Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ANNIVERSARY IN NANTUCKETT (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anniversary-in-nantuckett-521645/)

Cherylee Apr 16th, 2005 04:53 AM

ANNIVERSARY IN NANTUCKETT

My husband and I are celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversay in June, and we will be in NYC the week before. We've never been to Nantuckett, and are thinking it would be a charming place to spend a few restful days and celebrate the moment. Is June a good time to visit? Where would "50 somethings" stay? Dinner? Thanks!

gyppielou Apr 16th, 2005 06:05 AM

Always wanted to try unioninn.com 30 years?!?!! Yippeee!!!

MarieF Apr 16th, 2005 06:26 AM

Cherylee: June is less crowded to visit Nantucket than later in the summer. The weather is usually good, but like other places in NE, can be cool that time of year. I don't know if you are going mid-week or on the weekend - mid-week is less crowded. The Nantucket Film Festival will be held this year from 6/15 to 6/19, which will attract people to the Island. Nantucket is beautiful and restful, with the feeling of being far away from the mainland. Check out the website www.nantucket.net for suggestions on where to stay and dine. We like Seven Sea Street, but there are many other choices. There are fine-dining restaurants (The Pearl, American Seasons, Brant Point Grille), mid-level (The Ropewalk) and casual (The Atlantic and the newly-opened Brotherhood), to name a few. The best way to see the variety of the Island is to either take an Island tour, or rent bikes. The Island is mostly flat, and the bike paths are a great way to explore. I love Nantucket and would encourage you to visit if you can!

mclaurie Apr 16th, 2005 08:24 AM

One of my favorite places and a nice place to celebrate an anniversary. I've never been in June but it can be cool I hear. If that doesn't bother you you should love it. I think in order to provide recos on a place to stay we need a budget. Are you planning on having a car? Do you want to be right in or near town or would you rather stay further out? Do you want a regular hotel, an inn or a b and b?

Here's a calendar of events for June

http://www.yesterdaysisland.com/main_pages/events/

socialworker Apr 16th, 2005 08:57 AM

HI--in June it can be anywhere from gorgeously pleasant and warm to cool to miserably cold and rainy to stiflingly hot!! We were there 2 or 3 yrs ago in June and stayed at the Jared Coffin House--a Nantucket luxury standard--and thinking of the normal June weather, we stayed in the old main bldg w/o AC. I have never been so hot!!They also have a lovely addition to the side of the bldg--across a nice courtyard that does have AC. I would book that if you choose to stay there, just in case...If you want a *super* splurge dinner you can book Chanticleer--which will require a taxi, as it is across the island--but we like the Boarding House which has wonderful gourmet food, and is just a very pleasant stroll from the Jared Coffin.

lolfn Apr 16th, 2005 09:54 AM

the wauwinet is a relais chateaux hotel and is in a beautiful setting, though not near town. they do offer a jitney service to town. www.wauwinet.com their restaurant, toppers, is supposed to be great.

the white elephant is in town and is also a very nice property. we stayed at the harbor house village and thought is was great. nice room, though not big, and decent service.

dining on the island is not cheap. the restaurant, pearl, is fantastic. if you like beef wellington, the wood box inn's version is delicious!--it is their signature dish. toppers, out at the wauwinet, is supposed to be great. i have a list of restaurants recommended by a local on another computer. i'll post back later with the list.

MarieF Apr 16th, 2005 09:59 AM

Socialworker: Unfortunately, I think Chanticleer is now closed. It was sold and converted to a private residence.

socialworker Apr 16th, 2005 10:06 AM

Wow, Marie--When did that happen?? I believe it was still alive and well on our last visit--the only reason we did not consider it for dinner then was that our vegetarian was w/us and there were few options for him.

djkbooks Apr 16th, 2005 11:03 AM

Whatever you do, check the Nantucket websites for festivals and avoid those dates, when rates and minimum stay requirements for accomodations are significantly increased.

gyppielou Apr 16th, 2005 07:53 PM

I recently tried to book a getaway that got silly expensive because we were taking our dog and a vehicle. Due to traffic problems, Nantucket is now charging $175 each way, plus passenger fees. So for 2 to get to the island is $400. The good news is that car reservations last week in June were wide open when I looked, booked and bailed........sobbbb. Oh how I was ready to book Pearl and Couldron!!! And a fish sandwich at the fish store on the pier!!! Maybe in the fall!

socialworker Apr 17th, 2005 07:38 AM

We have gone over, but always without a car. JMO, it is not necessary, and in fact a hindrance--of course, we were not trying to take a dog along either. But for Cherylee, I would recommend taking the "fast ferry" and leaving the car at the Hyannis dock.

Cherylee Apr 18th, 2005 05:36 AM

We are coming from MINNESOTA, so cool would be right up our alley!! I guess we fly to Boston, so what is the best way to get to the island from the airport? I would hate to rent a car, and leave it for five days or so at the ferry. No car would be just fine with us. I called the Wauwinet and inqired about the 8th-13th of June. They said they are about 8 miles? out of town with shuttle service every 1-2 hours to town. Since this is our first trip to the island, is this ok? My husband prefers "hotel type" places vs small B&B's, because he feels he has more privacy. What about the Summer House in Sconset? Is this a place to consider? Thanks All !!

socialworker Apr 18th, 2005 06:14 AM

Hi Cherylee--check out the Bonanza bus and see if they go from Logan to the Hyannis dock. They *do* have service to the Woods Hole dock for Martha's Vineyard, so they may very well also go to the Hyannis dock for Nantucket. JMO--I would *not* consider staying 8 miles out of town, but I do not know your preferences.

