Antelope House Tours - Canyon de Chlly

May 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Antelope House Tours - Canyon de Chlly

Has anyone taken this tour? Tripadvisor shows several good reports, so we're thinking of doing this when we in the Sedona area this summer.
May 30th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

When we ARE in the Sedona area.... Geez, I need another cup of coffee!
May 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM

We went to Canyon de Chelley and had our own 4 WD car and checked in at the NP visitor's center and hired a Navajo guide who took us all day through the park, including Antelope house and down to Mummy Cave ruin. This was a couple of years ago and I think we paid $15/hour in cash. That may have changed. It was well worth the price. We did bring lunch and water in a cooler. There are also people who do tours in large groups or in their 4WD vehicles also.
May 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM

twina49, You were correct the first time. Antelope House is in Canyon de Chelly. We did the tour where they ride you around in the back of open flat bed truck to Antelope House and White House. This was the half day tour, but I wish we had done the all day tour. We were there in late May so it wasn't too hot. You can't get up inside Antelole House ruins because they have it fenced off. The ruins are just part of this wonderful trip. The Indian history, rock art and scenery are incredible. I'd do it again in a heart beat but now that we have our own 4 x 4 vehicle, I'd do what emalloy did and hire a guide.

Utahtea
May 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Mapquest is indicating the Canyon is about 5 hours from Sedona. Is this correct?
May 30th, 2009, 06:09 PM

We used Antelope House Tours in Canyon De Chelly last October. The Canyon is quite a distance from anywhere and I would not think of it as a day trip from Sedona but plan to stay overnight at least one night. We arrived there late in the day and drove the canyon rim ourselves. We overnighted at the Holiday Inn and Adam Teller picked us up in the morning in his jeep and we did a full 8 hour day with him, including lunch served by his sister down at the Antelope House ruins. He also does shorter tours but if you do the full day you can get through both canyons and all the way to Spider Rock. Adam is a good guide and his family has been in the canyon a long time.
Jun 14th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I called and spoke with Adam Teller today and made reservations for a half-day tour when we are in Arizona in August. We decided to stay at a hotel in Saint Michael so we don't have so much driving to do in one day.

I had considered staying in a hogan, but the email for the bed & breakfast didn't work and so far I haven't had a return phone call from the owner at Coyote Pass Hospitality. As I mentioned in another thread, on one hand it sounds very interesting but on the other, I really don't want to be lying there at 2 a.m. and wondering what the hell was I thinking?!
Jun 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Saint Michael puts you quite a bit away from canyon de chelly. Chinle is the best place to stay to be right at the canyon. The roads are 2 lane and windy so unless you are wanting to visit Saint Michael for a specific reason you might want to re think your accommodations.
Jun 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Mapquest puts Saint Michaels about an hour or so from Chinle, and the hotel there is a good bit less expensive than the ones near the Canyon, so we're okay with the distance. I drive windy, two-lane roads in Pennsylvania and successfully navigated very windy, one-lane roads in Scotland (on the opposite side, no less!), so I think I'll be okay. Thanks!