And that's what I love about the south...

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And that's what I love about the south...

Going mid Aug (I know, Ugh) for a convention for Four days to Atlanta and want to extend. In the four days we will see most of the city, so would like to venture out and see more for a few more days.

Have been contemplating Charlston and Savannah (or), but also thinking other sites, doing maybe a road trip to see some things. We did Memphis and Nashville two years ago, with New Orleans and friends in mid AL.

So this year was thinking maybe Ashville? Or Athens and Augusta? Or the coast of GA or the Carolinas. Don't know much about any of it. So what are your thoughts on the area? Don't mind driving a few hours each day if we see something. Civil War sites would be a bonus, for DH.

And food. Love good food. Southern food...any must stop diners, fried chix spots, sweet potato pie, bbq along the way??? We are open to many different ideas at this point, before we commit... Any comments would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Charleston and Savannah are both 4-5 hours from Atlanta, and the drives aren't very exciting. Either place is more than worth a few days - I think you'd enjoy both.

There's not a whole lot to see in Augusta, but Athens is worth a visit if you want to see a college-town. It has some nice shopping, a good local music scene, and definitely good food. But depending on when you go in August, it could be packed full of rowdy students.

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:26 PM
iceeu2

I just topped your civil war sites post for you.

Have fun

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Asheville in August? You bet. Charleston or Savannah, well, not my favorite time because of the heat and humidity. They are gorgeous cities. The GA coast is wonderful and I love the islands, Jeckyll and St. Simon, but it will be crowded. So, if it were my choice, I would head for Asheville for a few days. See the surrounding area, go for a hike, have a wonderful meal or two and enjoy yourself.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM

While you are in Atlanta check the collection at the "High Museum" they are working on an agreement with the Lourve for some "traveling exhibits...
Also the Swan House out in Buckhead has been re-furbished and is beautiful..It is adjacent to the Atlanta Historical Society Building.The latter had (not sure if still there) a great diorama about the Civil War. It outlined year by year the events as viewed by the north and the south--It was very interesting...
Maybe you will hit a :cool spell" !!!
Also "marta" their light rail system has a station across street from the High Museum and you can get to Buckhead easily also...
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

And what about food, ya'll?

I am thinking we might do the Antebellum trail to Athens, Macon, Augusta and a few towns in between. And then up to the mountains for a few days...
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Was just also thinking...we are staying at the big Hyatt in Atlanta for the convention. Would love to find a cool B and B somewhere in the area I was talking about. Any ideas about that? Some quaint, cozy, antique, garden filled b and b with great food and AC???
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM

I am partial to Asheville...you can stop in Spartanburg on the way and have a bite to eat at the BEACON. Hard to comment on BBQ because everyone has their preferences/styles!

http://www.beacondrivein.com/

Really depends on if you want BEACH or MTNS as to which direction to go from Atlanta. The mnts might give you a respite from the oppressing HEAT and HUMIDITY!

I love Biltmore and there are TONS of B&Bs in the area.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/GAmap.htm

looks like most of the SC/NC civil war sites are EASTERN locations. However, there a TON near Atlanta.

While in Atlanta check out this place
http://roadsidegeorgia.com/site/cyclorama.html

My personal favorite southern dish is Shrimp and Grits.

Depending upon your lodging budget I would say to check out Richmond Hill Inn http://www.richmondhillinn.com/

We looked into this Inn for our wedding a few years ago
http://www.bbonline.com/nc/cedarcrest/index.html

We really wanted to stay here but the hotel was booked by the time we made up our mind! http://www.haywoodpark.com/

Try Tupelo Honey for a yummy bite to eat

http://www.tupelohoneycafe.com/index.html

Just use the BBONLINE website for B&B's in other towns along your route!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Classic Southern buffet - Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle 45-60 minutes East of Atlanta on I-20. Might be to your advantage to call ahead for reservations.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM

We stayed at a b & b in Macon called 1842 inn that was really beautiful with fireplaces, a nice garden, comfortable common areas. Rooms had wood floors. We were on our way through, but took a quick stroll around the area and wished we had at least a litle more time to spend a day there. It was a nice little city.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

REading up some in Fodors guidbook, "The South", I think we have defined what we are looking for on the trip: a few days of moonlight and magnolia, mixed in with great southern food and a little history and there is the perfect trip. Travel a few miles around Atlanta to Macon, Athens, and then maybe up to the mountains.

So if you have anything to suggest to make this the perfect getaway with southern flavor, please chime in...thanks all for your help...or should I say ya'll.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Used to live in N.O> and loved the people, the relaxed life style and the spirit.,,,the food was extrordinary also. We were Yankees, but folks simply adopted us and were willing to give us the shirts off their backs. The weather was not so great....mighty hot in summer.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Heavens,
How many days do you plan to stay after your convention? Atlanta to Macon to Athens to Augusta will entail a LOT of driving. I would stongly suggest skipping Augusta. There is much to do in Atlanta. I suggest picking sites either north of ATL or south of ATL if you go outside the metro area.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

To tell you the truth, just heading up to Charlston is starting to look like the place for us. Maybe for three nights after the convention? Leaving on a Sunday...