Notices

Angels landing in Zion National Park

Old Feb 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angels landing in Zion National Park

Anyone hike this? Would love to know how you did. I am nervous watching videos of this hike but want the adventure!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The hike has two parts: the first 3/4 to Scouts lookout is nothing difficult and that's where probably 75% of the people stop.

Then you have the last part of the hike. From Scouts Landing you can only see a very steep but short climb. Then you're out of sight and have to reply on others who've done it as that's where I stopped.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM

It is a wonderful hike even if you only go as far as Scout Landing.

As you have seen from the videos, after that there are some very exposed sections. I knew I couldn't handle those, and didn't even try. My husband and a friend went on partway, but turned back. Others in our group, who are experience at rock scrambling, went to the top and said it was no big deal. It's all a matter of your personal tolerance for exposure.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM

The first time my husband and I attempted this hike, I expected him to chicken out and stop at Scout's Lookout. I was wrong. I was the one to panic as we ascended that last portion, finally scooting back down on my bottom to the safety of flat rock. I waited a long time for him to finish the climb and return. He was fine, it was scary, and the trick, he said, was to not look down or think about the height. I had thought I wanted that adventure but it has now been permanently crossed off my list.

I do think you must use extreme caution, even though hundreds of people hike this trail in any given week. I have always been a very confident hiker, but did take a shocking, near-disastrous fall in Hidden Canyon last Spring. (Luckily, I landed in a pool of water, saving me from more serious injury). While talking with one of the rangers later, he told us that people often take risks they normally wouldn't consider because there are so many other people around doing the same thing, whereas they wouldn't dream of doing these things if they were out in an isolated area.

I'm not saying don't do the hike. Just use common sense and don't do it just because others are. It's a beautiful hike up to Scout's Lookout.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 04:52 PM

I was there last September with my daughter. My intention was to stop at Scouts Lookout. When we got there she told me she wanted to go on.

I told her that if I thought she would have wanted to do it we wouldn't have gone started the hike. I told her I wouldn't mind if she went on if she didn't have parents, a husband and daughter.

She didn't argue.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 08:00 PM

My entire family did this hike Easter day 2010. Myself and my wife 48y/o, boy-girl twins 13y/o, and my youngest daughter 10y/o. Myself and the 13y/o daughter are the most afraid of heights and that first 100 yards was one hand on the chain the other in her hand. It was moderately difficult but we do hike alot. The biggest problem is the height and narrow trail if you can ignore that. It is part climb but the trail is mostly improved with chain hand holds and carved steps. That day a huge extended family made the hike with one 6y/o doing it for the fist time. Many more older individuals and younger children. It made my wife and I feel better because we thought are youngest maybe to young to attempt it but there was at least a half dozen younger than her. The view is spectacular and the sence of accomplishment priceless.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 03:28 AM

By all means DO THIS HIKE!!

Here is a link to our photos from OCT 09. You can see a lot of photos of Angels Landing and The Narrows, so maybe it will answer some of you questions. These two hikes are considered by most websights to be two of the top ten hikes in America.

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...CS_003=4433951
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:07 AM

Agree with spirobulldog and the the others: by all means do the hike, even just to Scouts Landing.

Take care on the exposed sections. The biggest concern might be if there is a strong, gusty wind. In that case I might think twice about the final section. Also turn around if there is a storm heading your way.

Here is a photo taken from Scouts Landing looking up at the route ahead (click 'original' below photo to see full size):
http://www.pbase.com/mangoman/image/115011090

A section of the chains, see it's not bad:
http://www.pbase.com/mangoman/image/115011138

Summit view, see a kid in sneakers made it no trouble!
http://www.pbase.com/mangoman/image/115011401

Have fun!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:34 AM

Walter's Wiggles are unique to anything I ever seen. We went as far as Scouts Lookout and were not let down in any way. There were about 6 of us who had no intention of going further hanging out, talking and we nicknamed ourselves the Walter's Wimps Club.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:53 AM

Ha! iamq, I love your Walter's Wimps Club!!
But, honestly, I never felt like a wimp. The hike to Scout's Lookout is very satisfying.

I'm going to mention another caution for hiking in the Spring: loose sand on sandstone. This was the cause of my unfortunate fall, even though I had excellent hiking boots and thought I was such a great hiker. As the ranger said, "Focus, plant your feet firmly, and really, really FOCUS." (I thought I was, but...I guess not enough). Big lesson learned, though.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Love the pics Nelson! Thank you everyone!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Here is a link to the pictures my wife and I took on our way up, all the way to the top.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1129843...AngelSLanding#

I wanted to stop at Scouts Landing, mainly because I was worried about my wife, but she wouldn't have it. So we went up, and I was thrilled that we did. It is fairly strenuous, and I would call it risky, but not dangerous, though you must stick right to the route, and be extra cautious when you are passing hikers coming the opposite direction. I think the most important rule is to make sure you aren't passing someone while using the chains.

But boy, when you get to the top, the view is amazing, and the feeling is great. That said, I'm not entirely sure I would do it another time if I were to be out there again... (that is, unless she makes me!)
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM

smetz, your pics display the route perfectly! And #19 is exactly why I couldn't do it. Congratulations!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM

It's really not bad at all. I hiked this once with a Black Labrador, for heaven's sake... all the way to the top. Made him a little nervous but if he did it, so can you.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM

elnap, yes that picture was taken going back down, which I definitely found to be more "thrilling" than going up. I was really happy to get back down to Scout's Lookout.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM

James,

Did you know dogs are not allowed on the trails in national parks? Shame on you.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah, that picture #19 is bad when hikers are going in both directions. Someone has to let go of the chain for a brief moment. I got tickled at my daughter(14 when we did it). She wasn't going to let go of the chain for anyone. There was also a few feet that she scooted along on her behind and wouldn't stand up. I don't think it is really that dangerous, though.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 08:23 AM

I am glad I didn't have to share the chains with James' dog. Yikes.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow..smetz...I was wondering if it was scary going down then up!?
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM

It was scary going up too, but since you are looking up for the most part it doesn't register as much. Going down, your view is, well, down, and you really feel it.

But JamesB is right too - if you stick to the route and nothing goes wrong, you are fine. It's not like walking on a window ledge, even though some of the pictures make it look that way. I think the key is not taking it lightly. One false step isn't going to kill you. But two or three false steps, in some spots, can be very dangerous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information