Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Angled Ocean View or Garden View at the Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/angled-ocean-view-or-garden-view-at-the-fairmont-kea-lani-maui-313952/)

dandrews42 May 5th, 2003 06:06 PM

Angled Ocean View or Garden View at the Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui??

I'm trying to decide whether upgrading from the gardenview at Kea Lani to the oceanview is worth the $500.00 extra. My travel agent told me that the oceanview is an angled view of the ocean so I'm trying to determine if it's worth it.

Has anyone stayed in either or both room types at the Kea Lani?

Is the upgrade worth the 500.00 extra bones for the view in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for your input

DeeDee May 5th, 2003 11:03 PM

We had an angled ocean view room at the Kea Lani a few years back. I don't recall paying any extra for that though.

The hotel is an oceanfront property, so you are only steps from the ocean and the beautiful views at all times. Save your money for something else IMHO. Unless, of course, this is a special romantic trip where the view will set a special mood in the room! Enjoy, you'll love the Kea Lani. Be sure to take the beachfront walk every day just before sunset. Gorgeous, and you'll see multiple weddings along the beachfront as you walk along!

needzavaykay May 6th, 2003 01:04 AM

Agree with DeeDee - Unless the view is key to your vacation(trying to 'set' a mood) - wouldn't mess with the extra $500. We got a great rate, although it had a view of an access road. Didn't really matter to us, since we weren't there for the view - great accomodations, service and restaurants - nice spa & adequately equipped workout room, etc...beach is a given since many of the Maui beaches are great for swimming/sunning...have fun!

kmg May 6th, 2003 05:50 AM

Get the garden view. Then go to Kea Lani's website and sign up for the Fairmont club (it's free). They will send you upgrade certificates. Its not guaranteed since its based on availability, but it might be worth a try.

Note about Kea Lani. The top floor of the hotel is the smoking floor. We took an upgrade to the top floor, ocean view. The room and view were great, but the smell was horrendous. We were also very near the grill & our room smelled like a large barbeque most of the time. We moved down 2 floors two days later.

dandrews42 May 7th, 2003 12:26 PM

Thank you both for your advise. I really do appreciate it.

If I could only give advise back.....hmmmmm

ok...keep giving advise so that your common good will come back around and reward you both in the future.

mmorano May 8th, 2003 05:47 AM

We stayed there in a garden room last Aug.If you are like us, you are really never in your room. The hotel is so beautiful. While we were there both Olsen twins checked in and so did Jennifer Love Hewlitt. The service is great! Try asking for an upgrade. Have fun