Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anna Maria, Longboat Key or Pass-A-Grille FL in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:39 AM
LPS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am looking for advice or opinions on the best Florida beach for a quiet, relaxing, post-holiday trip. My husband & I (no kids)are planning a trip for Dec. 26-31. We would like to stay in a small, "mom & pop" type cottage/motel/condo that has a view of the water & a full kitchen. We plan on spending our time reading, watching the water, walking, napping & just relaxing. I can't seem to decide between Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, or Pass-A-Grille. Any differences among them, ideas for places to stay, etc would be very much appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:00 PM

LPS, do you actually have your air tix yet? When I clicked on your name I noticed another thread you started - and yet you never bothered to respond to - that indicated you won air tickets. You were then advised by some very experienced travelers as to where to go, and the urgency of booking your tickets asap. Did you ever read the excellent responses or take the advice offered there?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM
LPS
Original Poster

Joan,
My apologies~ I guess I am still learning travel forum etiquette. As you can tell, while I love to travel, I am still an amateur. Yes, I did take the advice given & called the airline. Their representative advised that I make the final plans ASAP but that I should be ok until mid-September. Now, I just have to decide on the location.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM

You want to fly on the day after Christmas, and return on New Year's Eve. And the airline told you you could wait a month before making reservations - for two free flights?

Maybe I'm the amateur. I find it hard to believe you weren't urged to make your reservations Yesterday. These have got to be the busiest flying times of the year, after Thanksgiving.

What specific airports will you be traveling to/from?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM

joan - Why are you being so mean to LPS???!!! Are you the "rule keeper" of the postings??!!! Maybe she didn't get the info she wanted from her prior posts....or maybe she has changed her mind about what she wants to do with her week off.......Who left you in charge??
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM

While you may find some beaches more quiet and relaxing than others, that time of the year is quite popular with families as students are out of school for a couple of weeks.

Of the three areas you mentioned, I like Anna Maria Island's beaches the best. Long and wide and nice white sand. Plenty of decent eating in the area also.

Indian Rocks Beach between Clearwater and St. Pete has plenty of mom and pop places to stay and a low population density in comparison to areas that have lots of high rise condos and large hotels. Fly into Tampa and drive to either of the two.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM

LPS, you poor thing. I read your other posts. Everybody's trying to help you to death! Believe me, you're getting some good advice (Joan is #1 in my book). Seasoned travelers know the hoops to jump through.

Anyway, which is better of the 3 cities? Longboat has upscaled in the last 15 years. It is hard to find mom&pop there anymore. Pass-a-grille might be too upscale too for mom& pop. Anna Maria has condos only at Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach, mostly house rentals in Anna Maria City. If you are planning to spend most of your time in your accomodations, and/or walking on the beach, then you need to concentrate on finding a place you like in your budget.

I suggest you start with VRBO.com or Vacationrentals.com and see if you can locate a waterfront cottage with a weekly rental rate for all three cities for that week. That will give you an idea of what's available and what the rate will be. Pass-a-grille is MUCH smaller than Longboat or Anna Maria so you will have less to choose from.

All three are really delightful but if you're going to be hanging out at the cottage most of the time then try to find a casa you'll enjoy.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Hi LPS, I couldn't find your other post so I don't know if you specified your price range or not. Here is a cottage on Anna Maria you might want to check out but it might be too large for just two people. I haven't stayed there personally, but have friends who've rented from the owner many times. The website is: www. ahhseabreeze.com Bungalow Beach Resort www.bungalowbeach.com also on Anna Maria is nice (my son has stayed there with friends). On Longboat Key, Arbors by the Sea www.arborsbythesea.com and Wicker Inn www.wickerinn.com were recommended by the same people who stayed at Bungalow Beach. On St. Pete Beach, a mom & pop motel called Beach Haven doesn't have much ambiance but is very clean and relativly inexpensive as I recall. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:08 AM
LPS
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the recommendations~that is the info I was hoping for! I have been looking at so many websites & am worried that pictures can sometimes be deceiving. I came to this forum to get some more personal opinions from other consumers.
I admit I am trying to plan THE PERFECT vacation as we will be celebrating my husband being cancer free for 1 year & this is our first vacation since without including family. So, maybe I am doing too much research & just need to make a decision & go with it!

Thank you for your willingness to share your beach ideas with me!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I'm truly sorry if I came across as bossy, LPS, but I just wanted you to get what you're looking for. In other words, before you worry about accommodations, get that air BOOKED! I'd hate to see you lose out on your vacation because you waited.

I have stayed in Bungalow Beach Resort on Annamaria, and can vouch that it's a charming property - full kitchen and breakfast included, some units right on the sand, walkable to a few restaurants. We had a very romantic beachfront cottage there. They do book up fast though....

PS to nonnigrace: At least I'm trying to help the OP...can we say the same for you?
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
LPS
Original Poster

Joan
I appreciate your apology. I was feeling a bit "unwelcomed" yesterday & regretted posting my question. Today, I understand your concern about getting my air travel booked first.

Thank you for the apology. There is a wealth of information on this site that I can use for this trip & in the future.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM

this is such an old thread but I was researching Pass-a-Grille and this came up. I love Pass-a-Grille having been there several times over the years. There are still actually mom and pops but there are two standouts there. They are newly remodeled Coconut inn and Sabal palms inn. They even have free bikes for the guests so you never have to get in the car! Anyway that would be my belated recommendation. Best of luck!