Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/and-heres-to-you-mrs-robinson-535026/)

Kal Jun 7th, 2005 02:18 PM

And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...

Keeping with a Broadway theme....Long live Anne Bancroft who died today waaaay too young!
She was always a class act.

I would have given my right arm to have a dinner with her and hubby Mel Brooks.

Brains, beauty, talent and a great sense of humor....sounds like a lady who would fit in quite well at our Yountville GTG.

Here's to you Mrs Robinson......... :'(

gyppielou Jun 7th, 2005 02:26 PM

Cheers to you Mrs Robinson! God Bless Mel. Life without that dame on his side will never be the same. A true lady. A remarkable woman.

sallyjane3 Jun 7th, 2005 02:27 PM

Jesus...and I...love her more than she will know. What sad news.

Scarlett Jun 7th, 2005 02:29 PM

We rented a house on Fire Island one year when Anne Bancroft and Mel Brooks were there with their young (at the time) son. Our children played together, it seems like yesterday.
We were very sad to hear this news today.
Anne, we will miss you~

Gardyloo Jun 7th, 2005 02:33 PM

Well said, sallyjane...

bounty Jun 7th, 2005 02:33 PM

I,m so sorry to hear of the great Anne Bancroft's death. She was a wonderful actress and lady...and I do mean lady. Mel must be crushed. We loved you , Anne....rest in peace. :(

GoTravel Jun 7th, 2005 02:37 PM

How sad!

Now that song will be in my head all night however I will think of Ann Bancroft.

gyppielou Jun 7th, 2005 02:39 PM

I wish I could remember the quote.....she was in town and spoke about The Graduate, play which was starring Kathleen Turner, one of many who bared all for the play..........she said it was all so unnecessary, her shot of a stocking leg was much more revealing? sensual? Amen Anne!!!! Thanks Kal.

uhoh_busted Jun 7th, 2005 02:43 PM

OH, one of my favorite actresses...and yes, part of my dream dinner party: Bancroft & Brooks, Newman and Woodward, Karin & Mark and Suzanne & Al (personal friends from the left coast I only get to see infrequently who would enjoy the company).

Little_Man Jun 7th, 2005 02:52 PM

That's so hard to believe. Hadn't heard this news yet, just opened up this post. She seemed so young still, so sad.

Kal Jun 7th, 2005 02:54 PM

I wet my pants at her and Mel's appearances on "Curb" last season.
Priceless. Classic. =D> :))

burper Jun 7th, 2005 02:57 PM

"I wet my pants ...".

It's not too late, y'know. I heard that there's still help available for that. How old are you, anyway?

Burp.

Kal Jun 7th, 2005 03:00 PM

<i> Depends</i> on who is asking.

Cassandra Jun 7th, 2005 03:32 PM

Always thought she was a wonderfully complex actress -- remember her as much for &quot;Turning Point&quot; as I do for &quot;Graduate,&quot; and always admired their marriage -- he clearly admired her; they made each other laugh.

starrsville Jun 7th, 2005 03:39 PM

What a class act.

mclaurie Jun 7th, 2005 05:12 PM

Wow, I hadn't heard this either. Very sorry to hear that. Turning Point and To Be Or Not To Be were my favorites. @};- RIP

LoriNY Jun 7th, 2005 05:14 PM

What a shame!! She was a class act, and my heart goes out to Mel. I remember their appearance on 'Curb' - priceless.

LoveItaly Jun 7th, 2005 05:24 PM

Just heard the news on the 5:00pm news. It made me so sad. I loved Anne Bancroft too. And she was to young to leave us.

What an actress, what a class act, what a woman!

Thanks dear Kal for starting this thread. How wonderful to read everyone elses thoughts on this beautiful and intelligent woman. Peace.

PamSF Jun 7th, 2005 10:29 PM

I just heard the news! I thought how very sad and then how very sad to know Mel Brooks must be very, very sad!

Our friend Richard dropped by this evening with a great bottle of pinot noir. He entered our house saying he was so very sad to report Mrs. Robinson had died.

Here's to you, Ms. Bancroft..may all of us measure up to half your class!

elizabeth_reed Jun 8th, 2005 04:26 AM

Great picture of her on IMDB:

http://www.us.imdb.com/name/nm0000843/