Another Hawaii question-Pearl Harbor

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Hawaii question-Pearl Harbor

We will only be in on O'ahu for two nights and primarily to see Pearl Harbor (on the second day). We do not plan to rent a car unless we have to. Can anyone suggest an area/hotel most convenient to PH? We will be arriving mid-morning the first day--any suggestions as to what we might see or do that day? Assuming we get to PH early enough, we may have some extra time the second day as well.

Thanks.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:44 PM
bonniebroad

There's a company (Arizona Memorial Shuttle Bus Phone: 808 839-0911) that will come pick you up at or very near your hotel(in Waikiki), take you to Pearl Harbor, drop you back off at the same spot, in the company of a few other people. We found it very reasonable ($6 per person a couple of years ago) and convenient to do, as we did want to stay in Waikiki in the center of the action, where we could walk to everything. A tip: Go to Pearl Harbor EARLY, for the first tour if you can. You won't have to wait in line as long, like later in the day, and will have the rest of the day to do something else! (The shuttle starts picking up about 7 a.m.) Hope this helps!

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:45 PM

You can catch the bus from Waikiki to PH.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:52 PM
bonniebroad

Pumpy, we did look into the bus but it wasn't nearly as convenient, time-wise, as the shuttle. We preferred to spend a little more money and save time. But the bus would certainly be an option......

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Just an opinion. You really want a car on Oahu unless there are budget concerns. Its not impossible without one.Its just there are too many nice spots in driving distance of each other. Too many great restaurants outside of Waikiki, at better prices. I also think you might want to tour Ioloani Palace in down town Honolulu. Friday the Royal Hawaiian band plays on the grounds, you can listen after your tour pack a picnic lunch. It was one of the best tours on Hawaiian history I know of in any of the islands. The guides give a very moving talk that will evoke similar emotions to what you will experience at Pearl harbor. That was my experience anyway, I have done the iolani tour 2-3 times and Pearl Harbor 2. Iolani is really not to be missed.

Get to pearl harbor early as suggested above and if I had the choice I would go on an overcast day.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 09:14 PM
bonniebroad

As Sarah suggests above, yes, a car is convenient on Oahu, depending on how many days you have there and what you want to do, and we did rent one there, BUT we still used the shuttle for Pearl Harbor because it was so convenient and reasonably priced, we didn't have to worry about the parking, etc. We did the same thing with the Polynesian Cultural Center on one visit......... I think, for a reasonable price, it's nice to let someone else do the driving in the Honolulu traffic!!!