Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Another "where should I go" thread - summer in US by air (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/another-where-should-i-go-thread-summer-in-us-by-air-977117/)

gail May 7th, 2013 01:12 PM

Another "where should I go" thread - summer in US by air

Live in Boston. May have about a week with adult daughter if she changes jobs. Have USAir certificate - buy-one-@ $250+/get-one-@ $149. And lots of Delta and United miles.

We have been almost everywhere within 1-day drive of Boston except some parts of eastern Canada, so probably would fly. Have also been to SF, San Diego, Yellowstone, Pacific Northwest. Neither have been to much of the center of the US.

Like food/wine, authentic things to see, mild activity (not hiking or zip-lining), museums/history, photography. Spectator sports - probably baseball since summer - a plus. Would consider outside of US - have had a thought of Azores or Lisbon. Dtr is fluent in Spanish, but she has been to most of southern and central Europe already and would prefer someplace new. Northern Europe - although not London - might also make a list. Not a big fan of huge cities - but small ones are OK.

Our favorite trip was a year ago to northern Italy. But with only a week, perhaps US makes more sense.

rncheryl May 7th, 2013 01:31 PM

Chicago? Lots of museums, the aquarium, 2 baseball teams. Taste of Chicago. Taste of Chicago in June is fun.

Ditto to Dublin, Ireland.

Gardyloo May 7th, 2013 01:50 PM

Amsterdam. Big but quiet (bicycle bells), great museums, everybody speaks English, good day trips to Edam, Haarlem, Delft, North Sea coast. Travel time about the same as to the west coast.

Agree re Chicago.

Black Hills - Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, Lead, Badlands NP.

Banff/Jasper NPs - 90 min. from Calgary

Eastern Canada - been to Quebec City? Cape Breton NS?

DebitNM May 7th, 2013 02:48 PM

Come to New Mexico. Food, nature, culture, museums, outdoors, Spanish, AAA baseball team in a great park, music, so much more.

ElendilPickle May 7th, 2013 03:30 PM

DebitNM beat me to it. :-)

Lee Ann

DebitNM May 7th, 2013 03:44 PM

And of course, NM has Lee Ann and me! : o)

Ackislander May 9th, 2013 03:02 AM

Chicago is awesome for many of the same reasons Boston is awesome, but there are a lot of lessons Menino could have learned if he had ever ventured beyond 495 in how to make a big city work. It is not so awesome in the winter, so summer is. Good time to go.

Northwestern NM is indeed a spectacular place to visit with extremely interesting historical, cultural and ethnic interest.

Edinburgh before August when the Festival makes it hard to find lodging. Three days in the city, three days touring.

Barblab May 9th, 2013 05:03 AM

Buenos Aries, overnight flight but not the time zone adjustment of Europe. You could throw in an overnight at Iguazu Falls, amazing. Easy to get by with English, but gives your daughter the opportunity to use her Spanish too.

emalloy May 9th, 2013 05:10 AM

Fly into Albuquerque and spend a few days in Santa Fe. Nice museums, beautiful scenery, good food.

Gretchen May 9th, 2013 05:55 AM

Well, Paris always gets my vote. It is a big city that just doesn't "feel" big.
And Charleston/Savannah would always make a list.
BUT have to agree about Santa Fe et al.

DebitNM May 9th, 2013 07:19 AM

4 votes for ABQ/SF. It's in the lead!!

amyb May 9th, 2013 08:37 AM

I vote either Chicago or Amsterdam of the above. I finally went to Chicago for the first time in March and loved it, except so damn cold (and this from a life-long Bostonian). It gets right what I think NYC gets wrong. In a good way.

With "about" a week, I'd want direct flights to Europe to maximize time. London? Paris? There's an airline that flies direct Boston to Azores in something like 4 1/2 hours?