Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anniversary---want to go to the NE--any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Libby

Hello,

My husband and I grew up in the Southwest and we are clueless about the NE. Which is one reason we'd like to go. Any suggestions? We love seafood (thinking about lobsters), hiking, and relaxing. No big cities for this trip please! We would like to go over Memorial Day weekend, is there anyplace we can go without huge crowds? What are the beaches like up north during this time? Can you swim in the ocean during the summer?

One more thing, we'd love suggestions on reasonably priced B&B. (Around 100 a night if that is even possible)

Thanks everyone!!!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Pamela

You might want to try driving up the Maine coast. It is very picturesque and quaint. I have stayed in both Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor (Bar Harbor is quite a hike). Boothbay Harbor is a quaint litte area. I went a couple of Memorial Day weekends ago and it wasn't that crowded because it was still a little cool then. Bar Harbor is a great place for hiker, biker, and nature lovers. Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Camden are also some other nice little towns in Maine. Wonderful seafood! I would have to say that you probably would not want to go swimming in the ocean. Even in August, the water is FREEZING. Still it is worth the trip as many people always comment on the natural beauty of Maine.
Have a great time!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Audrey

Libby: there is so much information right here if you can get the search function to work! Look under New England, Maine, Vermont, Cape Cod, etc. Also, the Yankee magazine website has good information for you too: www.newengland.com. That site also has a B&B finder. That said, Memorial Day weekend is before the influx of summer residents and visitors to most of New England, but it is indeed a busy weekend, so you are smart to plan now. The water will be too cold in Maine, might be OK at the Cape and south. Let us know how you do, and if you need more specific information.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:54 AM
sarahh

I too was picturing the quiet beauty of Maine. I can't offer many suggestions, but Maine is gorgeous, as is Vermont. A friend accidently purched air tickets to Portland, ME instead of Portland, OR, said it was the best mistake she ever made. She rented a car and drove along the coast. i'm sure you will put more thought into it, and not fumble on your destination choice!! Maine is worthwhile!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Lizzie

Libby - first you need to make a decision: coast or mountains? It would be impossible to include both on a long weekend trip. My first suggestion would be Nantucket because it is, simply, my favorite place in the United States. It wouldn't yet be crowded over Memorial Day weekend and the island never gets TOO crowded, anyway. I was the for the last week of August and first week of September this year; we spent five nights in the Brass Lantern Inn, and got a deal of $125 a night, which was substantially less than their rack rate - because of lack of visitors during that period, I think. On the whole lodging is a bit more than what you're looking for, but totally worth it. I am sure you could find plenty of places w/in the $150 range. Nantucket is beautiful. There are long bike rides to be taken, ample opportunity for nature walks as well as hikes on the beach, fantastic food. The water would still be pretty cold - but honestly, I am from East Hampton and it's too cold there over Memorial Day weekend most years also - although we do go in! I think it would make a lovely anniversary spot and would love to provide more suggestions for restaurants and activities if you are interested!

I've also always been fond of Newport, a wonderful small historic city right on the water with tons of stuff to do. A bit less expensive than Nantucket, but you'd still be paying ~$150 a night. Actually, I can't think of many places in New England where you wouldn't pay approx. that amount. I spend a lot of time in Newport, too, so have plenty of suggestions - just ask!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:18 AM
curious

If you like hiking what about the coast of Maine? You are near the coast, (where you can find the best lobster), and the mountains. If you stay in Camden you can hike up Mt. Batty. Maine is also a bit less expensive than Nantucket, plus I think you'd be hardpressed to find anything in ACK for less than $ 200 over Memorial weekend. Another option is Chatham on the Cape, which has lots of nice inns, and you could bike (rather than hike), the rail trail. It's lots of fun. Newport is very nice also but again, it's pricey. Also keep in mind that nearly all inns and B&B's will have a 3 night minimum for a holiday weekend. Unless you're from Way up North, the water will be too cold to swim anywhere in New England, but there is still plenty to do. Happy planning!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Lizzie

Just a note - I was in Nantucket, as I said, over Labor Day weekend, which is always much more crowded than Memorial Day weekend on ACK. If the general traveling and economic trends keep heading down the way they are now, I don't think you'll have trouble finding a decently priced place to stay. And it would be a really, really special vacation. The again, as curious says, the lobster in Maine is almost worth the trip in and of itself!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 10:07 AM
curious

Lizzie, I was hoping that prices in New England would come down as they have elsewhere, but it seems that may even go up! Many people in the Northeast that normally fly to a vacation are looking for vacations within driving distance. We were thinking of MV on Columbus weekend and the prices were actually increased because of the high demand. Some innkeepers told me they are getting a lot of business from people who cancelled (flying) vacations elsewhere.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:03 AM
gs

