out on menupages.com) and the food isn;t great - but there is a view (if you reserve a view table and eat early or late). What I would reco is TheRiver Cafe in Brooklyn - which has incredible views of the Manhattan skyline and excelent food - but it is way over your budget and the cab to get there is definitely not $10.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but I think there are some kinks in your plan that need to be worked out.

nytraveler Mar 4th, 2009 09:07 AM

Just checked River Cafe and the prix fixe dinner is $98 per person - so , with one drink each for you and hsuband and a soft drink for daughter plus tax and tip you're talking in the range of $500 for 3 people.

nytraveler Mar 4th, 2009 09:09 AM

Sorry for the type - that is $400 for 3 people.

N77 Mar 4th, 2009 09:17 AM

Well, that is my reality vjpblovesitaly. I have a short visit, a need to lodge near the show, "Wicked" (and I have who I have as a husband). I truly hate the limitations, but I know he has seen great violence and death and is not comfortable on his own. I am grateful, however, that he is willing to stretch himself a little. Otherwise, I would not have been able to visit Turkey, Israel and Egypt! Albeit, with private guides and drivers, but it was surprising that he let us go at all with the risk!

I will check out Rivercafe.com. Thank you so much for that tip!

nytraveler Mar 4th, 2009 09:22 AM

Sorry - never addresed your hotel qustion.

The only way to get a quiet room - esp near Times Square hwich is loud, tacky and garish - is to get a room on a high fllow at a new hotel with really heavy duty windows. Or - a courtward room (inside - no views) at a hotel which offers them. The city has quite a bit of ambiant noise at night and the commercial carters (collect garbage from businesses rather than residences - are required to pick up in the middle of the night to avoid snarling traffic during the day. This usually happens from when restaurants/club shut (2 am) to about 5 am - and the crashing and clashig noises can be significant.

One does not come to NYC for quiet.

Also - Times Square doens't have shops - as in boutiques. It has tourist shops, souvenir shops and going out of business electronics shops. For boutiques you need to go to other areas of the city. Downtown is fairly trendy. Upper Madison is designer and uber expensive. Not sure of any comglomeration of shops for peetites - since I'm 5'9" - but all the major stores have large petite departments.

N77 Mar 4th, 2009 09:23 AM

Thanks for the input. We were flying into Islp because the tickets are free. We have secured transportation for $120.

Our main goal is to see Wicked and shop. I guess we are going to have to get out of Time Square for dining, and pay more. We don't drink, but I see we need to pay more. That is doable! Thanks!!!!

N77 Mar 4th, 2009 09:28 AM

Not looking for a "conglomeration" of petite shops. Just boutiques that may have unique things, not too edgy. I'll look into Downtown. I planned to book a higher room at the Wingate, it is said to be more quiet! Thanks nytraveler.

ellenem Mar 4th, 2009 09:39 AM

<<We will arrive at the Islip Macarthur Airport around 9am on Thursday, May 13th, and depart on Saturday, May 15th, at 6 pm. >>

For planning purposes, anticipate arriving in Manhattan by about noon on Thursday. To make your departing flight on Saturday, you'd have to leave Manhattan by about 2:30 pm at the latest. I assume you are flying Southwest and that's why you are flying to such an inconvenient location. Do you plan to take the train or car service into Manhattan?

Considering your description of your husband's traveling requirements, I think flying into Islip is a bad start to your trip. Based ont he limitations you've mentioned, I can't imagine him enjoying much of this trip. Any way you can leave him home and just have a mother-daughter trip?

nytraveler has given you realistic descriptions of what to expect in Times Square. No single location in Manhattan will meet all your requirements.

ellenem Mar 4th, 2009 09:42 AM

I was typing while you were posting. I see you have a driver for the trip into Manhattan. Even so, if you get to your hotel by 11:30 am, you will have made excellent time.

Yes, look downtown for boutiques, but be prepared to take a taxi or subway (eek!) to get there from your hotel.

Aduchamp1 Mar 4th, 2009 09:43 AM

Sometimes these boards are more like Dr. Phil than travel advice.

There are many stores for young women on East 9-11 from Ave A to Second Ave with unqiue clothing. For chains try Fifth Ave from 22nd Street down to about 15 Street.

doug_stallings Mar 4th, 2009 10:01 AM

Be aware that the transfer is going to take about 2 hours each way, and plan for that.

About your hotel. The Wingate is fine, but it's not in the Times Square area; it's near Penn Station and Macy's. It's OK for shopping (basically big chain stores you can probably find at home and very very crowded). If you want to stay in the Times Square area, then I'd suggest a hotel east of Broadway (there are alot of hotels on 44th Street). This will make walking a bit easier.

Your cuisine limitations are going to be a hindrance in finding an excellent restaurant with a view. They are few and far between (and by and large not worth the money). Consider the Boathouse in Central Park, which is expensive and fairly mediocre but ok, and I think you might be happy). The cab ride from a hotel in Times Square might be $10 or $12 each way.

I also like the Modern, but to get the excellent view of the courtyard at MOMA, you have to pay $98 or so to eat in the dining room. The larger Bar Room has no view, but it's quite a scene and has a pretty varied menu of Alsatian-inspired cuisine, and you can definitely eat for $50 per person. It's all small plates, and you choose 2 or 3 per person. If you share some things and get the tart, which is like a giant goat cheese pizza and can be shared by 3, it's a good deal. The lamb chop is just excellent, but you get just one huge lamb chop. If you are big eaters, then this place might not suit. But you can walk there, and the Bar Room would work well for your pre-theater meal, when you don't want to eat a lot.

