Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Antelope Canyon....by water?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/antelope-canyon-by-water-770687/)

KenInPA Mar 3rd, 2009 02:25 PM

Antelope Canyon....by water??

I have seen many posters mention tours of Antelope Canyon near Lake Powell and
have seen photos of this slot canyon. Now I have run across an Antelope Canyon tour BY BOAT from the Lake Powell marina near page. Is this the same Antelope Canyon? Just a different way to get there? Or is this a different tour althogether?

KenInPA Mar 3rd, 2009 02:26 PM

oops....altogether....

emalloy Mar 3rd, 2009 02:31 PM

There is an upper and a lower Antelope Canyon. I've only been to the upper which is the one with the beautiful light effects on the rock that almost don't look real. It is not accessible by water, in fact you ride up a wash for 10 or 15 minutes to reach it and walk through it. I don't know about lower Antelope canyon but I don't think it is on the shore of Lake Powell since we were about 5 miles south of Page when we got to upper and I think lower is near by. Check the web page for it Google Navajo Tribal parks to find it. You only can go in with a Navajo guide in any case.

Myer Mar 3rd, 2009 02:42 PM

Agreed. I don't know about the lower Canyon but there's no water near the Upper Canyon.

A 15 minute truck ride and a nice easy walk thru the Canyon.

WhereAreWe Mar 3rd, 2009 03:18 PM

Technically the same canyon, but a different way to get there. After rainfall, water from the upper and lower Antelope Canyon sections will drain into Lake Powell. A boat tour to Antelope Canyon is not going to get you to Upper Antelope Canyon unless you jump out and go on a solo canyoneering adventure.

DebitNM Mar 3rd, 2009 03:20 PM

There is a Antelope Marina. You can drive there from Page. There is a pretty nice restaurant there. The boat ride from Page will take you past the marina on the way to Delicate Arch.

I have a trip report on here about Lake Powell, I will try to find it; read it - we went in August the boat ride was close to the trip from hell. HOT and they ran out of water on boat.

Deb

DebitNM Mar 3rd, 2009 03:21 PM

Sorry, meant to add the marina and water is not near slot canyons meaning that you cannot see them from the lake.
Deb

Dayenu Mar 3rd, 2009 03:50 PM

I took a boat ride into the canyon. My impression was, we'd left the Earth and landed on another planet. Never knew gray rock formations can be so beautiful!

DebitNM Mar 3rd, 2009 04:19 PM

Sorry, can't find my report, so much for a new and improved search function on here.

schmerl Mar 3rd, 2009 04:34 PM

I know the Antelope Canyoun we walked throuh was no where near any water. They did say that during the rainy season you have to be careful becuase the water will come rushing through and in the past people have drowned. The slot canyon was spectacular with all the different colors of the walls and the different area of light coming in.
We were covered with dust from the ride to the canyon. No water in sight.

Bill_H Mar 3rd, 2009 07:03 PM

Upper Antelope is about 1.5 miles or so up the wash from the highway, lower Antelope canyon is about 100 yards on the other side of the highway. Both are several miles upstream from the lake.

The water tour just goes to where the Antelope canyon drainages eventually enter the lake. It is totally separate from the slot canyons and you'll miss out on them if you just do the water tour.

KenInPA Mar 4th, 2009 04:01 PM

Thanks everyone, I found this description of the tour on the Lake Powell website:

"Antelope Canyon Cruise

1 1/2 hour Antelope Canyon Cruise: Cruise scenic Antelope Canyon (waterside only), with its dramatic steep, red sandstone walls. Trip lasts 1-1/2 hours and includes a viewing of Glen Canyon Dam."

Another tour mentions Antelope Canyon this way:

"Navajo Tapestry Cruise
Voyage to dramatic Navajo Canyon, with dark desert varnish that appears like a tapestry on towering rock walls, and grand views of Tower Butte and Glen Canyon Dam. This cruise also includes a trip to Antelope Canyon. Tour lasts three hours."

Has anyone been on one of these Lake Powell cruises??

Tried to call them but no one answers...