Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Annapolis MD v/s Williamsburg VA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/annapolis-md-v-s-williamsburg-va-1013831/)

Italophile May 8th, 2014 11:33 PM

Annapolis MD v/s Williamsburg VA

Dear Fodorites, due time constraints am looking at Annapolis rather than Williamsburg. Both seem to have lovely old buildings and a lot of history. I'd be interested in your preferences as I can't decide, both seem really good.

Dukey1 May 9th, 2014 01:45 AM

Be aware that "Colonial Williamsburg" consists of buildings in "The Historic Area [which] is an interpretation of a Colonial American city, with exhibits including <B>dozens of authentic or re-created</B> buildings related to colonial and American Revolutionary War history."

The place is great and be aware of what it is and is not.

Annapolis, OTOH, while charming is more like a place which has simply aged well and been preserved with the help of the Rockefellers and be ready for traffic and parking "issues."

IMO you cannot go wrong with either but they are definitely different.

Dukey1 May 9th, 2014 01:46 AM

Sorry, re Annapolis: NO help from the Rockefellers involved as far as I know.

tovarich May 9th, 2014 03:46 AM

<<<<absolutely Williamsburg !!!!We visited both. You get a very good idea how it was in the early days.Paul

Daniel_Williams May 9th, 2014 04:20 AM

I went to the College of William & Mary way back when in Williamsburg and visited Annapolis. Both are pleasant and Williamsburg is a good bit older but given your time constraints staying in DC, my vote is Annapolis. I find Maryland's capital has a prettier location due to its harbor and offers an equally compelling colonial charm with its narrow streets, roundabouts and historic homes.

Sassafrass May 9th, 2014 07:42 AM

I do not know what your time constraints are.

Annapolis is nice for walking around for an afternoon and lunch. It is busy and commercial, but the old buildings are pretty, as is the location.

Williamsburg, IME and I taught there for 10 years, offers much more historically and educationally relating to the early days of our country. Sitting in the building where debates were held about separating from England, and walking across the grassy square where in Colonial times children gathered to play or listen to the grownups argue politics of the day is very interesting.

Between the two, it would be Williamsburg, but only if you have the time.

If you have a car, I offer another option: Fredericksburg, about an hour and a half South of DC. It has beautiful colonial buildings. Many were the homes of famous founders of the country. They offer an interesting tour.

Sassafrass May 9th, 2014 07:49 AM

I just remembered that there are commuter trains between DC and Fredericksburg, so you could do it without a car. That might be a good alternative.

Italophile May 12th, 2014 01:44 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I am teetering towards Annapolis, and doing a train trip to Fredericksburg. I really do appreciate all your recommendations.

flpab May 17th, 2014 04:52 PM

Love Annapolis!