Question for Idsant of Seattle...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Debra

Hi Idsant,
You've given me great info on our upcoming trip to Seattle, and I need alittle more help. Our family of four is to arrive for a week this Saturday, but as of Sunday's attack, we're unsure. Do you or someone you know have information about security at SEA-TAC? The reason I ask is I get conflicting reports on increased security at various airports...some travelers say they have not seen much increase in safety at some locations. What's happening at SEA-TAC? Thanks again for your help...we so want to see your wonderful city.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Dick

They have brought in National Guard for security and are very strict about leaving your car - if only for a minute. Check in is quite long, too. The travelers, to judge from the news broadcasts, seem happy with teh level of safety.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Debra

Thanks Dick for responding...don't know where Idsant is today! I expected long lines, just wanted to make sure you locals were satisfied with security improvements. Can't wait to see Seattle! Hope you have great weather on tap for next week!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:13 AM
ldsant

Hi Debra!

Sorry, I was travelling until tonight. Yes, Dick is right - the National Guard is located in Sea-Tac right alongside the security screeners and throughout the airport. They arrived this past week. No discernible difference with timing through security though.

Enjoy your visit here! Make sure you bring your gore-tex - the temperature has started dropping a little bit. If you have any last minute ?s, please feel free to email.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 03:06 AM
Debra

Thanks 1dsant! Hope your trip was enjoyable! I'm wondering about a few things...are the Mariners going to be in playoffs next week? Do you know if the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria has changed in any way since 9/11, i.e. times, security checks? Are you seeing any fall color yet? And can you recommend a resturant with unusual atmosphere or uniqueness interesting for 12 & 15 yr olds? We will have a rental car.
Thanks again for all your help. Can't say we're not some nervous about this cross-country trip, but we all need a vacation about now!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:13 PM
ldsant

Hi Debra!
I was at the airport this AM and thought I'd give you an update - the lines are long right now - took 20 minutes to get to the ticket counter at Southwest, took another 20 minutes to get through security (this was one person only). Thought you might want to really adhere to the "2 hours before your flight rule". Also, they are definitely clamping down on the one carry on per person rule as well.

As far as the playoffs - I hope the Mariners will be in the playoffs next week! It's all dependent upon how they do this week. If they beat the Cleveland Indians, then yes. Good luck getting tickets though. . .

The ferry to Victoria has changed, but not because of 09/11 - it's because it's seasonal. You can check the times when you get to the airport - there is an information booth by baggage claim where they have the latest schedule along with some coupon books for the attractions in Seattle (there is now a 50% off on many of the attractions or 2 for 1).

Yes, we're seeing fall colors, but it's different from what you see on the east coast. Many of the trees here are evergreen so the changes are more subtle, but there are definitely many trees that are changing and it looks beautiful. Just driving through the Arboretum is nice. A drive through the mountains will also give you a lot of leaf shows as well. Just be prepared that it's not like the East.

As far as a unique restaurant. . .hmm. . .I don't have children, so I'm not sure I know the answer to this one. Many of the different atmosphere places e.g., Icon Grill are more for adults than kids. You may want to try Buppa de Becca (sp?) which is a fun Italian restaurant in Queen Anne/Seattle Center. There's also Claim Jumper which gives massive portions of food and has something for everybody (it's in Redmond Town Center), there's a Gameworks downtown (Arcade) that's fun for teens as well. Again, check with the coupon book - they usually run 2:1 deals for playtime. You and your husband could catch a movie at the cineplex next door to it if you want.

I hope this helps somewhat. Have a great trip and safe travels.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:28 PM
mel

I second Bucco de Beppo! We go everytime we are in Seattle. Very fun, great food, great prices. Kids will LOVE looking at everything. Everything is served family style as well. If you get a dinner by yourself try 13 Coins. There are several locations. A bit pricey but food is great and atmosphere is romantic and unique.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Debra

Thanks 1dsant and Mel...sounds like Bucco de Beppo is a must! Hope the Mariners do stay in the race, but I was thinking of traffic and such. Glad to hear SEA-TAC is on board with full security. Thanks again for all your help.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:20 PM
John

Just got home from the first Mariners playoff game and if they don't start making contact they may not be playing next week! But we luuuuv them, anyway. Cardiac kids, so maybe they're just fooling with us.

A couple of eating suggestions for you and your kids - breakfast at the Salish Lodge, sitting on top of Snoqualmie Falls, made famous in the old "Twin Peaks" TV show. Second, Chinook's, a big seafood restaurant at Fishermen's Terminal, the enormous commercial fishing port near Ballard north of downtown. Third, a carry-out fish 'n chips from the Totem cafe, across the street from the entrance to the Chittendon Locks (also in Ballard) - then watch the boats go through the locks, or see the salmon swimming past the windows in the fish ladder building. Last, really fun is the food court at Uwajimaya, the giant Japanese supermarket/department store in the International District near Safeco field. Choose from several types of Asian fast food, then explore this fascinating store, paying special attention to the fish section - wow.

Another definitely fun way to eat is to get an okay burger on the ferry, then sit at the window in what becomes one of the most scenic restaurants in the world.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 08:26 PM
ldsant

Debra:

One other clarification - the coupon book/info desk is located near the United/Alaska baggage claim area. Sorry. John has given good suggestions, but Salish is kind of pricey IMO. A good place for lunch is the candy/old fashioned style diner down the road from Snoqualmie Falls (thanks John for kicking in my memory!). GREAT caramel corn, samples, hamburgers are wonderful! It's right across from the train.

Also, Anthony's has a "bar restaurant" i.e., take and go down by the Aquarium area and My Piroshky allows you to pick up sandwiches (in the Pike Place Market) in case it's a nice day you can sit out and watch the ferries, etc. while eating your lunch.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 03:27 AM
Debra

Thanks John and 1dsant, again! I'm getting so hungry! One more question..do you know of any resturants on O.P.? We're staying a few nights in Port Angeles. Thanks again folks for all this wonderful info...and let me know if you ever plan to travel to the sunny south!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 02:29 PM
ldsant

Debra:

I'll defer to JohnSevy for restaurants on the Olympic Peninsula. Sorry, I don't know of any. John?