Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anniversary in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anniversary-in-october-471041/)

californiaflyer Aug 30th, 2004 03:09 PM

Anniversary in October

We are going to NYC to celebrate our 10 yr anny in October, without kids. We want to stay someplace nice w/o spending our entire mortgage on a room. Any ideas on boutique hotels or non-mega chains?

mclaurie Aug 30th, 2004 03:51 PM

Lots of ideas. What's your budget? Have a look at the Michelangelo in midtown near the theaters. Also look at the Park South (parksouthhotel.com) and check some of their weekend specials that may include meals, theater tickets etc.

What do you plan on doing? (trying to get an idea of good neighborhood.)

californiaflyer Aug 30th, 2004 07:05 PM

thanks for your response. some touristy stuff, museums, see some theatre or maybe a cabaret show..have tix for "daily show w/john stewart." read in some guidebooks about the michelangelo and it sounds interesting.

mclaurie Aug 31st, 2004 06:15 AM

Many people like to stay in or around the theater area (Times Square). The Michelangelo is good becauses it's in that area but not right in the middle of all the madness like many of the other hotels. The Muse and the Casablanca are similar places. Read reviews on tripadvisor.

The Algonquin on west 44th is an old hotel made famous by the original writers who started the New Yorker magazine. They ate (and drank) there every day. The hotel has lots of character and some people who post here always stay there. I haven't seen the rooms in a while. On the same block as the Algonquin is the Sofitel that's pretty new. While a (French)chain, I hear it's great.

The Blakely is on west 55th so while in walking distance to theaters, it's further toward Central Park and right near the best dept stores on Fifth. It was recently totally renovated (it used to be called the Gorham) and is well loved on this board. I really like that location.

The Lycee is a small boutique hotel on east 54th. Like the Algonquin, it has an interesting history but is not very well known. Tallulah Bankhead, an old film actress, and lived there for a while. The Monkey Bar and restaurant is good. The location is a bit less hectic than the west side places but still convenient.

Probably more expensive than the others I've mentioned, the Giraffe was getting fabulous reviews on tripadvisor. Don't know too much about it. It's in the same area as the Park South that I mentioned in my first post.

Tripadvisor has a feature where you can check prices for your dates at a certain hotel on multiple booking sites. Good luck and happy anniversary. You should book something quickly because NYC seems to be very busy/popular this fall.

scrach Aug 31st, 2004 02:06 PM

Californiaflyer, As always, mclaurie gives the best advice, but the hotel on E. 54th is the Hotel Elysee- not the Hotel Lycee. Have a wonderful trip!

mclaurie Sep 1st, 2004 04:52 AM

Thanks scrach. Having a premature senior moment :-]

californiaflyer Sep 1st, 2004 01:21 PM

thanks for all the tips. will let you know how it went!