Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Another plug for Innisfree Garden in the Hudson Valley (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/another-plug-for-innisfree-garden-in-the-hudson-valley-1047504/)

HowardR Jun 8th, 2015 05:31 AM

Another plug for Innisfree Garden in the Hudson Valley

Once again, I want urge anyone who lives in or visits the Hudson Valley area to spend time at Innisfree Garden in Millbrook. It's a spectacular site, as you spend two hours or more walking through the beauties of nature. Check it out on google. It's open Wenesdays through Sundays, and with an admission price of $6 on weekdays and $7 on weekends, it's one of the area's great bargains.

Located about 75 miles north of the city, it's easy to drive to, being less than 4 miles off the Taconic State Parkway.

jubilada Jun 8th, 2015 05:35 AM

Yes, s good reminder of a great spot.

starrs Jun 8th, 2015 06:37 AM

Good to know. Thanks!

AJPeabody Jun 9th, 2015 09:58 AM

Oops. Another thing added to the to do list.

HowardR Jun 9th, 2015 10:36 AM

Two more pieces of advice: When you go, try to get there before noon, as it will insure a better parking space. And, bring lunch....there are picnic tables on site.

Incidentally, it never seems to be overly crowded.....at least not when we've been there.

Craig Jun 14th, 2015 02:13 PM

We went today and really enjoyed it, a 1-1/2 hour scenic drive from our home just west of Hartford, CT. We've been to many gardens around the world (as far away as Sri Lanka) and this one ranks in the upper tier - maybe not in the class of the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney but a very nice place to spend a couple of hours, none-the-less. We had a nice lunch in the picnic area overlooking the lake. There was plenty of parking even when we left in mid-afternoon. Admission on the weekends is $8.

HowardR Apr 10th, 2016 09:12 AM

Time for my annual plug for this wonderful site in the Hudson Valley. It's open for the next three Saturdays and then starts its regular five-day Wednesday thru Sunday schedule starting May 7.

HowardR Sep 2nd, 2016 06:35 PM

We spent another glorious day there today and just had to again urge you to visit. The weather was indeed perfect for spending time at the sit. The months of September and October actually are probably the best times to visit, as the weather is milder than during the summer months. It closes for the season on October 20.

starrs Sep 2nd, 2016 07:11 PM

Thanks for the reminder!

travelottie Sep 4th, 2016 04:05 AM

Thank you - I've bookmarked and plan to go as soon as possible. I live less than 2 hrs away and never heard of it.

HowardR Sep 4th, 2016 06:09 AM

You won't be disappointed. To us, Innisfree Garden and Storm King Art Center are the top two must-visit sites in the Hudson Valley.

starrs Sep 4th, 2016 07:37 AM

HowardR, I'd really love for you to help me plan a trip to the Hudson Valley. Friends recently returned and I'm sure will provide input. They enjoyed the FDR homes and I'd love to go to Val-Kill and see Eleanor's Stone Cottage. I was at the High museum in Atlanta recently and sat down with a book of Hudson River Art and decided I must go someday. Sometime. My niece honeymooned there but I've never been.

HowardR Sep 4th, 2016 05:51 PM

Starrs, I'd be delighted to help you plan the trip. There are so many wonderful things to see here. And, yes, the FDR museum is definitely on the A list.

HowardR Sep 4th, 2016 05:53 PM

PS: When planning your trip to the Hudson Valley, make sure it takes sometime between June and October. That's the only time of the year that Innisfree and Storm King are both open.

starrs Sep 4th, 2016 06:11 PM

Thanks, HowardR. Next summer then.
I watched this today on Church's Olana -
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365662102/
That was the trailer. The special was lovely.

Thanks for your help! A friend took a trip there a few years ago and just raved. It's been on my bucket list since then, but lower. It's now moved up the list!

HowardR Sep 5th, 2016 04:15 AM

Your friend had/has good taste. Olana is also an A-list site!