Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Angel Bright - how long? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/angel-bright-how-long-555746/)

lkemerson Sep 1st, 2005 02:02 AM

Angel Bright - how long?

We are thinking of doing the Angel Bright walk/hike. I was wondering at a moderate walking speed, with short rest breaks how long it takes to get to the top...and the time it generally would take for the entire walk.

thank you

gail Sep 1st, 2005 02:49 AM

Are you talking about the Bright Angel trail at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon? If so, I suggest you repost with that as title and then clarify your question. "How long it takes to get to the top" Does that mean you are starting at the bottom of the Canyon? How did you get there? Have you made sleeping arrangements/reservations at Phantom Ranch? In what kind of shape are you in? Please tell me you are not considering doing this is one day.

If Bright Angel at Grand Canyon is not what you mean, then repost anyway with a city, state, or other locating information.

chitowngirl Sep 1st, 2005 05:08 AM

Could you also mean Angels Landing in Zion? That you would hike to the top of. If this is the trail you speak of, I have not gone all the way to the top. I have gone as far as Scout's outlook and I believe it took about 1:45 to 2 hours to get to that point. We didn't continue on to Angels Landing, which I would suspect adds another 30-45 minutes.

OO Sep 1st, 2005 05:13 AM

From ikemerson's previous posts I know she'll be at the GC, and it sounds as if you may be new to hiking from the equipment purchases you've made, plus you have an issue with plantar fasciitis. I've never had that so have no idea how it will impact you, but from aerobic exercise buddies who have had it, I know it can be very limiting! Even the fanatics have had to lay off.

Like Gail, I wonder how you are getting down before the hike out? It really is a hike by the way, and would not qualify as a "walk"! :) The top 1/4th, especially, is very steep. With your problem there'd be no way I'd attempt the complete hike. If you are just planning on hiking some of the trail, you'll start from the top and can turn around at any point and head back. The initial stretch is fairly steep. Allow twice as long to hike out as it took you to hike down, and you should expect to feel short of breath even if you are in tip-top condition, just from the elevation.

It sounds as if you have a wonderful 10 days planned but keep in mind your limitations so you really can enjoy it! The trail has a sweet name, but it can, under the worst conditions or poor preparation, even be deadly. I hate recommending the book <u>Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon</u> to anyone who has never been lest it scare them off completely, but it is a serious eye-opener even to those of us who have hiked portions of it several times and feel as if we know what the hike entails!!

lkemerson Sep 1st, 2005 05:22 AM

LOL

That is what I get for posting a question too early in the morning and while running late for work.

My apologies

I meant Angels Landing in Zion! Color me embarrassed. LOL

I got to work and thought...'good grief, you screwed up Karen.'

Thank you for the replies.

OO Sep 1st, 2005 05:29 AM

Good point chitowngirl--she'll be at Zion this trip too. Angel's Landing is even less qualified to be called a walk!! :)

OO Sep 1st, 2005 05:37 AM

Oops...that'll teach me to walk away then come back and post without checking for further replies!

Like Bright Angel, you can do as much or little of Angel's Landing as you want. It's not a bad hike until the very top. With plantar faciitis, do you have problems with foot flexion? If so that could be a real issue for you!

gail Sep 1st, 2005 10:59 AM

Now know this is not relevant to original poster - but also love book Over the Edge - my kids bought it for me at GC 2 years ago since I was terrified of falling into the Grand Canyon. This year they followed up with a book Death in Yellowstone - perhaps there is one book per National Park.

My husband just thinks I am morbid - but he reads political and economics books that would bore me so much I would jump into the Canyon.

lkemerson Sep 1st, 2005 11:56 PM

OO,

out the door to the airport, but wanted to check what I have now termed my 'good grief, embarrass yourself Karen' question.

Good points on the plantar fasciitis! I don't want to mess myself up for the rest of the trip because I am bound and determined to give this a try.

Appreciate the posts.

and again...oops!

This time I am writing at 3:56 a.m. on the way out the door to the airport. Hope I don't get to Vegas and think...oops again!

LOL

Karen

OO Sep 2nd, 2005 04:47 AM

Bon voyage Karen. I hope you'll let us know how it all went! Have fun--come back a hiking convert. :)