Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Another locale to add to Washington DC trip with teenagers??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Washington DC for a few days in late May or early June. I'd like to go somewhere else for a couple more days while we're in that part of the country.

If it was just my husband and I, we'd probably add in Gettysburg and Lancaster, but I'm not sure the kids (twins age 16) will be too enthused. What about Hershey? Too babyish? Is Hersheypark, the theme park, good for older teens? Baltimore to see the aquarium? Not sure what else is there. Or maybe New York City, although it's further away. We were there a few years ago, and just loved it. (If we do NYC, we'd probably take the bus or train up there and then fly home from there. Can you take large suitcases on BoltBus or the like?)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions. You all can probably think of good teen-friendly places I'm not even thinking of.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Busch Gardens Williamsburg?
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM
kja

IMO, NYC deserves much more time than would be likely as an add-on to DC. Baltimore's aquarium is world-class. Depending on your interests and those of your twins, Fort McHenry and/or the waterfront could round out a day in Baltimore. Another option is Philadelphia, though that could easily take a few days.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 08:13 PM

It's been years since I have been to Hersheypark, but there's some good info on their website. For example, they have 11 coasters with 8 of them being rated as "aggressive thrill ride". There's also a waterpark there with a bunch of "high thrill ride" ratings. So, it doesn't sound like a particularly "babyish" place to me. On the way to Hershey, you could spend a day in Baltimore at the aquarium (which is excellent) and the Inner Harbor. Then proceed to York where you can tour the Harley-Davidson factory.

If you just want to go to an amusement park for the day, Kings Dominion just north of Richmond is a whole lot closer to D.C. than Hershey, PA and has a lot of good thrill rides.

And if you decide to go to NYC, the buses (Bolt Bus, Megabus, Vamoose, etc.) all have storage underneath for your large suitcases.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Hershey Park is the best theme park in the area and totally appropriate for teens. My big, burly Marine husband won't ride some of the roller coasters there because they alarm him Kings Dominion is fine but a bit dirty and less family oriented (ie, more inappropriate clothing on patrons, more profanity, etc).

Gettysburg is cool IF you're into battlefields. Also consider Manassas if that's the case. If not, you'll be bored to tears.

The Baltimore Aquarium is nice but rather small. Check out the Inner Harbor to see if there's enough to occupy you. I happily spend the day there but it depends on what you like.

Finally, Bolt. Yes, you can bring a large bag. Bolt is my favorite bus line. The buses are always clean and well kept. And I like the wi fi!

Enjoy your visit!
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re Bolt...get there EARLY!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 09:03 AM

I've never seen the Baltimore Aquarium described as rather small before.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 09:07 AM
kja

I wouldn't call the Baltimore Aquarium small. I wonder if Hobbert has visited since its latest expansion.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:06 AM

I have been since the last time work was done on the aquarium. I've also been to aquariums all over the world, so I'm afraid I've got a high bar to be impressed. I still go to the aquarium when I'm in Baltimore for a day trip but the price/size equation is getting to be a bummer. For a one time visitor, I'd certainly recommend going, but I'd caution them not to be under the impression that it's an all day activity and to come up with other activities. Fort McHenry is pretty cool if you enjoy historic places.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 07:59 AM

I agree to combine the Aquarium with Ft McHenry. 3 hours at the aquarium then take the water taxi to Ft McHenry for 3-4 hours would make for a great day. Lunch in Fell's Point would be great too.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 09:27 AM
kja

Hobbert: thanks for clarifying!
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Also in the Inner Harbor area is the USS Constellation. If they have any interest in baseball, Camden Yards is within walking distance.
Amtrak allows bags up to 50 lb. You should be able to lift your bag above your head to put it in an overhead rack (no wider than 14").
Another option outside DC would be Mt. Vernon.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 04:21 PM

Baltimore would be great for a day trip. In addition to the places already mentioned, The American Visionary Museum is fun. Not your everyday art museum.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 04:30 PM

My suggestions for side trips from DC would be Annapolis, Baltimore Inner Harbor and Ft.McHenry, stay a few days in the Williamsburg & VA Beach area with a day planned at Busch Gardens Amusement Park. I would think New York City would be a separate trip for another time.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 02:04 AM

Baltimore and DC together make for a nice trip - we did them together when our kids were teens. Baltimore is worth 2 days - Aquarium, Ft. McHenry, ride the water taxis. We took a Duck tour which was a fun overview. An Orioles game at Camden /yards if also fun for something to do in the evening. You can either drive or take train between 2 cities - an hour apart. Stay in the Inner Harbor area - we got 2 rooms on Priceline for less than 1 would have cost regular price, although when Orioles are in town Inner Harbor area hotels are more expensive.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 05:31 AM

Lots of great info here, but the OP started this thread in November and so far as we know has never been back. Cranky of me to point it out, I know, but surely a quick "thanks for the suggestions" or "our plans have changed' isn't too much to ask?
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 05:34 AM

Just a quick update to Gail's post is that the Duck tours are no longer offered in Baltimore due to safety concerns with the ramp.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

My apologies for not getting back. I am the OP. I had read the suggestions and did appreciate them. Plans have changed slightly since my original post months ago - we are going to just focus on DC itself this trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 01:08 AM

Back in 1998 I went to all 13 colonies with my parents and sister. We spent 2 weeks and drove from Virginia all the way to Maine. We spent 5 days in D.C. and saw all the usual sights. Drove to Boston and saw the aquarium and took a boat on the Atlantic Ocean to see Humpback whales. Drove to Portland Maine and saw some stunning lighthouses. Went to New York for 3 days and saw the major sights. Went to Philadelphia for the day and saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and Gettysburg and Fenway.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 03:46 AM

Thanks for getting back to us, kansasmom. Have a great trip!