Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Any 411 on the Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/any-411-on-the-sea-mist-oceanfront-resort-148888/)

Buttaphly Jul 24th, 2001 08:00 PM

Any 411 on the Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort???

I am planning a fam. vacation to Myrtle Beach in August. My family includes a 10 & 13 y/o. In a S.C. brochure I saw an add for this resort. I'm wondering if anyone can give me feedback that has stayed there (preferably) or seen it. They had really good deals posted in this brochure. Thanks in advance! :-)

Sue Jul 26th, 2001 10:04 AM

I've seen the Sea Mist and it looks all right from outside... wouldn't call it a resort though, more of a motel- unless it's been remodelled. I've never been inside but you won't be spending much time inside anyway! The beach is wonderful- if you want more seclusion- drive down to Surfside Beach or Garden City Beach. Much quieter and family-oriented. Have fun! Hope this helps.

dembody Jul 26th, 2001 03:11 PM

You may want to try Forest Dunes. It is by a lovely stretch of beach and is in a very nice area. The units are individually owned condos and are very nice. They also have an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, a "lazy river" ride, and hot tub. Website:www.forestdunes.com

Randa Jul 26th, 2001 03:51 PM

The Sea Mist is a huge resort; if you want an oceanfront room make sure you specify. We've stayed there before and I didn't think the rooms were the best-kept, but we overlooked that because my children adored the mini-water park on site (at the building across the street). The Sea Mist also owns a small amusement park nearby and gives discounts for the tickets. At your children's ages I'd make sure to take them to Broadway at the Beach (Nascar speedpark, acquarium, Imax, mini golf, butterfly pavilion, lots of shops and dining). They'd probably also like Alligator Adventure over at Barefoot Landing as well. Have fun, wherever you end up staying.

Buttaphly Jul 27th, 2001 11:18 AM

Ok...thanks so far for the responses. I'm sensing a lukewarm feeling about Sea Mist. Regarding Surfside Beach/Garden Beach...are you just recommending the beach or the properties there. If you are recommending the properties...which ones would you suggest...oceanfront/reasonable?

Sue Jul 29th, 2001 04:48 AM

Sorry I was wrong about the Sea Mist- it is a resort! Oops... make sure you ask for oceanfront - sometimes these places have an office and a building on the ocean but the cheaper rooms are in an "annex" across the street. <BR>Alway go to Surfside and stay at a family run motel (kitchenette,etc.) because we know the couple who owns it... it's not fancy but it is cheap. It's across the street from the ocean. It's called the Sea-Esta. But there are some great condos for rent nearby and a Holiday Inn, too. Don't know how long you'll be staying but the condos are usually a minimum 7 days (Sat to Sat). I agree with the other poster that Broadway at the Beach is a must, Barefoot Landing, too. Also- we always play Putt Putt (miniature golf) while at Myrtle. Also a great water park is in Surfside- right on highway 17... reduced fees after 4pm and most of the crowds are gone by then. Have fun!