If you want just a pretty pre-theater dinner, try ViceVersa. No view, but it's a beautiful little restaurant with excellent modern Italian food. I eat there often.

Another option I like is Tabla, which has some tables overlooking Madison Square Park ($10 to $15 by cab from Times Square, depending on traffic). The food is Indian-inspired, but not really Indian, just using some of those spices. The prix-fixe menu is $64, I believe. It's a beautiful room.

Someone has already mentioned the Water Club, which is in Brooklyn, but it's an expensive and romantic restaurant and not really suitable for at teen.

The restaurant at the top of the Marriott Marquis is hugely overpriced. Eat there at your own risk. Please please avoid Tavern on the Green.

Asiate, at the top of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, is expensive ($100 per person) but has absolutely fabulous views. Be sure to ask for a table overlooking Central Park if you go there. The chef has changed; it used to be great. One option might be to have the excellent brunch there, and it's within easy walking distance of Times Square.

When choosing a restaurant, realize that unless you drink tap water, drinks are going to be expensive, even if nonalcholic. A restaurant that costs $100 per person for food will really cost you about $400, not $300 once taxes, tip, and beverages are added in. A restaurant that costs $50 per person for food will cost $200 to $225 even if you don't drink alcohol.

I think it's a waste to base yourself in Times Square and then refuse to take the subway, but that's your circumstance. You can get to the Museum of Natural History in a 30- to 40-minute walk, to the Metropolitan Museum or Frick in a 45-minute walk; to MOMA in a 15-minute walk; and to Rockefeller Center 15-minute walk. It's nice to stroll through Central Park during the day, which I'd recommend for your first day. You'll have to shop along 5th Avenue and Madison (15 minutes away by foot and then the shops stretch from about 44th Street up to 86th). There are a lot of stores on 5th Avenue and around Rock Center that will occupy your daughter for hours, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Happily, it's very hard to get lost here. And it's very safe.

doug_stallings Mar 4th, 2009 10:10 AM

Why don't you price the Millennium Broadway. It's a good location, on the right side of Broadway, and may have some specials.

gyppielou Mar 4th, 2009 10:20 AM

Hey Doug,

What's the right side of Broadway?

N77 Mar 4th, 2009 10:26 AM

I was braced for the "Dr. Phil" comments. I know my situation is weird. I may complain from time to time, but I shouldn't. My DH is amazingly patient, loving, and generous. He fights to find a way to say "yes" to as many requests as possible. I should never complain.

I am glad that you all have helped me to face reality... I am sad, extremely sad, that Time Square "is one of the most unappealing parts of the city." I did not know. I am sooo glad to know. I haven't looked into Brooklyn. Maybe we could get out of the Time Square area just after our "Real New York Tour" and see just a tiny bit of Brooklyn where the River Cafe is. I'll look into that area right now.

We still can reconsider our Southwest option. It was a way to cut a tiny bit off of the cost of this trip.

I was hoping that my DH would feel comfortable with the subway after exploring it on the "Real New York Tour." I understand that we will hop on and off of it a lot during the tour. It will be that or a cab to get to the shopping locations that you all have advised me on. I cannot thank you enough for your input. We are petite. We can fit into a lot of regular clothes, but not all of them. It is just a bit limiting. Having lots of shops is a dream for my daughter and myself. As we have traveled, we try not to spend time clothes shopping. On this trip, for the first time, the goal is to do what our daughter wants, which is what I want! To see Wicked, shop, and eat out at some great restaurants. So, thank you for the advise on the shopping areas and restaurants!

vjpblovesitaly Mar 4th, 2009 10:31 AM

It is Times Square. Named after the newspaper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square

basingstoke2 Mar 4th, 2009 10:35 AM

The Top of the Tower Restaurant and Lounge at the Beekman Tower hotel has IMO some of the best views in NYC and good food. The hotel is located at Mitchell Place, which is just across from the UN Building on the East River. Thus, you will have River, UN, and City views. The hotel is best reached by taxi.

The hotel itself is Art Deco in style but is starting to get a bit worn. However, the price of the one bedroom suites are a bargain for NYC and an excellent value if you can get past the location from where you will need a taxi to most NY sights and suites that although clean can use some sprucing up.

N77 Mar 4th, 2009 10:38 AM

I have so much homework to do. Really, it seems like the only thing in Time Square for us is Wicked. I'm going to rethink our hotel location. I knew the drive two and from the airport would be 2 hours. However, I am rethinking going for the free tickets. I can cancel without a problem with Southwest.

I am stoked about the restaurant options for our short 3 day stay. I love the pre-theater suggestion of the restaurant Visa-Versa. I really appreciate all of the restaurant, hotel and shopping suggestions.

sf7307 Mar 4th, 2009 11:04 AM

You don't have much time on this trip, so don't even consider going to Brooklyn! Stay in Manhattan, there's certainly plenty to do for a couple of days (now that's an understatement :-) )

As for Times Square, it's wild and noisy and crowded, but we've stayed there plenty of times and it's an excellent LOCATION (in the abstract -- meaning its close to the theatre, and many subway lines, etc.) We've also stayed mid-town East, and prefer that, but the kids loved staying in Times Square (we've stayed at the Renaissance, Hilton and Westin, as well as the Residence Inn, which is a couple of blocks OFF Times Square).