I know you asked about NE - what about Bar Harbor - Acadia is beautiful, especially in off season. From there, I would take ferry to Nova Scotia for a few days (The Cat - the high speed catamarand takes only a few hours) - with the exchange rate in Canada so great it would be incredibly cheap. As far as the ocean - no one over the age of 8 can swim in the ocean in Maine EVER - even in Aug/Sept when it is at its warmest. Try a lake, but even that in New England in May would be doubtful without a wet suit.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:46 AM
libby

Thanks for the suggestions...I'm a little confused, can you go to Maine and do both the mountains and the coast for a five day vacation?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Liz

Libby, my favorite place for a relaxing and hiking vacation is Acadia/Bar Harbor. Wonderful, ocean-view hikes, mountains, and interesting places to eat in the evening. My only concern is the weather, and blackfies or misquitoes in late May. We've always gone late summer when they aren't a problem.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:56 AM
curious

Yes Libby, you can do both in 5 days, or less. Just keep in mind that Maine has an incredibly long coastline. If you like to drive along the coast, as I do, it can take DAYS to travel back and forth out to the points and around the bays. That is where you'll see the most beautiful scenery though so its worth it!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Pamela

Libby-
New England is very spread out. You cannot do the mountains of Vermont AND do the coast in just 5 days (unless you want to spend most of your vacation driving). However, if you go to Bar Harbor, Cadillac Mountain is right there and I believe that someone said that there is a mountain in Camden Maine. I was just at Bar Harbor for the first time on Labor Day Weekend (and I've lived in NH most of my life). It was a very quaint town and I was thinking that it is definitely a great place for the outdoorsy type people. Great to hike, camp, explore, great seafood and good little stores to shop. AND...you're right on the coast. www.barharborinfo.com should help you decide if that might be a good spot to vacation. It's about a 3.5-4 hour drive from Portland, ME though.
Good luck!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Lizzie

Hi Libby - I think I started this confusion - in my post I was referring to the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire, not to the Maine coast, where there are mountainous areas - but nothing like the rolling hills and valleys farther west. And you could certainly do Maine mountains and coast in one weekend.

Curious - that's interesting! We've had the exact opposite situation. A few weeks ago we went up to Newport and got a beautiful B&B room for $75 less than rack rate. On the other hand, we drove up on a whim and were able to negotiate... hmmmm.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Lisa

Maine is beautiful. Spent many childhood summers there. Definitely great seafood and hiking. I hear Acadia is awesome. Only thing - the water is very, very cold, even in the summer (Tho as kids we braved it!)

I vote Maine!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Beth2

If you have five days I would think about the coast and southern New England. The water will be way too cold for swimming, but walking the beach in spring is lovely. Although the mountains are beautiful by Memorial Day, I think what you seem to have in mind (lobster, beaches)says "coast." I would definitely not go all the way up to Acadia and Bar Harbor on this trip. Although it is pretty, there are just as pretty locals without the long long long drive up there!
Towns I'd recommend include: Newport, RI (Best Western Atlantic Beach Hotel); Ogunquit, Maine (Sparhawk Inn); Chatham, Mass (Bradford Inn); Cape Ann, Mass (Ocean View Inn); or if inland, Woodstock, VT (Applebutter Inn).
Now - throwing all that aside - if I had to pick just one place to experience lobsters, hiking, and relaxing away from the big city, I'd pick the Black Point Inn resort in Scarborough, Maine. However, that would totally blow your requested budget! There are some reasonable b&bs in Kennebunkport which is located between Prouts Neck and Ogunquit; Captain Jefferds is quite nice and fairly reasonable.
Sorry my answers are all over the place! Your question was so open-ended, and I don't think I helped close it!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:22 AM
lisa

I definitely recommend coastal Maine! Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park and Camden are my two favorites. So beautiful and relaxing. There is also a lovely inn just outside of Boothbay Harbor that I enjoyed very much, which is right on the water. It is called the Lawnmeer Inn. Check out www.lawnmeerinn.com and for Maine info more generally, www.visit-maine.com.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 12:14 PM
maryp

If you are thinking of Bar Harbor you must anticipate a long drive, even if you fly into Portland instead of Boston. But a lovely, meandering experience through seaside villages and towns. One way to get there is to break the trip up with a night in Boothbay Harbor on the way up (or back). Once in Bar Harbor, I recommend the Ledgelawn Inn. We stayed there two years ago, it's a large mansion with beautiful rooms and a short walk to the restaurants, shops and waterfront. I believe breakfast was included and because we went off-season we got a great rate. The whole Mt. Desert Island experience offers lots of little villages, hiking on Mt. Arcadia and LOBSTER, LOBSTER, LOBSTER.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 04:40 AM
Melissa

If you are looking to save some money, yet see the exact same scenery I recommend one of the Maritime provinces in Canada. New Brunswick is right beside Maine, and the only difference is an imaginary border between the two countries. Your money is worth a ton in Canada, we have lobster, sea, coasts, beaches, small lovly towns, and B&B's by the handful. Someone also suggested taking the CAT to Nova Scotia, also a wonderful idea because NS is amazing as well.