Nantucket only has one real town--Nantucket town--which has wonderful brick sidewalks and many places to stroll. The more remote parts of the island would be lovely in their natural beauty but would be of limited "entertainment" value, should the weather take a bad turn. However, only you can decide if you want remote or town....

The Jared Coffin that I referred to is a cross between B&B and hotel. Definitely more of a hotel feel if you are in the annex across the courtyard--the part that has AC, as you are not in the same bldg w/the front desk, but you still have access to the lovely lobby and sitting area in the main bldg. Look at their website which you can find on this general site that has *lots* of info...

http://www.nantucket.net/lodging/

Good luck!! Nantucket is a very special place.

lolfn Apr 18th, 2005 06:53 AM

we went to nantucket last fall. we flew into boston and picked up the bonanza bus at the airport. it takes you to the hyannis transportation center. from there, it is a 5-10 min walk to the ferry port. some people did jump in a taxi. we took the steamship authority fast boat over but that was broken down for our return trip (which islanders complain happens far too often). the hyline was already booked so we flew back to hyannis. i it wasn't much more $ than the ferry and took 15 min. it was a beautiful day and a beautiful flight. then we took a short taxi ride to the hyannis trans. ctr for the bus back to boston.

the wauwinet is beautiful but if you want to spend a lot of time in town, you won't be able to easily hop back to the hotel for short breaks. check out the white elephant. it is a hotel right on the harbor. we had breakfast at the jared coffin house one morning and that seemed nice too.

sconset is very sleepy and the town is tiny, tiny. if i had to choose between the wauwinet and sconset, i'd choose the wauwinet.

mclaurie Apr 18th, 2005 07:30 AM

I'll let others help you with the transportation bit. I'd fly if it's feasible but do be warned it gets foggy often so planes do get delayed but it's so fast from Boston, especially if you're already at the airport.

As to location and which hotel, as usual life is a compromise. A lot depends on how much shopping, dining, sightseeing you want vs. beaching, biking, golfing etc. For the former, stay in town. I think the White Elephant is the best option in town.

I love the Summer House restaurant (not great food but wonderful atmosphere and usually live piano player) but it's not very close to town. Not sure what rooms are like. Wauwinet is the most upscale hotel on the island I think. It's more like a resort and reasonably modern (not antiques). But it is quite a ways from town.

charlesaf3 Apr 19th, 2005 09:45 PM

If you are flying to Boston, it's best to get a connecting flight to nantucket. Might not even cost more than the flight to boston - strange how that works.

And you don't need a car on the island.

Traveler Apr 21st, 2005 09:29 AM

Actually, the Chanticleer is not to be converted to a residence. See

http://www.nantucketindependent.com/..._Page/005.html

for the most up-to-date scoop.

I think the White Elephant is a good choice. I do not recommend the Summer House except for a cocktail and have heard some negatives about the Jared Coffin House.

If you go to the Ropewalk, go for lunch. Oran Mor has great food.

Haven't been to the Brotherhood since it re-opened, but it was good before. Atlantic Cafe is also a good casual spot.

wanderer May 3rd, 2005 02:06 AM

Don't give up on Nantucket - it's lovely.

You definitely don't need - or want a car. Others are better able to help with transport.

My husband and I got engaged on Nantucket late May and weather was lovely. We were able to bike to and sit on the beach (with sweaters) and have lunch. We now have a place (just a timeshare) on Nantucket and it is one of our very favorite places. So relaxing but lots to do if you want.

Tell your hubby that not all B&Bs are the kind where you go to breakfast at the same table. Many will deliver breakfast to your room, or you have your own table and breakfast is open between certain hours.

Two that come to mind that we have stayed at are Anchor Inn and Brass Lantern. If he really wants a hotel, look at Point Breeze - recently renovated and very reasonable. Also check Harbor House.

All of these are a walk to town. Don't stay outside of town - you will be missing out on the Nantucket experience. White Elephant is great but we could never afford it. Point Breeze is in the same general area.

As others have suggested, check out the link below. Has all the info. you need.
http://www.nantucket.net

jennieh212 May 22nd, 2005 06:06 AM

Happy Anniversary! You couldn't have picked a better spot; Nantucket is one of my favorite places in the world.

The Union Street Inn is lovely and is a very short and pleasant stroll from Town. The Wauwinet really is gorgeous but might be a pain to rely on their shuttle and/or taxis to go to and from town. But that depends on your preferences--I myself like to wake up in the morning, walk to Main St. for a cup of coffee and stroll around while town is still quiet.

I've heard that the Jared Coffin House is a bit down at the heels and shabby these days.

We have actually had wonderful meals at the Summer House and IMO the location is unbeatable, but again, you're relying on others for transport to and from town.

Brass Lantern--we've stayed here and it's a great value for Nantucket, in my opinion. Nice enough rooms, large-ish place so not a lot of pressure to be B&B friendly and chatty. ;)

For dinners, we recommend:
American Seasons for dinner--love this place; inventive menu and absolutely delicious food
Pearl for dinner--AMAZING
Something Natural--great sandwiches for lunch
Summer House lunch or dinner

We also love to get cheese and wine at Fahey's and go out to Madaket for the sunset.

flsd Jul 5th, 2005 12:31 PM

Bumping for future reference. We honeymooned on Nantucket and plan to be there for our 10th ann'y next April. The flights are booked; we just need to arrrange a B&B or hotel.